Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To Cork with Family

Options
  • 30-11-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

I am moving to Cork from Dublin in January with the family and looking for some advise on recommended places to live.

I'm look to rent a house 3/4 beds & will be working in Ballincollig.
    Kids are 7 & 3

I see from previous threads Bishopstown comes highly recommend are there any other recommendations.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Tomtata wrote: »
    Hi,

I am moving to Cork from Dublin in January with the family and looking for some advise on recommended places to live.

I'm look to rent a house 3/4 beds & will be working in Ballincollig.
    Kids are 7 & 3

I see from previous threads Bishopstown comes highly recommend are there any other recommendations.

Thanks
    Ballincollig itself isn't bad. Lots of large houses to rent. Bishopstown is an older area and might not have many small kids for your lot to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Ballincollig would suit you. Grand place with loads of amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Ditto Ballincollig as well. Very nice town and plenty of modern housing to suit you.

You could also live in the Western Suburbs of the city. Model Farm Road / Bishopstown / Curraheen aren't bad areas. Housing stock would be older than Ballincollig but they are still nice areas.

Blarney and Tower are also good for commuting to Ballincollig. Generally nice areas. Tower has a lot of modern housing although the area wouldn't have as many facilities as Ballincollig

If you are thinking of Ballincollig, Coolroe Meadows is an estate with some nice modern housing. Would be a section of larger houses there although I'm not sure if there would be many to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Thanks for the feedback guys, there are a couple of options in Ballincollig which look great.

There are also some lovely houses 20/25min away (Using Google Map) from Ballincollig,
    Would this be consider too far out? http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1374972

Any pro/cons to living outside the city, my main concern would be security / isolated etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Thanks for the feedback guys, there are a couple of options in Ballincollig which look great.

There are also some lovely houses 20/25min away (Using Google Map) from Ballincollig,
    Would this be consider too far out? http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1374972

Any pro/cons to living outside the city, my main concern would be security / isolated etc...

10-15mins would have you on the Ballincollig bypass. nice part of the world, but very rural. Hope you've two cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

My two bed caravan is out then ?

PS Nice house you picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

That house is a bit far out from Ballincollig especially in the morning.
    Depends on where in Ballincollig you will be working.
    You should try the drive on a weekday morning and see if it suits before you commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Coming from lissarda towards ballincollig you have some very nice villages.
    Lissarda and Crookstown are about 17/18 mins into central ballincollig.
    Cloughduv is about 15mins, Aherla maybe 10mins and Killumney is only a few mins drive. All nice and rural with local shops, pubs and schools but very close to ballincollig and bishopstown at the same time.
    I live in cloughduv and its nice, i can get to ballincollig, macroom, bishopstown and bandon in under 20mins. Secondary schools to choose from are ballincollig, coachford or bishopstown. Coachford seems the most popular choice amongst my neighbours.
    As said above, 2 cars would be needed if living anywhere other than ballincollig.
    Ps, welcome to cork!

Thanks again for the help, I will be in Cork over the next few weeks so Ballincollig 1st & surrounding areas 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I see the estate agents are at it again, since how long is Lissarda in Ballincollig?

OP Welcome to Cork, so you will be working in Ballincollig, don't discount the fact that the South Ring Road goes East as well, so might be worth having a look over in the Douglas/ Rochestown area as well, especially if you are coming from a well serviced Urban area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Have a look at Coachford, we moved there about 10 years ago,our Kids are similar ages - its a nice handy Village about 15 mins from the west end of Ballincollig - the Kind of place that you will know most people within a month - the school has small class sizes, (They are always looking for Kids!) and it has a Doctor and Pharmacy along with the usual Pubs, Shops, garage etc. We are very happy there.

I spent a couple of days in Ballincollig and it seems very nice but very difficult to rent a place there ATM.

Also it turns out we will be staying in Carrigaline for the proximity to the school.
    Does anyone know what Carrigaline is like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I spent a couple of days in Ballincollig and it seems very nice but very difficult to rent a place there ATM.

Also it turns out we will be staying in Carrigaline for the proximity to the school.
    Does anyone know what Carrigaline is like?
    Carrigaline is the same kind of place as Ballincollig. Nice area and very close to Crosshaven which is lovely. It's also a fairly short drive from Douglas and Mahon which have all the amenities you need if you're not in the humour for going into town. Carrigaline is not near Ballincollig, but you just need to get on the dual carriageway.

Advertisement