Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bank account for 16yr old

Options
  • 01-12-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I want to open a bank account for my 16yr old, one with a visa debit card, can anyone recommend one?
    I had a quick look at my banks offering, the ulster bank Adapt, but from what I can see they mention government stamp duty fees must be paid, whereas some other banks will cover this cost for student accounts.

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/student-youth-accounts/adapt.ashx

Using the same bank would just have been handy for transferring money to her account.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Which banks cover stamp duty for students?

These days it is just as easy to transfer money from one to bank to another bank as it is to transfer money to an account with the same bank.

PTSB, Ulster Bank, KBC, AIB and BoI all offer free banking to 2nd level and 3rd level students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

I only opened a bank account with Permanent TSB a few weeks ago, wouldve been my first (im 17). I know i do not get charged any day to day transaction fees as it is a student account. I also like PTSB for the automated transactions for depositing cash.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Aib cover stamp duty on 2nd level accounts.

Yeah I know it's easy to transfer money between banks now, I just thought it might be a bit quicker if the accounts were with the same bank, as it takes 5 days for cash to transfer from our aib account to our ulster bank.
    It would be great to be able to transfer money instantly to my daughters account if she ever got caught short while away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

AIB covers the stamp duty and there banks are nearly on every street corner in Dublin. There internet banking is suited to 2013 unlike BOI which looks like something from the early 90s and is pretty bad. A transfer from ulster bank to aib should be over night and not 5 days like someone else said. I used my aib to transfer money into my KBC account and I think it was instant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

No it definitely takes a few days to transfer from AIB to UB, we've done it so we know.
    Now whether it's quicker to go from UB to AIB I don't know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement