Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ortlieb Panniers

Options
  • 01-12-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, I'm hoping to do some bike touring next year (probably a week in Clare & week in Wales). I've been recommended Ortlieb bags - can anybody recommend any stockists around Dublin?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

No, but I can highly recommend ortlieb panniers!

I internetted mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Thanks Idleater. Where did you get them from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Kerryite wrote: »
    Hi, I'm hoping to do some bike touring next year (probably a week in Clare & week in Wales). I've been recommended Ortlieb bags - can anybody recommend any stockists around Dublin?

Thanks!
    sjs in the uk or wiggle or spa cycles sell them i think the great outdoors might sell them,check our bike discount or rose bikes both very good and best prices.
    btw carradice super c are excellent as good if not better than rtlieb.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

If you have a local bike shop that you would like to give the business to, and they have the ones you want at an acceptable price or could order them in for you fairly quickly, I'd say get them there. Otherwise I would just get them anywhere that has a product, colour, and price that you're happy with. Doesn't have to be Ortlieb, either. I used to have Vaude panniers and they were also waterproof and very durable. I'm sure they would still be in service if I hadn't lost them at some point and eventually replaced them with Ortlieb ones because that was what my LBS had when I was in there getting something fixed and picked a pair up on a whim. If I needed new ones tomorrow I think I'd go with the back to Vaude and get a pair of Aqua Back Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I've seen them in Cycleways and also in Great Outdoors.

Ortlieb are the best. They are expensive, but worth it. My ten-year old commuting panniers are still completely waterproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

If you're touring somewhere damp/wet, then they are a good choice. Just be warned that they're a bit lacking in the separate compartment department - its basically one bag you have to put everything into, and root around to find what you need. Try not to let any water or dampness in either; those panniers are just as good at keeping moisture in as they are at keeping it out :)

Still probably a good idea for the tours you've expressed interest in however!

Best of luck with your trips :D

Thanks for all the info! I do like the idea of supporting local businesses so I'll try there first. Also want to make sure I get the right rack.

Next thing is to get fit again!!

Any rack will do as long as you have eyelets on your frame. If you take a high resolution photo of your bike I'd be happy to help you out. If you're using a bike with disc brakes you'll need a different rack however - it needs a bit of extra clearance to get around the brake calipers.

Thanks! It's a Kona PhD with v-brakes - here's the blurb from Kona's website (mine isn't as clean):

http://www.konabikeworld.com/08_phd_w.htm

Yep, looks like you should have no problem with a standard rack. There are eyelets on the frame near the casette (on the "dropouts" of the frame), and more near the part of the frame where the seatpost connects to the frame.

Not sure what the story is with the spoke setup however; might not be the best bet if you're planning on carrying a lot of gear. Don't quote me on this however - it might be fine for short trips but worth looking into.

The best of luck :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement