Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two words

• 01-12-2013 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

I came across these two words "braon shinsior" regarding a burial in the Dominican priory in Kilmallock.
    I tried to translate it with Google Translator, but it failed. Only braon was translated as "drop", but it didn't give the same result in reverse translation.Could you please tell me if these two words have a meaning?
    Thanks a lot! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

I came across these two words "braon shinsior" regarding a burial in the Dominican priory in Kilmallock.
    I tried to translate it with Google Translator, but it failed. Only braon was translated as "drop", but it didn't give the same result in reverse translation.Could you please tell me if these two words have a meaning?
    Thanks a lot! ;)

Would second word mean something like senior or old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

According to Google Translator, "senior" is sinsearach, quite similar.
    So if the first word is "drop", do the two words mean "senior drop"? What could it mean?
    I think that a little more context might help you. This is the complete sentence:
    "The top of the tomb is broken in two and there is a small hollow in the tomb, caused by dripping water, which is called the braon shinsior".
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

According to Google the word "shinsior" appears in an older translation of the Book of Ruth.
    An B&#237 wrote: »
    Ceannuigh é a lathair na náitreabhachso, agus a lathair shinsior mo phobuil.

Compare with modern and English:
    An B&#237 wrote: »
    Ceannaigh é i bhfianaise na muintire atá ina suí anseo, agus i bhfianaise seanóirí mo phobail.
    ‘Buy it in the presence of those sitting here and in the presence of the elders of my people.’

So an old non-standard form of sinsir (nom. sinsear) for ancestors or elders I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Maybe it just refers in a spiritual sense to drops from above onto the tomb.

Davidius wrote: »
    So an old non-standard form of sinsear (gen. sinsir) for ancestors or elders I suppose.

So may it mean something like "drop of the elder"?
    Or have I misunderstood?

• Advertisement

pog it wrote: »
    Maybe it just refers in a spiritual sense to drops from above onto the tomb.

Yes, I think it could be something like that.
    According to that web page ( http://www.limerickdioceseheritage.org/Kilmallock/AbbeyKilmallock.htm ) it seems that people believed that drops from Heaven, sent by God, were falling on that tomb as a punishment for a bad conduct when the person was alive.

Advertisement