Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch tutor wanted

Options
  • 01-12-2013 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for a native Dutch speaker in the Galway area who is interested in tutoring me in their awesome language.
    I'd quite like to move to the Netherlands.

While I know English is widely spoken in NL, I would like to learn Dutch because:
    (1) I need to speak it if I am to work in my profession there (I know in certain professions it is not necessary, but in mine it is)
    (2) When I move I want to integrate with Dutch society as much as possible
    (3) It sounds class!

So if you think you can help, or know someone who can, please PM.

Cheers,
    Svalbard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

Whom I believe is Dutch. He may know someone who can help you. The florist name has Dutch in it. It could be go Dutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Fair play to you! I've been told it's a very hard language to learn, even by Germans and their language is pretty similar (though us Dutch don't like to admit it :) )

I also think you're the first to say it sounds nice, most of my friends here think it sounds like a throat disease :)

Sorry to say I don't have the time right now to teach you, I forgot most of the grammar anyway, it just becomes normal. I'll check with some of my Dutch friends here but there aren't many in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.facebook.com/GalwayLingo might have Dutch speakers.

Boards doesn't have a Dutch language forum where this could go, but maybe the general Languages forum has something OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

I too would like to learn dutch, its awful hard to find a tutor

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Galway Language Exchange looks interesting, I'm not on Facebook so can't contact them that way, but I could always pop along to one of their meetups in Kelly's.

GekkePruster, I would be very much obliged if you could let your Dutch friends know I'm looking and if any of them are interested they can PM me here, or alternatively I can PM my email address to you.
    I'm open to ideas on compensating them for their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

You may drop a mail to this blogger - I know for a fact that she's a native (belgian) dutch speaker, so maybe she can help or know others living around here that can...
    http://workinglivingtravelinginireland.blogspot.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Last time I checked I've got the creds being both Dutch and a Galway resident. Give me a shout about what availability you're thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Dutchess wrote: »
    Last time I checked I've got the creds being both Dutch and a Galway resident. Give me a shout about what availability you're thinking.

Hi Dutchess, I sent you a PM there.

Thanks for your post.
    Ditto to all the other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Katleenb

Hi all,

I know it's a little bit late, but if you are still looking for a Dutch speaker, let me know! ( I am one that writes the blog mentioned above)
    I am (also ) looking for other Dutch/Flemish speakers, as although I speak it( I am Belgian/Flemish speaker) I haven't quite succeeded in teaching my kids, so would love to find others who might be in the same boat!
    thanks!
    Katleen

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Katleenb wrote: »
    Hi all,

I know it's a little bit late, but if you are still looking for a Dutch speaker, let me know! ( I am one that writes the blog mentioned above)
    I am (also ) looking for other Dutch/Flemish speakers, as although I speak it( I am Belgian/Flemish speaker) I haven't quite succeeded in teaching my kids, so would love to find others who might be in the same boat!
    thanks!
    Katleen

I am giving Svalbard lessons at the moment. I don't have children though so I don't think I'm your gal on that front:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 padraigmulryan

hello ar you giving dutch lessons in galway by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

you should try out the Duolingo app for smartphones/tablets, im learning Spanish with it ATM and its excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Notch000 wrote: »
    you should try out the Duolingo app for smartphones/tablets, im learning Spanish with it ATM and its excellent

I think this is a better idea, at least to get started.

Dutch is quite difficult compared to English and the grammar is pretty tedious. Words having genders (male/female or none) which affects other words. It's good to get all that stuff down first before working on your pronunciation (prepare for a sore throat! :) )

As a Dutch speaker I wouldn't remember how to teach grammar, I learned it so long ago that it's become second nature. I'm not a good teacher anyway.

But I don't mind meeting up with people at a more intermediate stage of learning the language so they can practice conversation skills. It might even attract more people, I know there's some Dutch people in Galway. It'd be nice to be able to speak Dutch once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just keep saying "lekker", that's all there is to it :D

Advertisement