Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have i got a virus?

Options
  • 01-12-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I think i do!

Every web page i go too is covered in adds now. When I click on a page I am constantly getting the page i want but also up pops another page (usually asking me to get a Canadian Visa or earn money from home).

Lots of the words I am reading on a webpage are highlighted in green. When i hoover over them with the curser there is an add there asking to click on word and it will take me to another page.

Have i explained this well? Not sure!

How do i get rid of this crap.

Any free virus software out there??

HELP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I think i do!

Every web page i go too is covered in adds now. When I click on a page I am constantly getting the page i want but also up pops another page (usually asking me to get a Canadian Visa or earn money from home).

Lots of the words I am reading on a webpage are highlighted in green. When i hoover over them with the curser there is an add there asking to click on word and it will take me to another page.

HELP.
    Not a virus but you have Adware. What browser are you using?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think i do!

HELP.

If you are using Firefox or Chrome I would start disabling addons/extensions in the browser. Sometimes its a rogue extension that is the culprit. Also I would run ADWCleaner as well. This is a handy free tool to remove browser hijackers

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

I know I might be contradicting yoyo but maybe try the adblock plus extension.I find it blocks out most annoying adverts and you can choose to disable it for trusted websites.

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Firefox:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

here's the adwcleaner link for ya

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Recoil12 wrote: »
    I know I might be contradicting yoyo but maybe try the adblock plus extension.I find it blocks out most annoying adverts and you can choose to disable it for trusted websites.

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Firefox:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
    Just go to adblockplus.org from your preferred browser and the website will automatically provide the correct download link for the browser you're visiting from.

Another thing to try is swap Antivirus programs out. Paid AV usually is stronger than free stuff, and to be fair you can just do the free 30 day trials. In which case I say go run a Webroot Complete trial, I've had great luck with it in the past nuking out viruses and adware upon installation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

advertsfox wrote: »
    Not a virus but you have Adware. What browser are you using?

I am using Firefox!

yoyo wrote: »
    If you are using Firefox or Chrome I would start disabling addons/extensions in the browser. Sometimes its a rogue extension that is the culprit. Also I would run ADWCleaner as well. This is a handy free tool to remove browser hijackers

Nick

Sounds good. What is ADW Cleaner? Pretend your talking to a child and explain please??!

jsa112 wrote: »

Lovely! Will try that later.

Thanks.

I used the ADW Cleaner link and that didn't work/niether did the adblock plus thingy.

Any other suggestions? Tis driving me mad now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

jsa112 wrote: »
    Download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files here
    Do the above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OP, do you have an AV solution, up-to-date?, run a full san?
    There's plenty of free AVs out the: AVG, AVira,Avast, MSE to name a few popular free ones

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    OP, do you have an AV solution, up-to-date?, run a full san?
    There's plenty of free AVs out the: AVG, AVira,Avast, MSE to name a few popular free ones

Cheers.

Speak English to me! What is an AV solution?? What are AV's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

An antivirus program for your PC. Google items in my previous post for free download details.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    An antivirus program for your PC. Google items in my previous post for free download details.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Go into firefox add-ons, and type adblock edge 208 in the top right search bar and add to firefox, it's the best there is. Adblock plus can slow down net surfing.

zenno wrote: »
    Go into firefox add-ons, and type adblock edge 208 in the top right search bar and add to firefox, it's the best there is. Adblock plus can slow down net surfing.

Done - hope that works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Done - hope that works!

It will work grand, but just scan with malwarebytes if you haven't already to make sure your system is clean. If you need malwarebytes just download the latest one on the top right of this link and update it after install and scan. http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

zenno wrote: »
    It will work grand, but just scan with malwarebytes if you haven't already to make sure your system is clean. If you need malwarebytes just download the latest one on the top right of this link and update it after install and scan. http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Cheers - didn't work!

I'll check it out again later when i get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I used the ADW Cleaner link and that didn't work/niether did the adblock plus thingy.

Any other suggestions? Tis driving me mad now :)

Are you sure your using adwcleaner properly, scan, clean and reboot and then you get a report on screen which you can copy n paste here.

Reboot means shutting down and restarting your pc

Advertisement