If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha YAS101 suitable?

Options
  • 01-12-2013 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a limited budget of 2-250 euro. 
    (I'd love a 5.1 system but as I already have a PS3 I dont want an extra bluray player and separate A/V & speakers are out of budget, not to mention difficulty wiring rear speakers)
    So am looking at soundbars and the Yamaha looks a good possibility (good reviews on amazon too)
    What I really need to know is how it works connectivity-wise and is it suitable.
    I have a large living room (6m x 6m)
    Current setup is:
    Panasonic TH42PV (HD ready) plasma (2 x HDMI, 0 x optical, 1 x VGA)
    Sky + HD box (1xopt, 1xHDMI)
    Playstation 3 (1xopt, 1xHDMI)
    PC (Asus EEEBox) (1 x DVI, 1 x VGA)
    (PC is connected to TV by VGA only because the others are using the HDMI ports)
    Is having no optical port on TV an issue and what would connect to what? Would I need any additional port hubs / manual switch?
    Also, can the Sky remote control the volume on soundbar or would I now need to keep 2 remotes beside me?
    Thanks,
    Fergus.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

fme wrote: »
    Hi,
    (I'd love a 5.1 system but as I already have a PS3 I dont want an extra bluray player and separate A/V & speakers are out of budget, not to mention difficulty wiring rear speakers)
    So am looking at soundbars and the Yamaha looks a good possibility (good reviews on amazon too)
    What I really need to know is how it works connectivity-wise and is it suitable.
    Current setup is:
    Is having no optical port on TV an issue and what would connect to what? Would I need any additional port hubs / manual switch?
    Also, can the Sky remote control the volume on soundbar or would I now need to keep 2 remotes beside me?
    Thanks,
    Fergus.
    FME,

apologies for the delay getting back to you and Im going to answer your query with a question..

Do you have the full model number of your TV so I can check out the connections, or could you check to see if it has optical outputs ( or coax out or analogue outputs)

On the other queries - the YAS101 has an optical and a coax input, normally you would connect all your sources into your TV then connect your TV to the YAS101 via a single optical cable - this makes it a really elegant and neat install - if you dont have the correct outputs, we can probably get a convertor from a nice company called CYP to facilitate your setup.

On the remote front - I havent tried a sky remote to control the YAS101, but it can be controlled either by its own remote or by the TV remote - I dont see a problem using the Sky remote, but I honestly could not guarantee that it would work - you can have a look at the full instructions here: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=uk.yamaha.com&asset_id=51396

If you drop me a line with the full model reference of your Pana or the outputs I'll come back asap,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

Hi,
    Current setup is:
    Thanks,
    Fergus.
    FME,

apologies for the delay getting back to you and Im going to answer your query with a question..

Do you have the full model number of your TV so I can check out the connections, or could you check to see if it has optical outputs ( or coax out or analogue outputs)

On the other queries - the YAS101 has an optical and a coax input, normally you would connect all your sources into your TV then connect your TV to the YAS101 via a single optical cable - this makes it a really elegant and neat install - if you dont have the correct outputs, we can probably get a convertor from a nice company called CYP to facilitate your setup.

On the remote front - I havent tried a sky remote to control the YAS101, but it can be controlled either by its own remote or by the TV remote - I dont see a problem using the Sky remote, but I honestly could not guarantee that it would work - you can have a look at the full instructions here: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=uk.yamaha.com&asset_id=51396

If you drop me a line with the full model reference of your Pana or the outputs I'll come back asap,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi,
    Thanks for getting back.
    The TV is a TH42PV70EYA
    Here is a link to the manual:
    http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z529ca7ccz3z252bbz656ez706466z24zd03d067f03a42a9746585d5a8697a38d9c81a6de/tsn2/data/EU/TH37PV70EYA/OI/778150/TQB0E0536.pdf

Cheers,
    Fergus.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi,
    Current setup is:
    Thanks,
    Fergus.
    FME,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi,
    Thanks for getting back.
    The TV is a TH42PV70EYA
    Here is a link to the manual:
    http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z529ca7ccz3z252bbz656ez706466z24zd03d067f03a42a9746585d5a8697a38d9c81a6de/tsn2/data/EU/TH37PV70EYA/OI/778150/TQB0E0536.pdf

Cheers,
    Fergus.
    Fergus,

unfortunately I cannot appear to load that manual - however from memory I dont think that the PV70 had any digital outputs - this means that to use the YAS101 you would have to use an analogue to Digital convertor like this: http://www.richersounds.com/product/dacs/cyp/au-d4/cyp-au-d4 This will both enhance the audio quality and give you optical and a spare coax output - th downside? It costs £49.95, but we will happliy include it in a YAS101 bundle at £39.95 as a Boardie special.

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.