Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Predicament

Options
  • 01-12-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I applied for the visa earlier this year and received it with the intention of moving over next March/April.

However since then, I got a great job that I've been promoted in already and I really enjoy it.

Now, I have to activate my visa before the end of April but I'm not sure if I should leave a good comfortable job to essentially go to Canada to try my luck.

What I was thinking of doing was going over in March for 2-3 weeks as more of a holiday and I could activate my visa then so say 5-6 months down the line, I could move over if my job situation changed etc.

Is it possible to activate the visa, return to Ireland and then go over any time within the 2 years to live there if my circumstances change?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Yes as long as you activate your visa within one year of receiving it you can go back to Ireland for as long as you want. You would be better of waiting until the year is almost up before activating it so you have 2 years then from that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Im not sure if you can do this! I think you post this a few weeks back and someone said that if you leave the country for a x amoint of time ur visa will be invaild!

Your best bet would be to contact the people at the IEC to get ur answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

According to: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx#Ir3-8 it seems to be okay to do so.

"8. I have obtained my work permit. May I leave Canada during its validity?
    Yes. During the validity of your work permit, you may leave and re-enter Canada as many times as you wish. However, you must ensure that you meet the entrance requirements of the country you plan to visit."

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

As far as I know you can come and go as much as you please. However, most insurance companies (which you need to get in in the first place) will be invalidated if you leave the country for 21 days

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aerotuned

Hi all,

So I applied for the visa earlier this year and received it with the intention of moving over next March/April.

However since then, I got a great job that I've been promoted in already and I really enjoy it.

Now, I have to activate my visa before the end of April but I'm not sure if I should leave a good comfortable job to essentially go to Canada to try my luck.

What I was thinking of doing was going over in March for 2-3 weeks as more of a holiday and I could activate my visa then so say 5-6 months down the line, I could move over if my job situation changed etc.

Is it possible to activate the visa, return to Ireland and then go over any time within the 2 years to live there if my circumstances change?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on the same boat as you, will try it for a few weeks as have work 2

• Advertisement
Advertisement