Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk overcharge

Options
  • 30-11-2013 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I've just placed an order with Amazon.co.uk.
    The total in my Basket came to £92.74
    I payyed for the items and I recieved an email sayying I've been charged £95.34. Which is a £2.60 overcharge

So I get in contact with Amazon.co.uk using the online chatting system.
    After 54minutes chatting, he changed my order total to £83.43.
    I got in contact with a second person and asked for an email in relation to the order for £83.43 to see where on earth the first person had taken the money off.

Time will tell what I get charged.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

But the decrease in price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Looks like you got 10% discount. The agent may have thought you were initially overcharged without realising it was a VAT thing and compensated you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Boaty wrote: »
    But the decrease in price?

Discount in the name of Customer satisfaction, a failed attempt by the sound of it.

Once a company sell over a set amount of goods into Ireland they must charge the Irish vat rate as mentioned above. Not a case of over charging as accurate costs indicated at checkout before finalising order.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

I did not know Amazon uk charge Irish vat. So if you are a company you can claim the vat back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've just placed an order with Amazon.co.uk.
    The total in my Basket came to £92.74
    I payyed for the items and I recieved an email sayying I've been charged £95.34. Which is a £2.60 overcharge

So I get in contact with Amazon.co.uk using the online chatting system.
    After 54minutes chatting, he changed my order total to £83.43.
    I got in contact with a second person and asked for an email in relation to the order for £83.43 to see where on earth the first person had taken the money off.

Time will tell what I get charged.

Have you ever been overcharged by Amazon?

54 minutes!?

54 minutes!?

54 minutes with the first person and then 45 minutes with the second person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

The agents will be speaking to anywhere from 1 to 5 people in one go. I suspect at peak time for most of Europe, and the season it's more like ten.

It's likely the agent you're speaking to is conversing in at least two languages. Now I'm not excusing the delay, but you might remember it's Christmas shopping season, can you do that?

It doesn't even look like they were at fault - some people simply fall into the category of awkward customers. Reminds me of the time in Dundrum some woman was standing at the customer services desk in the middle of December giving out yards about the queues.

Bepolite wrote: »
    It doesn't even look like they were at fault - some people simply fall into the category of awkward customers. Reminds me of the time in Dundrum some woman was standing at the customer services desk in the middle of December giving out yards about the queues.

If they weren't at fault why would they discount me? maybe the person I was talking to didn't understand about 3% increase in vat.

So what If I was being awkward I just wanted to know where the 2.60 came out of.

• Advertisement

Not a case of over charging as accurate costs indicated at checkout before finalising order.

I was just going by the difference between the price in the basket and the price before finalising order, I did not know about the 3% increase in vat. therfore how could I not have thought it was an overchargement.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

cheers Fred.

If they weren't at fault why would they discount me? maybe the person I was talking to didn't understand about 3% increase in vat.

So what If I was being awkward I just wanted to know where the 2.60 came out of.

Because sometimes it worth more to a business to get rid of someone than keep going. Sometimes you don't know the answer and give the customer the benefit of the doubt. I actually wasn't referring to the issue at hand but the comment about employing babies.

Please bear in mind if you think your Christmas is stressful it's not a patch on what it's like to have Xmas and work in a customer facing role. As I say I'm not excusing the delay but given the outcome I think this was quite reasonable on Amazon's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

To ask a question someone already asked:

If Amazon are charging Irish VAT rate, can this be claimed back if VAT reg'd, under Local VAT field? Seems a bit odd to me tbh, because the items are not being sold in Ireland. If something is coming from the UK, I expect to pay UK VAT rate, unless the VAT is removed and then charged on entry to Eire.

goz83 wrote: »
    To ask a question someone already asked:

If Amazon are charging Irish VAT rate, can this be claimed back if VAT reg'd, under Local VAT field? Seems a bit odd to me tbh, because the items are not being sold in Ireland. If something is coming from the UK, I expect to pay UK VAT rate, unless the VAT is removed and then charged on entry to Eire.

Yes it can. It my understanding if you do business in a state you have to charge the countries tax, and pay into it's revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The agent could have saved everyone time (and saved Amazon the 10% discount) if he/she had realised that the price change was caused by the different VAT rates in the UK and Ireland.

It's something you would expect the Amazon employees to know about.

Please bear in mind if you think your Christmas is stressful it's not a patch on what it's like to have Xmas and work in a customer facing role. As I say I'm not excusing the delay but given the outcome I think this was quite reasonable on Amazon's behalf.

I agree it would be very stressful to work in a customer facing role at this time thats why I was extremely patient and thanked the person for sticking with the issue till it was resolved.

I agree it would be very stressful to work in a customer facing role at this time thats why I was extremely patient and thanked the person for sticking with the issue till it was resolved.

And then came on to boards and implied their staff were incompetent.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    The agent could have saved everyone time (and saved Amazon the 10% discount) if he/she had realised that the price change was caused by the different VAT rates in the UK and Ireland.

It's something you would expect the Amazon employees to know about.
    And then came on to boards and implied their staff were incompetent.

I sure did.

Look I realise it was a throw away comment, I'm just suggesting that you might bear in mind the time of year. 54 minutes isn't excusable but just bear in mind you were given a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Amazon collect Irish output VAT on all sales to Ireland. If they also purchase goods in Ireland then they remit input VAT. They then net the two and either pay Revenue or claim from Revenue.

In reality it's probably far more complicated than that due to thei legal entity structure and possible inter company transfer pricing. But al the consumer needs to know is that while prices will display with UK VAT, you will ultimately be charged Irish VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

So, to clarify,
    OP is charged Irish VAT,
    doesn't know why, so gets on phone to Amazon CS
    spends 100 minutes on two phonecalls
    gets discount of tuppence haypenny
    posts on boards that s/he's disgruntled

Well my time is worth more than £2.60 for 1hr 40 minutes, but I'm glad the OP is happy to have spent all that time to get a discount.
    How much did your phonecall cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

To be fair to the OP, it's never made very clear why the price might jump after you've specified your delivery address - it's something that they could look at, adding a message to say why it's increased.

Advertisement