Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohernabreena/Allenton

Options
  • 30-11-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi All,

I looking into the bungalow properties to buy around Bohernabreena near Allenton estate.

Anyone have any experience with the area?

Bungalows are slight country but right on the edge of Allenton which has council houses and undesirables. Bungalows are somewhat isolated and secure which I think can cut them off from trouble.

Any responses would be welcome.

fyi Im from Seskin View near Old Bawn originally. Currently living in Ballycullen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Da GOAT wrote: »
    Hi All,

I looking into the bungalow properties to buy around Bohernabreena near Allenton estate.

Anyone have any experience with the area?

Bungalows are slight country but right on the edge of Allenton which has council houses and undesirables. Bungalows are somewhat isolated and secure which I think can cut them off from trouble.

Any responses would be welcome.

fyi Im from Seskin View near Old Bawn originally. Currently living in Ballycullen.

You're wrong there; Allenton is one of the only housing estates I know which is quiet and has relatively low levels of crime.
    It is one of the most popular estates for people wanting to bring up families and you'll rarely see anyone move out.

Don't tar all council estates with the same brush because Allenton is extremely popular. I know dozens of people eager to buy there/rent there but it's hard 'cos people are usually there for life.

If I had the money I'd buy a house there in a heartbeat.
    There are bungalows on the Bohernabreena road but they're on a dangerous bend and you might feel a bit isolated.

EDIT: Seskin View has more of a reputation for "undesirables" as you call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Father in law just moved out of Allenton. Was hell, years of misery in the estate. He had an end of terrace house on a green and the kids gave him terrible trouble. A good few burglaries on his road too in the few years he was there. Certain areas might be nice in there but some are far from it. One of those estates I just locked my doors as I drove through. Pops up in google with a few criminals from the estate too. Recently, One robbed the mill pub across the road, didn't take the guards long to find him.

Drive through the estate on a Saturday evening or ring the guards, they will give you an accurate impression of the estate and the one you are looking into.

There is also not a list of people looking to move in there, father in law had his gaff on the market for three years at a very low price before anyone bought it and his was in good condition. Only managed to shift it last year.

Those bungalows are lovely. I'd just as the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I live in one of the cottages on Oldcourt road, if you'd like a look just ask.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

With all due respect FussyOnion, I think your glass is way too much beyond half full there.

I think that the houses that Allenton backs onto (the ones on the Bohernabreena road leading up to the cemetary) are overpriced, given the proximity to Allenton. Your chances of being a victim of crime or the chances of your kids ending up hanging around with undesirables is too much of a risk. No disrespect to all of the honest hard working and decent people who live in Allenton, but let's call a spade a spade.

You should also have a look on the council web site, as there is a new Local Area Plan coming in soon which will mean that all of the bungalows and cottages you're talking about will no longer be the "edge of town" with nice views out your back garden up a hillside.. there will be new estates built up the hill beyond those bungalows.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/viewdocument.aspx?id=3da73097-1f9e-42ee-a012-a25a01049d05

One other thing to be aware of is that there is a youth accommodation centre being built on the site of the old Oldcourt Garden Centre.

May make no material difference, but if I was about to splash out more than €250K on a house in the area I would be doing my homework and going into it with my eyes WIDE open.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

Thanks for the input all.

I know 2 people in Allenton who have advised against it, similair experiences as you mentioned. I also knew about the development planned but not about the Garden Centre piece.

We decided to pass on a bid, pity though the house was exactly what we wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Which house was it as a matter of interest?

Advertisement