Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway FC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Attendance was about 150 from what I read.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, this is par for the course for a midweek first round League Cup game against non-league opposition who are a representative side and not a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, this is par for the course for a midweek first round League Cup game against non-league opposition who are a representative side and not a club.

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And on a Champions League not on the T.V!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyone know where you can get the attendance of all premier league and GalwayFCs league games every week? I understand the attendance at Deacy Park for the first game was about 2000. That is good but how did it compare with other games in both leagues?

I do not see in main papers IT and Indo and maybe the Daily Mail the leading goalscorers in the PL. It would add to its character I think. Is there no interest in it? Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

bobbyss wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can get the attendance of all premier league and GalwayFCs league games every week? I understand the attendance at Deacy Park for the first game was about 2000. That is good but how did it compare with other games in both leagues?

I do not see in main papers IT and Indo and maybe the Daily Mail the leading goalscorers in the PL. It would add to its character I think. Is there no interest in it? Why is that?

Foot.ie website is invaluable. There is an attendance thread http://foot.ie/threads/187964-Attendances-2014

extratime.ie

Anyone know where you can get the attendance of all premier league and GalwayFCs league games every week?

As has been said, foot.ie is very good for that, but you might find soccerway to be a bit easier to navigate. You can click into each game and see the attendance.

Where official figures do not exist, they use best estimates from foot.ie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭abcdef1

Anyone know where to get live commentary of the Waterford game tonight, online ?

abcdef1 wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get live commentary of the Waterford game tonight, online ?

Live text commentary on extratime.ie, doubt youll find live radio anywhere.

• Advertisement

Got sorted, there is live commentary available on Galway F.C twitter account. Looks like Waterford are piling on the pressure in the opening few minutes and should be 1-0 up.

No radio coverage.

Galway FC twitter doing very good updates.

There was some radio coverage on Waterford F.M. Nil all draw and by the looks of it we were lucky to get the point, hopefully the team just needs time to jel...COYBIM !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Second home game of the season against Shamrock Rovers B side tonight. Realistically, it should be our first win of the season. I'm hopeful that we will get a decent crowd out to cheer the lads on to victory, this game will probably give us a more accurate estimate of what our attendances will be for the season.

Lets hope the players give them something to shout about so they'll come back for the Cobh game as well.

Head says 2-0 win for Galway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Im looking forward to this game. I'm bringing 2 people to the game tonight who consider their local team's to be Man Utd and Arsenal and would laugh at the mention of the League of Ireland.
    When I've brought people like that before to games the games have been disappointing and they haven't come back so hopefully tonight will be different.That was back in the Tony Cousins era of God-awful hoof-ball tactics so at least this season Dunne tries to get them to play it on the ground,pass and move style.There's a few very good player's in the team who im looking forward to seeing develop over the next season or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've got a birthday party tonight so can't go. I hope they pick up the three points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Second home game of the season against Shamrock Rovers B side tonight. Realistically, it should be our first win of the season. I'm hopeful that we will get a decent crowd out to cheer the lads on to victory, this game will probably give us a more accurate estimate of what our attendances will be for the season.

Lets hope the players give them something to shout about so they'll come back for the Cobh game as well.

Head says 2-0 win for Galway!
    I'll be there but shouting for Shamrock Rovers. I have to as my nephew plays for them and I'm a Dub, but my sons are Galwegians so someone will go home happy. To be fair the Hoops B team is very much a nursery for the A team so Galway should win this. But they won't be a pushover. There are several talented players there including my nephew obviously. Several have represented Ireland at junior level. I also notice the goalkeeper is ex Mervue United?

folbotcar wrote: »
    I also notice the goalkeeper is ex Mervue United?
    O'Malley is ex Mervue, yes.

He is an excellent keeper and Galway were keen to sign him in the close season but he signed for Rovers instead because he's in college in Maynooth. He's originally from Mayo.

I think he kept something like 7 clean sheets in a row for Mervue towards the tail end of last season. I hope he doesn't start tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

You'll be pleased to hear he's injured, not in that way of course. :) But you know what I mean. So he's not there. It has to be said talking to the nephew they are bit stung from the recent drubbing so they out to prove a point. Which makes for a good match I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

folbotcar wrote: »
    I'll be there but shouting for Shamrock Rovers. I have to as my nephew plays for them and I'm a Dub, but my sons are Galwegians so someone will go home happy. To be fair the Hoops B team is very much a nursery for the A team so Galway should win this. But they won't be a pushover. There are several talented players there including my nephew obviously. Several have represented Ireland at junior level. I also notice the goalkeeper is ex Mervue United?

How dare you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

baldshin wrote: »
    Was at the limerick game. Lost one nil but was impressed, looked a tidy enough outfit happy to play football on the ground, unlike the hoofball of the Galway United era. Downfall may be the lack of a composed finisher.

Just reposting this after tonight's game....we will struggle big time to score this year!

Agree with baldshin, was at the match tonight and Galway just don't look like a threat when there on the attack....hopefully they just need time to jel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 LMellows

What's the atmosphere like at these games? Still have the drums?

LMellows wrote: »
    What's the atmosphere like at these games? Still have the drums?

Pretty poor, there's a few chanting in the old stand, making decent noise for the few that's in it. New stand is as good as silent apart from when there's a clear cut goal chance!.....yet to hear the reaction from a goal being scored :(

Be nice if the club did something to raise the atmosphere at the home games, they did this in Old Trafford recently :)

Be nice if the club did something to raise the atmosphere at the home games, they did this in Old Trafford recently :)
    If the team started winning the atmosphere would improve hugely.

The fact is, there was over 1000 people at the Rovers B game, that's pretty much double what the other "bigger" clubs in the Division like Waterford/Shels/Longford get at home games and that was against a club that brought literally no away fans on a horrible evening weatherwise.

If the team actually starts playing some exciting stuff, if they start to put a few goals past teams like Rovers B then the numbers at Terryland and the atmosphere will improve hugely.

Next home game against Cobh Ramblers I can see less than 1000 being there if we don't get a result at Harps. If we were winning most weeks I think you would see 1500ish which is fantastic numbers for a First Division club. No excuses, the club needs to start winning games very soon.

Simply, people want to support a team that's competing at the top end of the League. Need to start winning quickly or the crowds will drop off very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Part of the problem I think is that the fans are still getting to know this crop of players, some wouldn't have seen them play at all before. To be honest I don't feel a great connection with the players or club yet after being a Utd fan for years its weird to not be able to shout "come on utd" etc. The connection will only be built up with time and with seeing the players giving their all and winning some games too. So I think its to be expected that there isn't a great atmosphere at the games yet but that should hopefully improve in time.

Would you not have said "come on Galway" anyway...

Anyway, atmosphere needs to come from more than just winning/scoring goals. If I wanted to sit in a dead stadium apart from a roar when a goal is scored I'd go to an English Premiership game.

• Advertisement

LMellows wrote: »
    Would you not have said "come on Galway" anyway...

Anyway, atmosphere needs to come from more than just winning/scoring goals. If I wanted to sit in a dead stadium apart from a roar when a goal is scored I'd go to an English Premiership game.

Atmosphere comes from entertainment, which is one thing Deacy Park has not come close to creating so far this season.

baldshin wrote: »
    Atmosphere comes from entertainment, which is one thing Deacy Park has not come close to creating so far this season.
    Good performances help the atmosphere, absolutely. But if you look at clubs and supporters around the world there isn't much of a correlation. In fact some of the most entertaining sides often have the worst atmosphere!

Bit of pyro and some drums. Can't be bet.

Cobh Ramblers at home tonight who are bottom, a must win for Galway you would think and badly needed to attract a big crowd against Shelbourne next week.

Going for a 2-0 Galway win.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

2-0 to Galway FC at half time 2d half just about to kick off ! Live on Galway Bay Fm for those who did not make it

Finished 4-0 to Galway FC ! Great result for the lads onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Next home match for Galway FC is versus Shelbourne this Friday, April 11th, at Eamonn Deacy Park. KO is 7.45pm.

Adult admission €10, concessions €7, U12s free if accompanied by an adult.

Family ticket : Two adults and two U18s - €20.

Further information available from www.galwayfc.ie

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Just saw this on adverts.ie http://www.adverts.ie/documents-maps/1970-1980-galway-rovers-united-match-programs/4475663 Anyone wanna go halfs with me haha ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

-Vega- wrote: »
    Just saw this on adverts.ie http://www.adverts.ie/documents-maps/1970-1980-galway-rovers-united-match-programs/4475663 Anyone wanna go halfs with me haha ! :D

Green bin job

• Advertisement

Good win for Galway FC this weekend ! 2 Big games in the coming week away to Wexford Youths in the league cup quarter final and also away to shelbourne FC who are top of the league on Friday night. Lets hope for some good results . Would be nice to get into the semi final of a cup competition on Galway FC's 1st season.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

Hi,

That was great to highlights of the Shelbourne match, great result for Galway FC , thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement