Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural broadband question(s)

• 30-11-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

My parents live just under 7km from their exchange (by road - about 5km as the crow flies). They currently have an eircom broadband account, and their download speeds are around 0.8Mb.

Vodafone has started calling them and telling them that if they switch to the Vodafone phone-internet package they'll get speeds of 3.7Mb.

The phone number checker for both eircom and Vodafone say they could get speeds "up to" 24Mb (I'm assuming that's what the exchange is currently capable of).

I've always assumed that the problem with their broadband is the distance from the exchange, and nothing would really help that. Do Vodafone have some magic that I'm missing that could triple their speeds, or is this just (as I believe) an agent trying to get a sale? If their line is capable of getting 3.7Mb from Vodafone, why aren't they getting that from eircom?

Their area is listed as due to get fibre early next year. When that's rolled out, is it just fibre to the exchange (and then the old crappy phone lines to the houses), or will they be bringing fibre closer to groups of houses around the area? I presume they won't be physically bringing fibre directly up to your front door, but would love to be told I'm wrong :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My mothers line is a non-standard delivery 1mb line, vodafone website says "up to 24mb"
    Your parents might be on a 1mb package with eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Thoie wrote: »
    My parents live just under 7km from their exchange (by road - about 5km as the crow flies). They currently have an eircom broadband account, and their download speeds are around 0.8Mb.

Vodafone has started calling them and telling them that if they switch to the Vodafone phone-internet package they'll get speeds of 3.7Mb.

The phone number checker for both eircom and Vodafone say they could get speeds "up to" 24Mb (I'm assuming that's what the exchange is currently capable of).

I've always assumed that the problem with their broadband is the distance from the exchange, and nothing would really help that. Do Vodafone have some magic that I'm missing that could triple their speeds, or is this just (as I believe) an agent trying to get a sale? If their line is capable of getting 3.7Mb from Vodafone, why aren't they getting that from eircom?

Their area is listed as due to get fibre early next year. When that's rolled out, is it just fibre to the exchange (and then the old crappy phone lines to the houses), or will they be bringing fibre closer to groups of houses around the area? I presume they won't be physically bringing fibre directly up to your front door, but would love to be told I'm wrong :)

They are liar's , They told me my 1mb connection would be 2mb if i joined , It was not and after a row I was released from my contract due to mis selling, Moved to Meteor 3G in August and never looked back , Will be moving to 4G next week as I am in an area covered by them and my neighbours are having great results with 4g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

colm_mcm wrote: »
    My mothers line is a non-standard delivery 1mb line, vodafone website says "up to 24mb"
    Your parents might be on a 1mb package with eircom.

They had been, but were upgraded to a 3Mb package a few years ago, but they're still getting nowhere near that. I'm just suspicious that if the line was capable of more than 3Mb, why they're not getting anything like that now. I know they may not get the full 3Mb, but I'd expect it to be at least around the 2 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was with Eircom, had 1.6 MBs and moved to Vodafone and the line speed jumped to 4.5 MBs. Checked with domeld on the rollout thread and he told me i could get fibre, called them up and they said it would be installed within the week and it was. 12 down and 1 up.

Advertisement