Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement of aluminium window frames

Options
  • 01-12-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I don't know if this is in the right forum so please feel free to move if it is not.

I have a condensation problem on the inside of my windows, not between the panes, on the inside. I had window guys out to look at the issue and they have said that I need to replace the entire window frames. When I asked was it possible to just change the glass and reseal they said I would have the same problem a year down the line if I did. They couldn't explain to me why it was necessary to change the frames and not just the glass. Can anyone explain this to me? I want to make sure that I am not being taken for a ride on this one.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This could be nothing whatsoever to do with the windows of course and be related to improper or poorly performing insulation in the dwelling, for example. Tread carefully here....you migth end up replacing all your windows and still have the problem.

Is this a new problem or a long standing one?
    Is it on all windows?
    Do you have signs of condensation elsewhere on walls etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mysterylady

I moved into the place last year and it was happening then. I live in an apartment and all of the ground floor windows suffer from the same problem. The upstairs don't have the problem, the apartments are only ground and first floor and the first floor have velux windows. I don't have condensation anywhere else.

Are the windows even your property or communal? In an apartment complex usually the latter.

That I don't know. I do own the apartment so I reckon I have some responsibility over them.

That I don't know. I do own the apartment so I reckon I have some responsibility over them.
    Check it out. I had a problem with a window in my Berlin flat and the management company sent a repair man at cost to all owners. You may get into serious trouble for replacing windows you don't own. As to the problem, have other occupants got the same issues?

• Advertisement

Oh I'll definitely check it out, mgmt company is a nightmare to deal with so i want to have all the info before i contact them.
    All the ground floor apartments have the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,
    I don't know if this is in the right forum so please feel free to move if it is not.

I have a condensation problem on the inside of my windows, not between the panes, on the inside. I had window guys out to look at the issue and they have said that I need to replace the entire window frames. When I asked was it possible to just change the glass and reseal they said I would have the same problem a year down the line if I did. They couldn't explain to me why it was necessary to change the frames and not just the glass. Can anyone explain this to me? I want to make sure that I am not being taken for a ride on this one.

Thanks

Just cause they are double glazing doesn't make them any good.

If there at the age where the frame needs replacing there glass itself is probably as good as a single glazed window. You should replace them with a rated glass.

Condensation usually occurs when hit meets cold. The inside glass is getting cold from the outside implies there no good. The argon gas between the two should prevent the I side glass getting cold.
    You can get a yoke to out in the window sill, that attracts the moisture, it's just like the silica bags you get with new clothes.

Thanks for that. My question is why do the frames need replacing? I would understand if the frames were wood and it was rotted for example but there seems to be no issue with the frames themselves apart from the seals on the inside gone and surely you can just reseal and replace glass if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks for that. My question is why do the frames need replacing? I would understand if the frames were wood and it was rotted for example but there seems to be no issue with the frames themselves apart from the seals on the inside gone and surely you can just reseal and replace glass if necessary.

Can the frames handle a thicker glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It would be unusual in an apartment block for the individual unitholders to be responsible for or able to replace the windows. Generally, something like that would be a communal responsibility - albeit that you would remain liable for your proportion of the costs. Unitholders responsibility would generally not extend beyond replacing the glass on a like for like basis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

consider posting your query here
    My question is why do the frames need replacing?
    lets define your issue
    if you dont replace the frames
    • you Will still have condensation on them ( as there probably not thermal broken and the weakest thermal point in your window unit)
    • you may not fit new double definately not 3g into them

Advertisement