Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts on Brevity closed!

Options
  • 30-11-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why my thread in After Hours today on the subject on brevity was closed. In the absence of some good explanation I would appreciate it being re-opened but at the same time I regret to state that the action of the Moderator can only lead to genuine posters being pissed off from posting on Boards.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

What was you original thread actually about?

(Btw, I've already explained to this poster that he should direct his query to the mod who closed his thread, and post in help desk if he is unhappy, and post in feedback for more general queries.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Sorry for my haste I have now sent my query to helpdesk. Thank you!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I regret to have to complain about the standard of moderating in relation to a thread I posted yesterday in AH details of which are given below . The post was launched with six well chosen quotations on the virtue of brevity which I thought would form the basis of a discussion which I consider is very appropriate on any forum here.

I also list below a completely false allegation on the thread posted by “NuckingFacker”

Can u believe that the moderator wrote to and accused me of seemingly aiming my post at a poster named “Brevity”

I can only conclude that originally the moderator never read my post and was goaded into closing the thread for what reason I do not know.

I do understand that Boards just cannot be filled up with quotations, in this context the quotations were appropriate, I have no idea what kind of discussion they would have led to but I would have hoped the discussion would have been polite and respectful.

Xenophile.

Great to see that Brevity is tolerated here!

..Brevity is the sister of talent” Anton CHEKHOV, letter to A.P. Chekhov, April 11, 1889

“It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

“Be sincere, Be brief, Be seated.”
    ― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.”
    ― Shirley Conran

“Writing is 1 percent inspiration, and 99 percent elimination.”
    ― Louise Brooks

He's only barely tolerated. He got a 1 week ban for rambling on about some guff there last month. Brevity often has very right wing views on the wearing of fur too.
    Posted by NuckingFacker

This allegation is completely false, I never ever got a ban on Boards, neither have I ever expressed a view on the wearing of fur.
    I reported this post
    Your Thread in AH .............Xenophile.

According to the AH charter Mainly this part we don't allow pointless threads.

YOu followed up this thread with another but this time seemed to aim it at a poster (Brevity) so it to got closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You posted a similar thread over in Politics and it was merged with a discussion thread. You then stated that you would make the same thread over in AH, as if to give the aul two fingers to the moderation of Politics.

That thread was then closed in AH.

You then open another thread(without consulting the mod that closed your first thread in AH), your opening post in the new thread is commenting on someone's banning from AH.

Might I suggest you read the AH charter before posting? One thing I always admired about it was its brevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That thread where you posted quotes, looks just like mind-numbing tat that clogs up my facebook feed, it doesn't offer any discussion and that thread just descended into an off topic mess, so best closed imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Enlightened thanks to Fr_Dougal. In that case, you really seem to be causing extra work for the Mods by creating all these threads simply because you are annoyed at your initial brevity comment was moved to another thread. Please desist from causing extra mod legwork, thanks. If you wish to discuss why the Mod closed your thread, please PM them, this thread is not feedback.

I leave you with this, to end on a note of brevity.

282690.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement