Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies Gaelic moving to main GAA movement

• 01-12-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about the ladies LGFA becoming part of the main GAA organisation, there was a headline on Hogan Stand about it a few weeks ago

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hogan stand piece came from the fact that Liam O Neill spoke at the ladies central council meeting on that night - afaik there is a motion going to clubs about it, but it won't be passed

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skylady

Girls/women's football under GAA as soon as possible please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

skylady wrote: »
    Girls/women's football under GAA as soon as possible please.

Why?

Become so farcical in our county where volunteers from clubs have to cart soup sandwiches etc 15/20 mile in their own cars to feed our county ladies after training - surely they deserve more respect - needless to say clubs don't have to do it for our men county players.
    and
    My 11 year old daughter has to pay €33 to play GAA - my 16 year old son pays nothing to play GAA !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Become so farcical in our county where volunteers from clubs have to cart soup sandwiches etc 15/20 mile in their own cars to feed our county ladies after training - surely they deserve more respect - needless to say clubs don't have to do it for our men county players.
    and
    My 11 year old daughter has to pay €33 to play GAA - my 16 year old son pays nothing to play GAA !!
    Are you sure about that? Most clubs have membership fees for all players and I know anyone who hasn't paid up at our club (mens) would be left on the bench for insurance purposes!
    But I do agree they should all be under the one umbrella - our men's and ladies clubs have no clue what each of them are doing currently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

and

if the ladies GAA joined the GAA and become one organization things like that might happen less often. But yes men get prioritized in sport and that's due to it being more popular to spectators and playing numbers. It's unfortunate and not likely to change too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

In a lot of clubs the ladies football and camogie actually want to stay separate.

My understanding is that the problem is with the Ladies Association who want to stay separate including my own county. My daughter ( and all females) who loves playing GAA deserves the same rights as her older brother but she has no choice next year (entering U14) but become part of the LGFA.
    Such a waste/ duplication of resources - financial, 'man'power etc at club county and national level.
    The GAA are willing (and could not if they wanted to ) exclude females but the LGFA won't go under the same umbrella. And all would be treated equally - parity of resources - the GAA would have ( and in my opinion would have no problem doing so) treat all equally.
    Farcical situation of two siblings playing for county team - at county training the lad gets fed by the caterers whereas we in the clubs bring soup/sandwiches in the back of our cars to the girl equally working as hard to represent our county - unbelievable!!
    Underage girls county squads using a mismash of old jerseys to make up a playable set - just imagine that happening to boys!!
    Really looking forward to my 12 year old daughter becoming part of this set up next year !!
    Get under one umbrella/ taking from one financial pot and no choice but all will be treated equally.
    We women have to speak up and be treated equally and not accept second best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Totally agree, but just be sure to point out that it is self inflicted inequality that is the crux of the problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

My understanding is that the problem is with the Ladies Association who want to stay separate including my own county. My daughter ( and all females) who loves playing GAA deserves the same rights as her older brother but she has no choice next year (entering U14) but become part of the LGFA.
    Such a waste/ duplication of resources - financial, 'man'power etc at club county and national level.
    The GAA are willing (and could not if they wanted to ) exclude females but the LGFA won't go under the same umbrella. And all would be treated equally - parity of resources - the GAA would have ( and in my opinion would have no problem doing so) treat all equally.
    Farcical situation of two siblings playing for county team - at county training the lad gets fed by the caterers whereas we in the clubs bring soup/sandwiches in the back of our cars to the girl equally working as hard to represent our county - unbelievable!!
    Underage girls county squads using a mismash of old jerseys to make up a playable set - just imagine that happening to boys!!
    Really looking forward to my 12 year old daughter becoming part of this set up next year !!
    Get under one umbrella/ taking from one financial pot and no choice but all will be treated equally.

I agree with you. The situation regarding charges for girls is a blight on the GAA as a whole.
    In Meath every girl that plays aged over 10 years has to pay 50 euro. This is made up of county board, leinster council and national association costs as well as insurance. Our club made a number of efforts to sort it but no real progress made. For instance, the girls could utilise the clubs insurance and should not be forced to participate in the Ladies GAA one. Also, the Leinster council & Central council of Ladies GAA should not be charging a levy on every girl playing to fund their activities.

Afaik, in Meath a boys team as a whole is registered and the costs are less so the cost per boy is way less. In our club boys cost 30 euro and girls 50euro to register and, ironically, the boys memberships help fund the girls side as the full 50 from the girls goes on co board registration!

My daughter was a relatively weak player and we paid 50 euro 3 years in a row and she hardly played a game!! Needless to say she is no longer involved.

The fault is probably a combination of theoverall GAA and the Ladies GAA for not sorting out this blatant discrimination. The main GAA are getting more sponsorship, gate receipts on the mens side and keep it on their side, the Ladies GAA need to work on all aspects of their cost structure.

Lets hope the day comes soon when some clever barrister has a girl playing foolball and they take the main GAA and Ladies GAA to the cleaners on this.

• Advertisement

dixiefly wrote: »
    I agree with you. The situation regarding charges for girls is a blight on the GAA as a whole.
    In Meath every girl that plays aged over 10 years has to pay 50 euro. This is made up of county board, leinster council and national association costs as well as insurance. Our club made a number of efforts to sort it but no real progress made. For instance, the girls could utilise the clubs insurance and should not be forced to participate in the Ladies GAA one. Also, the Leinster council & Central council of Ladies GAA should not be charging a levy on every girl playing to fund their activities.

Afaik, in Meath a boys team as a whole is registered and the costs are less so the cost per boy is way less. In our club boys cost 30 euro and girls 50euro to register and, ironically, the boys memberships help fund the girls side as the full 50 from the girls goes on co board registration!

My daughter was a relatively weak player and we paid 50 euro 3 years in a row and she hardly played a game!! Needless to say she is no longer involved.

The fault is probably a combination of theoverall GAA and the Ladies GAA for not sorting out this blatant discrimination. The main GAA are getting more sponsorship, gate receipts on the mens side and keep it on their side, the Ladies GAA need to work on all aspects of their cost structure.

Lets hope the day comes soon when some clever barrister has a girl playing foolball and they take the main GAA and Ladies GAA to the cleaners on this.
    Let her take up golf.
    See how much that costs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Let her take up golf.
    See how much that costs...

She can decide what to take up herself and I know well how much golf costs thank you very much.

The issue relates to inconsistencies between boys and girls registration fees.

Maybe you have a girl playing and dont care about the cost. The costs as such werent a major issue to me as I could afford it but the inconsistencies were an issue and more so for some families.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

She can decide what to take up herself and I know well how much golf costs thank you very much.

The issue relates to inconsistencies between boys and girls registration fees.

Maybe you have a girl playing and dont care about the cost. The costs as such werent a major issue to me as I could afford it but the inconsistencies were an issue and more so for some families.

Honestly though, that is something the ladies clubs need to come together and rally against. The similar Players injury scheme for men is covered out of membership and fundraising. AFAIK it costs upwards of €200 per underage team plus €1000 per adult team on the men's side per year. This covers a whole host of things that the club's insurance simply wouldn't.
    For example, our (mens) club paid €2200 for this scheme this year. Public liability is covered under our county board fees so no need for the club to cover themselves.
    Every club charges membership, our underage lads pay €30 up to u-18 and are charged €80 thereafter. I do think that charging €50 for underage girls is far too much but you need to attend your ladies club AGM and tackle them over fees as we set them every year at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Your grievances are perfectly valid and I understand your frustration and anger, but from reading your last two paragraphs I can tell you that your target is misplaced, this is no doing of the GAA at all, it is the ladies body who are dragging their feet and a few self preserving elitists don't want a merger. They are convinced that if a merger takes place they will simply be swallowed up and fade into irrelevance, the GAA have never put any obstacle in the way of a merger.

Plus the Ladies don't want to lose their separate government grants and funding for encouraging 'ladies sports'

From LGFA Congress

Recommendations

Management
    1. That Cumann Peil Gael na mBan commences negotiations with the GAA and Cumann Camogaíochta with the view to the establishment of structures that will facilitate the promotion and management of all Gaelic Games within the one organisation. Passed

From LGFA Congress

Recommendations

Management
    1. That Cumann Peil Gael na mBan commences negotiations with the GAA and Cumann Camogaíochta with the view to the establishment of structures that will facilitate the promotion and management of all Gaelic Games within the one organisation. Passed
    Of course it was passed.
    But its only at negotiation stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Your grievances are perfectly valid and I understand your frustration and anger, but from reading your last two paragraphs I can tell you that your target is misplaced, this is no doing of the GAA at all, it is the ladies body who are dragging their feet and a few self preserving elitists don't want a merger. They are convinced that if a merger takes place they will simply be swallowed up and fade into irrelevance, the GAA have never put any obstacle in the way of a merger.

Yeah - I've never heard even a whisper of the GAA being opposed to the deal ; everything I've ever heard suggests that it is/was the ladies body who are reluctant on coming under the auspices of the GAA.

It makes far too much sense not to happen - maybe 20-30 years back there might have been a cultural issue and a fear that the "ladies" wouldn't get a fair shake, but I really can't see that happening nowadays.

Well done Ulster LGFA and Ulster GAA for hosting both the Ladies Ulster Final and mens semi final in Clones this afternoon.

Well done Ulster LGFA and Ulster GAA for hosting both the Ladies Ulster Final and mens semi final in Clones this afternoon.

who played in the ladies match and what sort of crows was in to watch it?

• Advertisement

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    who played in the ladies match and what sort of crows was in to watch it?

Armagh and Monaghan, Armagh causing an upset in defeating last years All Ireland finalists Monaghan who were looking to defend their Ulster crown

Armagh and Monaghan, Armagh causing an upset in defeating last years All Ireland finalists Monaghan who were looking to defend their Ulster crown

much of a crowd head in early to watch them? great initiative and needs to be done more.

Yes good crowd in early. However Monaghan didn't perform to their usual high standards which was a pity when they had such a big audience but well done to Armagh - a team for the future I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

This is why they all need to come under the one umbrella.There is an issue with gate receipts which make this types of double headers rare.

Ladies Football & Camogie should where possible be played as double headers with Minor,U 21,Senior games..Exposure is key

Prop Joe wrote: »
    This is why they all need to come under the one umbrella.There is an issue with gate receipts which make this types of double headers rare.

Ladies Football & Camogie should where possible be played as double headers with Minor,U 21,Senior games..Exposure is key

Exactly. You will get plenty of girls going to mens senior matches that will never see the woman unless they do double headers. Best way to get the woman gaa fans supporting the ladies and maybe even taking up the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Women's Gaelic sports have a crazy setup.

Why is it that there is seperate associations for both Ladies Gaelic Football and Camoige ? That only complicates things even further than they should be.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Exactly. You will get plenty of girls going to mens senior matches that will never see the woman unless they do double headers. Best way to get the woman gaa fans supporting the ladies and maybe even taking up the sport.

Won't happen - its different in Ulster, given the prominence of Armagh and Monaghan as teams, who have superb followings anyway and will travel to finals. Last years AI final, despite Cork playing in the hurling final the night before, Cork supporters were outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1 by the Monaghan support - cost of AI final ticket was €25 I think, off the top of my head.

Cork v Dublin U21 semi final was played before the Cork v Waterford hurling game and it was a shambles. Lot of people missed the first 15/20 minutes of the game due to the gates not being open. Very poor crowd at it as well. Ulster is different, where the ladies and men's board are working much closely together because of the funding that they are getting from SportNI

Double headers aren't going to be the key to it either - its women getting out and supporting their own. I wouldn't get to many of the ladies games since I'm based abroad, but I will fly in for the finals every year no problem. When I'm at home I'll get to all the games I can, especially involving Cork. Problem is there isn't that many of us!

TG4 have done wonders at helping raise the profile level of ladies football, covering so many games

Women's Gaelic sports have a crazy setup.

Why is it that there is seperate associations for both Ladies Gaelic Football and Camoige ? That only complicates things even further than they should be.

Simple reason - Camogie 110 year old, ladies football 41 years old

I'm in Ulster - in the '3 counties' - the two county boards are definitely not working together !

• Advertisement
Advertisement