Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord looking to increase rent?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Thomas D wrote: »
    1. It is based on marginal rents.
    2. I never used average rents I use rates. Fourth time I've said this today.
    3. You've imagined a ridiculous scenario
    4. Great argument

Your 'ridiculous scenario' has been put to me by plenty of tenants who have viewed my house, same with my OH. They come and view and want to rent the property but the rent is over the limit that social welfare will pay for rent allowance and they know that if they put a rent below the RA threshold on the form they have a far better chance of being approved for it. Then with a wink and a nod they say that 'sure then you pay less tax'. It happens all the time. That's not to say I accept these tenants, but I'm sure there's plenty that do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Your 'ridiculous scenario' has been put to me by plenty of tenants who have viewed my house, same with my OH. They come and view and want to rent the property but the rent is over the limit that social welfare will pay for rent allowance and they know that if they put a rent below the RA threshold on the form they have a far better chance of being approved for it. Then with a wink and a nod they say that 'sure then you pay less tax'. It happens all the time. That's not to say I accept these tenants, but I'm sure there's plenty that do.

It is not a reason to discount my argument to the prtb.

It is not a reason to discount my argument to the prtb.

I didn't use it to discount your argument to the PRTB, by all means do what you like. But you asked me why I think the data is flawed and that's one of the reasons I've given.

I didn't use it to discount your argument to the PRTB, by all means do what you like. But you asked me why I think the data is flawed and that's one of the reasons I've given.

And it's conveniently something that you can never prove or quantify. Let's deal with the known facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

19.—(1) In setting, at any particular time, the rent under the tenancy of a dwelling, an amount of rent shall not be provided for that is greater than the amount of the market rent for that tenancy at that time.

Thanks for that now I understand why you are so intent on quoting the out-dated PRTB figures.

• Advertisement

And it's conveniently something that you can never prove or quantify. Let's deal with the known facts.

Nobody can prove or quantify just how bad the PRTB are at all levels that they operate. But it's a widely known fact.

I agree with the conductor, I find it very, very hard to believe that there has only been a 1% increase in Ballsbridge. It completely flies in the face with all the anecdotal evidence and actual evidence such as daft listings, and daft economic reports on rents in general. It's very hard to believe that the PRTB data is correct given their reputation.

I used D4 as me first post example. Ballsbridge rents are higher but 2 bed apartments have fallen by .6% over the period stated.

201312121055276221RIQ02_2105796.gif

There really is no arguing against it, at least not at a tribunal.
    Each year we register nearly 100,000 new tenancies, with annual peaks in activity in September / October. This extensive database is the largest in the country and is populated with information on actual / agreed rent, location, seven categories of dwelling types, accommodation size and number of occupants and tenancy length
    PRTB HEDONIC REGRESSION INDEX
    Hedonic Regression, in economics, is a method of estimating demand or prices. It is based on the hypothesis that products can be treated as bundles of characteristics and that prices can be attached to each characteristic. For the PRTB Hedonic Index the variables are Dwelling size, type, location, and other characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ThomasD do you think the LL would get €300 more than your paying if he offered the place for let?

Advertisement