Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotment in Chapelizod

Options
  • 30-11-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,
    Just viewed an allotment in Chapelizod, one of 36 or so opposite the church on Chapelizod Road

https://www.google.ie/maps?q=53.347628,-6.340239&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=18

Fair play to DCC to turn what was a disused patch of land into allotments, looking forward to getting stuck in.

However, before I hand over the €170 (€120 for the allotment & €50 deposit for keys to a storage container) I am a little concerned about the openness of the allotment area.

As far as I know (I was talking to the person in organising it) there are no plans to put railings up to separate the allotment from both the Chapelizod Road to the South or the rest of the Phoenix Park to the North and East . There is just the existing low wall on the road side of the allotments and nothing stopping deer/ people accessing the area via the park.

So should I be concerned by the openness of the area ? I have never had an allotment and would be grateful for your opinions on this,

Thanks,
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd say the deer are going to be a bigger problem than the people by a mile. When I lived in Annamoe in the Wicklow mountains the deer were constantly coming down off the hills at night and munching everything they could. They can really jump high too. If you are allowed put up a poly tunnel on your plot I'd say go for it, otherwise read up on plants that deer dont like to eat. Apparently they dont like Asparagus and weeds!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gabmullark

Supercell wrote: »
    I'd say the deer are going to be a bigger problem than the people by a mile. When I lived in Annamoe in the Wicklow mountains the deer were constantly coming down off the hills at night and munching everything they could. They can really jump high too. If you are allowed put up a poly tunnel on your plot I'd say go for it, otherwise read up on plants that deer dont like to eat. Apparently they dont like Asparagus and weeds!

Thanks Supercell, yea, my biggest concern is that all the holder's hard work will just mean a big salad bar for the Deer. I do like asparagus though...

G

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Relation's shed at an allotment was cleaned out, so don't leave any tools or anything having any value onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I would be very concerned tbh at the openess of the site to both people and animals, deer in particular... You are paying a rent so should probably expect some sort of site security in terms of barriers or similar fencing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'm surprised too. Our plots are very well secured and even have cc tv cams. But they still get done a couple of times a year. Sheds and produce. It's odd they have gone ahead without fencing. Just take the few essential tools with you and hope your crops aren't touched. I'd be reluctant to go with a tunnel in an open site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 gabmullark

redser7 wrote: »
    I'm surprised too. Our plots are very well secured and even have cc tv cams. But they still get done a couple of times a year. Sheds and produce. It's odd they have gone ahead without fencing. Just take the few essential tools with you and hope your crops aren't touched. I'd be reluctant to go with a tunnel in an open site.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with such concerns, I'll push them to look into this, thanks for the feedback everyone,

G

Advertisement