Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Rapid 2 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Giants are a great bike alright. Great starter bike too. Price seems ok to me, but there are others on here that would have a greater knowledge on pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deco_b

Ok thanks. I'm fairly clueless to be honest. Going to spend the 1000 for the bike to work scheme so want to leave a bit for the essential accessories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I go to work on a giant rapid 4 and do 16km each way and I find the bike great.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I bought a rapid 2 from Duffs a couple of years ago. Its a great bike and the price looks fine. Decent shop too. Just have a think about the flat bars, if you'll be happy with them in the future. They are great but if you want to cycle a bit more at weekends you might want drops. So a defy 2 would be a better option. Not sure what tyres are on the 2014 rapid, but might be an idea to upgrade as the stock tyres can be pretty crap, prone to puncture... Duffs put on some bontrager hardcases, which were v good and not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I bought a Rapid 3 from Duffs over the summer and can vouch for the bike and the service. I got a 10% discount but that may be down to it being a 2013 model over halfway throughout the year. I dealt with a number of staff and between being allowed to test cycle 7+ bikes before opting for the Rapid and subsequent dealing I found Duffs excellent.

As fo the Rapid, I use it for a 6km commute, (part of which involves an old school crosser on a school run) but a very speedy responsive ride that prompted me to take on bigger cycles in the evenings and the weekend that has led to me picking up a second hand road bike for weekend spins. If you feel that this may be something you could see yourself doing, probably consider the Defy as an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ArdRi71

I'm another who picked up a Giant this year, went for a Rapid 3 not knowing what exactly I was looking for. More than happy with it, 36km round trip commute and dropped 13kg on it. Had a friend say 'oh you'll want the drop handle bars in a couple of months' and I dismissed him saying 'never!'. But have now gotten the bug and am awaiting delivery of my new road bike. Still going to keep the Rapid for the commute though.

As for the 10%, from my experience there is 10% waiting to be discounted in all bike shops for large and even not so large purchases. The only issue they seem to have is with those 'cycle to work scheme' company vouchers that skelp the 10% for themselves. Better off if your company can deal direct. Like I said this is from my experience to date and may not be the same in all stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

ArdRi71 wrote: »
    I'm another who picked up a Giant this year, went for a Rapid 3 not knowing what exactly I was looking for. More than happy with it, 36km round trip commute and dropped 13kg on it. Had a friend say 'oh you'll want the drop handle bars in a couple of months' and I dismissed him saying 'never!'. But have now gotten the bug and am awaiting delivery of my new road bike. Still going to keep the Rapid for the commute though.

As for the 10%, from my experience there is 10% waiting to be discounted in all bike shops for large and even not so large purchases. The only issue they seem to have is with those 'cycle to work scheme' company vouchers that skelp the 10% for themselves. Better off if your company can deal direct. Like I said this is from my experience to date and may not be the same in all stores.

+1 on above..

Got a rapid 2 in the summer, commute to work is 20k each way, do it maybe twice a week and 40k or so weekend. Rapid is a great bike but I'm now looking at the defy with drop bars...

Oh and 899 is not a bad price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

deco_b wrote: »
    Ok thanks. I'm fairly clueless to be honest. Going to spend the 1000 for the bike to work scheme so want to leave a bit for the essential accessories

Its obviously up to you, but I'd plough the full amount into a bike - the other odds and sods you can pick up secondhand or from Aldi or Lidl to get you going.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Its obviously up to you, but I'd plough the full amount into a bike - the other odds and sods you can pick up secondhand or from Aldi or Lidl to get you going.

Deffo..

The mistake I made was not spending the full 1k on the bike...

I've since picked up bits and pieces on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You'll need a good lock from day 1, if you're going to be commuting to work on it.

• Advertisement

If at all possible bring the bike indoors, You would be amazed at the amount of scumbags just waiting to take your bike..

The thread on here about stolen bikes is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Saw a Giant Defy 1 (very respectable drop bar bike with 105 drivetrain, and a step up from the Rapid 2 in terms of parts) in Penny Farthing Cycles in town for 899 I think. It's probably better to get a nice drop-bar road bike as well as a cheap beater commuter - especially if the commute is only 7k each way.

Buy something like this and put some slicks on it for 100e total for a commuter. Although you'll have to budget in clothing, tools and locks/helmet into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deco_b

Cheers for all the feedback everyone. I got the Rapid 2 last Sunday evening and have had cycled everyday this week.
    So far so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

great bike enjoy.

deco_b wrote: »
    Cheers for all the feedback everyone. I got the Rapid 2 last Sunday evening and have had cycled everyday this week.
    So far so good

Best of luck, but sad to say in 6 months you'll be looking to upgrade to the defy. Got a rapid 2 in July (fab bike) now I'm transfixed with getting a defy..

Have checked every site,every review etc..It's like a bug.

Advertisement