Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an academic reference - does it have to be from a lecturer?

Options
  • 01-12-2013 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am applying for the Professional Masters in Education at DCU - I need an academic reference.

My current course is very large and so we dont know the lecturers personally. Would it be acceptable to send in an academic reference from a secondary school teacher/principal? They would know me much better - particularly in relation to my suitability as a teacher...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

DylanII wrote: »
    Hi,

I am applying for the Professional Masters in Education at DCU - I need an academic reference.

My current course is very large and so we dont know the lecturers personally. Would it be acceptable to send in an academic reference from a secondary school teacher/principal? They would know me much better - particularly in relation to my suitability as a teacher...

I think it wouldn't do your application any good to not have a reference from your degree. I was told if you are stuck go to your head of year/coordinator explain to them you need a reference etc. They will be used to doing them and may ask for a CV to make it personal.

Or your Tutor (I don't know if you have one in DCU) would be a good person to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I would just ask the lecturer of the course you got the best marks in. I needed two academic references seven years after I finished college - no idea if the lecturers remembered me but it wasn't an issue. As Yarghhh said, they will be used to doing them.
    Good luck!

Advertisement