Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 5 battery replacement

• 01-12-2013 5:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

The Battery on my iPhone has gone shocking, requires charging 3 times a day so I've been told I need to get a new one. Out of warranty currently so I'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Cork that could do a quick job on putting in a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Have you downloaded a battery monitoring App such as Battery Doctor to see where exactly your battery resources are be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cotts

Passenger wrote: »
    Have you downloaded a battery monitoring App such as Battery Doctor to see where exactly your battery resources are be used?

No at this point i know its a problem with the battery itself as the phone can go from one perecentage to another in seconds and shuts down anywhere after 20% and remains dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Cotts72 wrote: »
    The Battery on my iPhone has gone shocking, requires charging 3 times a day so I've been told I need to get a new one. Out of warranty currently so I'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Cork that could do a quick job on putting in a new one?

Ring apple Directly, with Apple Products your always better off going to them.

From what I can see there is very little savings to be made with getting the guy around thew corner to do it.

70euro from Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

That doesn't sound like normal wear and tear unless you're absolutely abusing the phone in the way you're charging it. Are you using non-Apple chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I've a non-apple charger but it's a known brand. I've been using The standard charger at times aswell but that packed in last week. Called to carphonewarehouse last week and was told I'd have to send phone away and it could be over a week,unfortunately I need the phone for work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

my apple iphone is only 4 months old and the battery doesnt stay charged for more than 30mins. Will the warranty cover this with apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

bri007 wrote: »
    my apple iphone is only 4 months old and the battery doesnt stay charged for more than 30mins. Will the warranty cover this with apple

That's a serious problem and yes it will be covered as long as the warranty is in date. Have you tried restoring it?

How do i do that?
    guil wrote: »
    That's a serious problem and yes it will be covered as long as the warranty is in date. Have you tried restoring it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Connect it to iTunes, right click the iPhone and click backup. When that's finished click restore and choose restore from backup. It will use the backup you just made so you won't loose anything.

Try it for a few days and if it's still the same do it again but this time choose restore as a new phone and again test for a while.

Make sure you have iCloud enabled as well and everything is set to backup in settings on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Cotts72

It appears straight forward to replace the battery using a kit you can yet off amazon but i fear I'd make a balls of it! I've sent out a few emails to places in Cork City about replacing the battery. Have seen one crowd advertise for €40, another offer it to me for €38. Took a shot and emailed a reliable crowd I'd dealt with before for IT issues who will do the job for €25,happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

Who did you go to in the end as I have the same problem and I am in warranty I don't want to be without phone for the period and "happy" to pay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

kdaly100 wrote: »
    Who did you go to in the end as I have the same problem and I am in warranty I don't want to be without phone for the period and "happy" to pay.

If you don't go to Apple or an Apple authorised repair centre, you are likely to have problems with any future warranty claims.

Have you checked the serial number of your iPhone 5 to see if it is eligible for a free battery replacement under the current program?

https://www.apple.com/ie/support/iphone5-battery/

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

My iPhone 5 serial number is eligible for battery replacement so i rang Apple and they ran a diagnostic test on the phone and they said the battery is operating as normal. My phone switches off at 30% on average and the battery runs out way faster than it did before so operating as normal is a load of bull.

Apple support staff are useless. She told me just because its operating normally now it can still become faulty in the future so to ring back then. Joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I wouldnt take this as an answer. They have have admitted there is a problem. Log the issues with your battery, exact times etc and keep at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭shawki

Anybody in Cork city use the UPS mailbox office on Washington st? Do I just drop in the package anytime during the opening hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

It appears straight forward to replace the battery using a kit you can yet off amazon but i fear I'd make a balls of it! I've sent out a few emails to places in Cork City about replacing the battery. Have seen one crowd advertise for €40, another offer it to me for €38. Took a shot and emailed a reliable crowd I'd dealt with before for IT issues who will do the job for €25,happy days!

do you mind telling me these places?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimboroony

Hector122 wrote: »
    do you mind telling me these places?

Go to GSM Center on Patrick's Quay. The boys in that shop are cheap, reliable and friendly. I just had iPhone 5 battery replaced. It's around 30 I think. I've been using them for about 6 years. They are brilliant.

Advertisement