Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

win 7 on a P4?

• 01-12-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

Win7 sys requirements say 1GHz processor
    1GB Ram
    16GB hard drive space
    dirextX9 graphics.

I CURRENTLY have a P4 with 2GHz,
    760MB RAM
    and WIN XP

I've been told that WIN7 will chug along on a P4 even with the 2GHz

it it worth the hassle of getting some more RAM?

thanks for your wisdom!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You'd probably get 2GB RAM for 15-20 euro

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You'd probably get 2GB RAM for 15-20 euro
    depends , because the price for old ram shoots up as it gets scarce.

Back to the original question

Is it worth paying for win 7 to put on an old machine ?

P4's eat electricity, between that and the cost of license and ram and the age of the HDD and the chances that will fail because it's so old , if you have it on 24/7 then just buy a €350 laptop instead.

TBH 16GB free isn't much. You should have at least 10-15% free for optimum performance.

You can't move an OEM copy of 7 to the machine.
    There is no point in putting on an upgrade as it would then be locked to the machine forever, unless the machine already has a non OEM windows license - and it almost certainly doesn't

Yes 7 can run faster than Vista, but on an old XP machine it's more of a case that it doesn't run slower. It's not going to turbo charge or inject new life into an old machine. And it won't pull a P4 up to a bargain entry level laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

OK thanks.

the reason for the tinkering, is that through work my Mrs can get Office 13 for under £10

and office 13 needs win 7 or later.

our current XP and office 03 combo often runs into "cant open this file" problems with powerpoints & word docs.

finances are tight as I'm unemployed and Herself works part time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

OK thanks.

the reason for the tinkering, is that through work my Mrs can get Office 13 for under £10

and office 13 needs win 7 or later.

our current XP and office 03 combo often runs into "cant open this file" problems with powerpoints & word docs.

finances are tight as I'm unemployed and Herself works part time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/word-help/open-a-word-2010-document-in-an-earlier-version-of-word-HA010370115.aspx

You can download free add-ons for 2003 to open files made with 2007/2010/2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

depends , because the price for old ram shoots up as it gets scarce.

Yes, generally. My estimate was based on 2 x 1GB DIMMs of DDR or DDR2 (my guess on what OP's P4 mobo has), on ebay items that actually sold, in the recent past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Brilliant, I'll try that first!

cheers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've installed Win7 on P4-era Dell desktops and so long as the hardware requirements are met, it'll run decently enough (though you need to turn off any Aero-related stuff). Based on what you've posted you'd need a RAM upgrade and a new hard-drive - but once you've got that and a reasonable graphics card, you'd be alright.

Another option for handling the newer Office options is LibreOffice, although you may run into compatibility issues for some more complex functions. (For example some macros just won't work unless you're using the right version of Excel). But it's worth a look, particularly since it'll only cost you the download bandwidth.

Advertisement