Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation store - refund impossible?

Options
  • 30-11-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just made my first purchase via playstation store, bought few games. Befoer downloading i realised that one of them is not suitable for my PS3 console (is for PSP, which was probably indicated but i have overlooked it). Contacted customer service and they said that any purchase with them is non refundable and they do not care if i made mistake - my problem, not theirs. That does not sound right with respect to consumer rights. Just wondering if anyone had similar experience? what to do? how to get them to respect consumer rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

You overlooked it though.

It says PSP in the item description.
    Compatible with PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and PlayStation®Vita.
    And then you were asked to confirm the order before it went through.

Your fault to be honest. Not 100% but I don't think you have any right to a refund.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Not a Playstation issue.
    Moved to C.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ANDREW45

I know I overlooked it, but whoever runs this store "overlooked" customer rights legislation.
    I am really surprised that company like that uses "you clicked your fault " policy, any other business would like to make the customer come back by making the experience enjoyable, "you clicked your fault " gets them few euro more but unhappy customer who is unlikely to come back and is going to share the experience with others...
    I was just wondering if somebody experienced that and how do you get that sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I'm don't think they've over looked consumer rights legislation, all be it a rather poor policy. That said it's an interesting question - Are digital downloads covered under distance selling regulations?

I hope you don't mind my rephrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Gru

Even so, the game should still be playable even though its primarily for PSP. The resolution won't suit a tv but you might still be able to enjoy it. Give it a whirl. (Unless its for the vita and requires the touchpad which may be different I'm not certain)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Normally, if this was a bricks and mortar situation, you would have no redress as you made the mistake and no Consumer rights were violated.

However, distance buying (by phone or internet) is a little different. You can return items (at your own cost) with 7 days of receipt. The underlying idea is that you didn't have a chance to inspect they items before purchasing. I wonder if you could invoke that in this case?

dudara wrote: »
    Normally, if this was a bricks and mortar situation, you would have no redress as you made the mistake and no Consumer rights were violated.

However, distance buying (by phone or internet) is a little different. You can return items (at your own cost) with 7 days of receipt. The underlying idea is that you didn't have a chance to inspect they items before purchasing. I wonder if you could invoke that in this case?

The research I did seems to indicate a grey area around whether its a good or a service, which seems to muddy the waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

subject to exclusions and one of those exclusions is downloads.

The OP failed to double check and wants someone else to take the blame even though he is 100% responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The error is on the part of the buyer, the seller does not have to refund him. Downloads are not included in distance selling in my experience.

thanks a lot, i will communicate that to the retailer, see what they say

• Advertisement

The one thing is that i did not download as i have noticed the that the software is not suitable for PS3, i bought the right to download it but did not use it yet.
    On another matter - the online shop software is crap, if it was any good it would prevent me (or specifically alert) from buying rights to download something which is of no use to me. While i am logged in the software knows what devices I own. Unless it is done on purpose to get them more money, but that is short sighted in my mind.
    In that particular case it did not cost a lot of money , i brought this up as a matter of principle

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Miaireland wrote: »
    The error is on the part of the seller, the seller does not have to refund him. Downloads are not included in distance selling in my experience.

The error is on the part of the buyer you mean. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The error is on the part of the buyer you mean. :-)

Yes :) Being awake the whole night is not doing my typing any good!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

ANDREW45 wrote: »
    The one thing is that i did not download as i have noticed the that the software is not suitable for PS3, i bought the right to download it but did not use it yet.
    On another matter - the online shop software is crap, if it was any good it would prevent me (or specifically alert) from buying rights to download something which is of no use to me. While i am logged in the software knows what devices I own. Unless it is done on purpose to get them more money, but that is short sighted in my mind.
    In that particular case it did not cost a lot of money , i brought this up as a matter of principle

The way the store is set up is that you can download PSP and Vita games to the PS3 and then transfer them, mainly with the PSP as I don't think you can do anything with the console if a download is in progress.

In this case, while it's annoying, they are within their rights. There's nothing wrong with what you bought, you just bought the wrong thing!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Games are different,
    if you purchased a game online and opened it most places won't accept it back because its opened and they can't confirm if you;ve used it or not. Downloaded game is the same, as far as they are concerned the op has used it

Cabaal wrote: »
    Games are different,
    if you purchased a game online and opened it most places won't accept it back because its opened and they can't confirm if you;ve used it or not. Downloaded game is the same, as far as they are concerned the op has used it

To be fair it's entirely possible for Sony to check if a download has been used. Even if it where not, most of the arguments re the return of hard-copy games simply don't apply.

As much as I think we're going to see anti-competition legislation against them, EA's Origin platform allows the refund against games simply because you don't like them. Frankly there is no reason, in the case of digital downloads why this can't be the case, if the request is made within a short time.

All this is not to say Sony aren't within their rights, they are, but as I've already said, pretty poor service.

Advertisement