Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hdd not accessible :(

Options
  • 30-11-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, need some help I have a 1tb external hdd and when I connect it a message saying E;/ is not accessible incorrect parameters. When I check it on properties is states the device is working fine. Is there a way I can get access to it without formatting it, I need the files on it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

download gparted and see if that gets you access. its a linux bootable OS that gives you control of the hard disks on your system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

download gparted and see if that gets you access. its a linux bootable OS that gives you control of the hard disks on your system

what will ii do with that then, also states it works on x86 mine is x64

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

it works on all systems.
    once you boot with it you should get access to all your files, and copy them off it via the live Linux operating system.#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

tonydude wrote: »
    Hi guys, need some help I have a 1tb external hdd and when I connect it a message saying E;/ is not accessible incorrect parameters. When I check it on properties is states the device is working fine. Is there a way I can get access to it without formatting it, I need the files on it. Thanks

Had near enough the same problem... external drive was stating incorrect parameters/drive needs to be formatted before using on windows etc.

Here was my thread on it... solution at the end.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86833635

Ive started your method, and its doing something to it, theres about 550gb of files on it so could take some time, come on usb 3. Ill update when its finished, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

Google HDD regenerator and grab a copy of that. I have had a couple of instances where bad sectors or corruptions have made drives unusable, however after letting HDD regenerator do its thing the drives have been good enough to recover data. Hope this helps.

sysconp1 wrote: »
    Google HDD regenerator and grab a copy of that. I have had a couple of instances where bad sectors or corruptions have made drives unusable, however after letting HDD regenerator do its thing the drives have been good enough to recover data. Hope this helps.
    costs a 100 quid, need a cheaper option. tried the cmd prompt method and it froze, any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Is the drive showing up in explorer.
    Had a similar problem with a esata HDD drive that reported message Drive is not formatted
    Right click on drive in explorer,
    chose Properties
    then Tools tab
    then Check drive for errors
    It ran, eventually reported back. Cant remember if I allowed it to make changes, try without first, then try with.
    Drives was recovered.

I cant get into properties keeps saying its inaccessible, I cant even format it, ??????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

You should see if there is a trial version for personal use of the HDD regenerator. Failing that Paragon have some good products with trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

costs a 100 quid, need a cheaper option. tried the cmd prompt method and it froze, any thoughts

Restart your computer and try the method again.... it should take a few hours but leave it do its thing.

On a side note... how did the drive get like this? was it unplugged while reading/writing or was it a knock or a bang it got?

Access wrote: »
    Restart your computer and try the method again.... it should take a few hours but leave it do its thing.

On a side note... how did the drive get like this? was it unplugged while reading/writing or was it a knock or a bang it got?
    Was playing a movie on a tv and it was unplugged ,also got a small knock, but its suppose to be shock proof

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Was playing a movie on a tv and it was unplugged ,also got a small knock, but its suppose to be shock proof

Shock is electricity not a physical push. Its recovery software you should be looking at now and the longer its plugged in the more data you loose.

im gone beyond caring about the data it was only movies, I had my pics backed up else where , just want it back working

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

im gone beyond caring about the data it was only movies, I had my pics backed up else where , just want it back working

Unfortunately from what you have said it would appear getting it back working isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

GarIT wrote: »
    Shock is electricity not a physical push.
    Shock could be electrical, thermal, mechanical, or a number of other types.

In the context of hard drives, shockproof usually refers to mechanical shock.
    http://peripherals.about.com/od/glossaryofpcterms/g/What-Is-Shockproof.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

Snowbat wrote: »
    Shock could be electrical, thermal, mechanical, or a number of other types.

In the context of hard drives, shockproof usually refers to mechanical shock.
    http://peripherals.about.com/od/glossaryofpcterms/g/What-Is-Shockproof.htm

Also - thats likely shockproof when not actually running - when its stopped the drive heads park themselves in a shockproof position.

- but when the drive is spinning the drive heads are floating just above the drive platters - any knock can cause them to crash into the platter causing damage.

+1 for HDD regenerator. Probably your best bet at both getting you data and making the drive reusable again - think I remember a trial where it fixes just the first few bad sectors - might be enough.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement