Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord replaced fridge, much smaller

Options
  • 01-12-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

The fridge was acting up so we let the landlord know and a new one was delivered this morning. Its much smaller than the original one and there are 4 of us in the house. Are we entitled to one the same size as the original?

im gonna have to open the box and put all the food in it though before stuff melts..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm not aware that the regulations specify that it has to be a particular size- it does however have to have a freezer compartment, or a separate freezer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

What size is it? It should be 6ft tall if it's used by four people and contain a substantial frozen section, not an ice box.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'm not aware that the regulations specify that it has to be a particular size- it does however have to have a freezer compartment, or a separate freezer.

It might not be covered by regulations, but I dont think its unreasonable to expect a broken appliance to be replaced like for like. Especially for something like a fridge; four people sharing a small fridge is not practical (the one we have is barely suitable for two people). A decent sized fridge freezer can be gotten for about €250 in Power City; there is no excuse for not replacing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

its less than 5" and about half the volume!

i called the landlord there and it seems he bought it online and was a mistake, had no choice but to open it and put some stuff in until he can sort it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Of course you had a choice and because of that choice you're probably stuck with it now.
    Most retailers will allow a return for change of mind/ purchasers mistake, only if the product is returned unopened and unused.

• Advertisement

no, he said hes going to change it and i told him i had to put frozen stuff and milk etc in it. its his problem

Am i supposed to just not have a fridge then until he can get a new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

He's not going to be able to return the fridge, is my point. I wouldn't be surprised if you're now stuck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Yeah in fairness I'd have let the milk and stuff go off, and recouped the cost from the landlord (after agreeing it with him first) rather than opening and using the fridge when I knew it wasn't suitable.

I still think the fridge should be replaced like-for-like ... but you've probably made it quite difficult now for the landlord to replace it. Also by starting to use it, it implies acceptance of it as a substitute for the other one.

theliam wrote: »
    no, he said hes going to change it and i told him i had to put frozen stuff and milk etc in it. its his problem

Hes not going to be able to exchange that fridge now that you have opened it and used it. Its not his problem now, its yours.

i see what youre saying but he said it himself when i called him first to use it until he can sort it (could be a few days) then called back a while later asking if i had opened it cause he's going to try sort it today but was too late by then

• Advertisement

Fair enough, if he said to use it then its his problem. Just dont be surprised if you are stuck with it once he figures out he cant return it...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

When he made the purchase online, did he pick the wrong fridge himself or did the shop deliver the wrong fridge?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Where a fridge suddenly breaks it is not unreasonable to have to do without one for a few days as most stores are unable to do same day delivery. Generally you just make do until the new one arrives which most likely involves a small extra expense for a few days along with the loss of whatever food you are unable to salvage from the broken fridge (another reason why it is a good idea to get on with your neighbours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A standard fridge with icebox is never good enough anymore. There has to be a separate freezer section inside tue fridge or a fridge freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

theliam wrote: »

What do you think everyone else does?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If he bought the fridge online he has more consumer rights than he does if he bought it in a bricks and mortar shop. For one you are allowed to return online goods within 7 working days, no questions asked. He needs to check his consumer rights in relation to this because it could be the case he can return it, if if the box has been opened.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If he bought the fridge online he has more consumer rights than he does if he bought it in a bricks and mortar shop. For one you are allowed to return online goods within 7 working days, no questions asked. He needs to check his consumer rights in relation to this because it could be the case he can return it, if if the box has been opened.

Even if it has been opened and used? Its not like he can even claim that he opened it and realised that it was the wrong one; ignoring the fact that its plainly obvious from the box that its the wrong one, I would have thought that you lose all rights once you plug it in and start using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

djimi wrote: »
    Even if it has been opened and used? Its not like he can even claim that he opened it and realised that it was the wrong one; ignoring the fact that its plainly obvious from the box that its the wrong one, I would have thought that you lose all rights once you plug it in and start using it?
    No, if you buy something online, you can normally return it in the first 7 days, even if you have used it (certain things are excluded and you might be liable for usage costs), but it's basically to compensate for you not being able to inspect and try out the good before you buy it in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

mdebets wrote: »
    No, if you buy something online, you can normally return it in the first 7 days, even if you have used it (certain things are excluded and you might be liable for usage costs), but it's basically to compensate for you not being able to inspect and try out the good before you buy it in a shop.
    Totally overlooked one important point here. These are consumer rights. The landlord however is not a consumer, but a business, so normal consumer laws don't apply to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

foggy_lad wrote: »
    A standard fridge with icebox is never good enough anymore. There has to be a separate freezer section inside tue fridge or a fridge freezer.

Two of us have such a contraption. It is maybe 4ft tall with a tiny icebox. Can't imagine sharing it with another 2 people. It is depressing how small the icebox is. I need to do mental recall when ever I shop as to what exactly I have in the freezer. I often end up taking frozen food out of it's boxes and placing them in freezer bags, to make things fit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement