Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making your own wine in a shop

Options
  • 30-11-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while, would like to get into making wine at home, (so far I've acquired two demijohns, and a couple of books from the library & that's it :rolleyes: )

The other week a friend of mine visited a new place in Kells, where you buy your wine kit, and they prep it, you put the yeast in, and off home you go - they mind it for you, & do all the bits & bobs that need doing, and then you go back after the set number of weeks to cork & label up your wine... it strikes me as an awesome idea tbh, of course it's more expensive than doing it all yourself, but I think I might give it a go, while I continue to swat up on trying it at home myself.

Just thought I'd stick it up here to see what you experienced homebrewers thought of the whole concept, as I'd never heard of anything like it before...

http://makingyourwine.com/our-concept

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while, would like to get into making wine at home, (so far I've acquired two demijohns, and a couple of books from the library & that's it :rolleyes: )

The other week a friend of mine visited a new place in Kells, where you buy your wine kit, and they prep it, you put the yeast in, and off home you go - they mind it for you, & do all the bits & bobs that need doing, and then you go back after the set number of weeks to cork & label up your wine... it strikes me as an awesome idea tbh, of course it's more expensive than doing it all yourself, but I think I might give it a go, while I continue to swat up on trying it at home myself.

Just thought I'd stick it up here to see what you experienced homebrewers thought of the whole concept, as I'd never heard of anything like it before...

Try the wurzels orange wine recipes if you dont want to go down the kit/standing on grapes route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Armelodie wrote: »
    Try the wurzels orange wine recipes if you dont want to go down the kit/standing on grapes route.

Prison hooch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

well I went and made wine in the shop, (have to go back in a few weeks to bottle it up) AND Santa Claus (aka the OH) was good enough to get me a wine making kit for Christmas, so I'm going to have to be brave an try it on my own too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

Sorry for digging up an old thread - but how was the wine in the end? Is it worth a dabble or just stock up on branded stuff up North?

It was good & still is :) , my friends who went initially, have gone back several times to make more (they obviously drink more wine than me cause I'm still working my way through the batch I did in Dec) I "made" the kenridge shiraz, my friend made one of the strawberry wines & didn't really like it, but they've made one or two different reds & whites that they've liked a lot.

The only downside for me, as my OH doesn't drink wine is there's a lot of the same wine to get through, if I go again I think I'd like to split the wine with a friend & do half red & half white for a bit of variety.

The shop's been in the news a fair bit recently, and the guy who runs the shop was on dragon's den but didn't get any funding:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/word-spreads-on-grapevine-of-shop-making-wine-for-euro4-289848.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

Thanks for the feedback. Might go in on one with a few pals just to see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

This is great info.

I was thinking of going to the make your own wine place to get the wine for our wedding - think it would be good craic and get bottles branded for your wedding day. We would probably need about 120 -140 bottles mixture of Red & White.

Just wondering do they give you a tasting to make your decision?

Just wondering do they give you a tasting to make your decision?

Hi, I got to try one of the reds before I made mine, not the one I was making though, I think it's the luck of the draw with what he has available for tasting, maybe ring first & see? sorry I can't help any more than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Takes all the fun and satisfaction out of it...

Advertisement