Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts of the city with over-the-top Christmas lights on houses?

Options
  • 01-12-2013 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Would anyone be able to recommend the housing estates/parts of the city with the ridiculously over-the-top Christmas displays done on houses?

I know it's the Citywest/Crumlin area — but any specific parts where I could get a good few photos (with permission from the owners, of course).

These are the houses normally with charity boxes and stuff.

Specific street names/estates with a couple of displays in a row would be great, because this is part of a photo shoot for a publication.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Cooley Road,off Crumlin Road.
    Right opposite the hospital entrance.

Bring sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I don't know the name of the estate off-hand, but many of the houses across from the Blackhorse (Red Line) Luas stop tend to have 'interesting' sets of decorations on them this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

There's one in Whitethorn in Artane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Bring sunglasses.
    lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

I wonder have they gotten generators to guarantee electricity supply in case the ESB workers follow through on their strike threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

I wonder have they gotten generators to guarantee electricity supply in case the ESB workers follow through on their strike threat.

Thorndale in artane, its been on tv a few times its really cool ;)

last year you could see my elbow on tv3 just saying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There is a house on Bath Avenue in Ballsbridge that has an amazing display. It's on a corner too, so it has lots of space to go mad. It's just up from the North Stand entrance to the Aviva, so it gets lots of foot traffic on match days. It certainly did during the recent Autumn internationals. Leinster are playing a Heineken Cup game there on the 14th, so if you want to get pix of the visiting crowds too, that would be a good day to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

There's an estate on Blackhorse Avenue beside the Phoenix Park where most houses on the street put up Clark Griswald-esque lighting every year! I think the estate is called Donard and every year they get better and brighter, like they're trying to outdo each other. Love it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Finglas is always worth visiting for the lights this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the house near me with the most elaborate display (though its nothing in comparison to some areas of Dublin) has an ESB van parked in the driveway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Thanks so much for the help guys.

But since I'm looking for five or so houses in the same general area, is the area of Crumlin Road the best place to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Coolock always has a good selection of lights on houses. Either up around North side shopping center or around darndale.

There are a number of houses in one of the cul de sacs near the donahies school that do good displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Vivara wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the help guys.

But since I'm looking for five or so houses in the same general area, is the area of Crumlin Road the best place to go?
    not many lights on crumlin road.
    if you are looking at that area take a stroll up mourne road plenty of houses lit up and some are very bright...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Gaspode wrote: »
    Finglas is always worth visiting for the lights this time of year.

There were a few houses further down my road who had the whole giant santa/illuminated snowman thing going on a few years ago but i think they've come to thier senses and i havnt seen anything really over the top in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Finally. A potential benefit to an electricity strike at xmas. The imposition of good taste!

Oh my God ...

I tell you ....

I'm freaking ...

I went to several of the suggested places from this thread, particularly Cooley Road and Mourne Road, and got absolutely nothing.

There were one or two houses, but that was it.

Bring sunglasses my ass! Me, another guy and a photographer were walking around like mad men for several hours trying to find these supposed houses, and NOTHING!

What. The....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Probably haven't put them up yet in fear of the ESB strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Any time I'm around Tallaght I always see houses lit up so bright they must be visible from space!

Tallaght!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Oh my God ...

I tell you ....

I'm freaking ...

I went to several of the suggested places from this thread, particularly Cooley Road and Mourne Road, and got absolutely nothing.

There were one or two houses, but that was it.

Bring sunglasses my ass! Me, another guy and a photographer were walking around like mad men for several hours trying to find these supposed houses, and NOTHING!

What. The....

Is this some new kind of sexual fetish for Christmas lights or something ? Wouldn't surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The Jervis shopping center is OTT, You seriously need sunglasses walking around it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Every year a house on the Ballyfermot Road, nearer to Sarsfield Road, is lit up and looks fantastic. It wasn't decorated at the weekend but I'd say it'll be done this week. I can't wait to bring my son down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a house in around Rutland Avenue that does a fundraiser for Crumlin Children's Hosptial afaik, life sized manger in the front window, etc... not sure if they still do it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, again.

Just to be clear, it's something like this what we're looking for. Not this much, but even a half or as quarter as bright as this is what we want:

tMhQffM4j.jpg

Obviously, we're not going to find something like that, but it's along those lines.

It's for a newspaper.

Also, it would be really helpful if you could say if you've actually seen the houses done up in the past day or so, not like last year. We're going to print soon and can't wait a week for them to go up — they have to be up right now like.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The house I mentioned on Bath Avenue were up 2 weeks ago, at the time of the Ireland vs Australia rugby game, so I presume that they are still up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I've gone past a house on the red luas line at the Kingswood stop that looks mental

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Most people don't start putting decorations up until December 8th - you're probably a bit too early at the moment.

Give it another week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Every year a house on the Ballyfermot Road, nearer to Sarsfield Road, is lit up and looks fantastic. It wasn't decorated at the weekend but I'd say it'll be done this week. I can't wait to bring my son down.

First one I thought of..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is this some new kind of sexual fetish for Christmas lights or something ? Wouldn't surprise me.

Nope, just a lazy journalist
    It's for a newspaper.
    Also, it would be really helpful if you could say if you've actually seen the houses done up in the past day or so, not like last year. We're going to print soon and can't wait a week for them to go up — they have to be up right now like.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's for a newspaper.

Thanks again!

Whatever happened to good old journalism where you actually go and walk the streets trying to find these things out for yourself ?

Now, anybody around here willing to write a business document for me ?

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Do your own background research please. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement