Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog killed and mutilated in its own garden by a pack of hunting dogs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭mojesius

I read about this online. The poor dog and family, it must have been horrific for them. :(

I emailed the club to express my outrage about the incident. I hope the club gets disbanded and it leads to stricter hunting regulations in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭fits

Before everyone goes off on one about the evils of hunting. the Bray Harriers are a drag pack and don't hunt live prey. This incident is extremely unusual. Hounds normally pass countless loose dogs without a problem. Doesn't excuse this incident but its far from normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

fits wrote: »
    Before everyone goes off on one about the evils of hunting. the Bray Harriers are a drag pack and don't hunt live prey. This incident is extremely unusual. Hounds normally pass countless loose dogs without a problem. Doesn't excuse this incident but its far from normal.

In my view, the only thing that's relevant here is that this incident happened on somebody else's private land. Why they were there is irrelevant, if you trespass on private property you should be criminally prosecuted as a burglar would be. Hunting in the wild is one thing, but...

The Brays follow a predetermined course over land with prior agreement from the landowners. I have no idea what happened here. Can only surmise the hounds were out of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Disgusted to hear about this. I am normally a restrained guy but if this happened my dog I don't think I would be responsible for my actions..

Spotted a post on facebook from another guy who said this has happened before:
    The bray hunt tore my dog apart 20 yrs ago in ashford as well,and yesterday while out with my other dogs i spotted the hunt across the fields,and i had to leave the area incase of a repeat of what happened to my other dog 20 yrs ago,

Bray hunt let my dog and my mother nearly 3 miles away from home with our dog in her arms dripping blood,hunt didnt give a ****e,hound ware on the main road and went and attacked my dog which was on a lead on the side of the road in croneroe area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

anyone know where this happened?

Somewhere near Ashford. Don't know where exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Brian728

Truly horrific incident. Not sure how I'd have reacted if it was my poor dog. While nothing will bring the poor family pet back, I hope they pursue this fully and get some form of justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Imagine I let my three dogs off the lead, to run around in a pack, through the local fields.....

Erm no, because it would be against the law, as the dogs would not be u der control, and might attack someone's dog or livestock and get shot.... These dogs.... Oh no.... Sure, they are special dogs, allowed to be in a large pack running loose... Makes me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I came across this earlier on Facebook 'justice for (the dogs name that I can't remember') and found it a bit odd. I can understand the pain the family must be in after I too recently lost my dog, but the post on fb is a bit odd. For instance, the owners seem to emphasise the fact that loose horses were left on their lawn (while the riders went off to try get the hounds), they seemed angry at riders dismounting to help the dog being attacked. The bray hunters have never had an accident like this occur before and do not actually hunt live foxes so I think the hatred being sent their way is a bit unfair.

Although nothing can be done to compensate for the loss of that poor dogs life, as an active member of the we equine world and a hound owner I just think the whole situation is being blown up to something very extreme. It is nothing more than a freak accident which nobody could have expected, It is very unusual for the dogs to turn on another and in fairness,the hunters did try and stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I would say the situation was very extreme for the family who witnessed that happening to their dog. I know my own kids would be tramatised for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

If the hunt had no permission to be on the land, which was the case according to the journal.ie (not a great source though) AND the hounds attacked the dog it is not just a case of "shíte happens".

1 - they broke the law for trespassing.
    2 - the dogs were not under their control as is a legal requirement.
    3 - if these dogs targeted an animal that was supposed to be safe from them, what's to say those dogs will not do it again OR could even go for a child. Dogs don't have the same level of understanding as us humans.

As a mother living near Bray, I would be very concerned for the safety of children if these animals are not controlled. Hound owners HAVE to be held accountable for their dogs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I will also add, that in my innocence and youth, I used to hunt with a couple of hunt packs who shall remain nameless.
    The behaviour of the huntspeople towards members of the public, homeowners, and farmers was often disgraceful, rude, and bullyish. When the hounds on occasion chose to enter private yards and gardens, and this never happened during a chase, and always resulted in dead chickens or ducks in farmyards (in my experience), the self-entitled, bombastic way the huntsmen entered private property to control the out-of-control hounds was appalling, even to my young self.
    By my early teenage years I'd learned enough about hunting folk to realise that this sort of behaviour just wasn't for me. Complete lack of respect for their neighbours, and indeed their quarry, even their own horses and hounds. No thanks.
    So I'm not one bit surprised at the anger this incident has provoked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

DBB wrote: »
    I will also add, that in my innocence and youth, I used to hunt with a couple of hunt packs who shall remain nameless.
    The behaviour of the huntspeople towards members of the public, homeowners, and farmers was often disgraceful, rude, and bullyish. When the hounds on occasion chose to enter private yards and gardens, and this never happened during a chase, and always resulted in dead chickens or ducks in farmyards (in my experience), the self-entitled, bombastic way the huntsmen entered private property to control the out-of-control hounds was appalling, even to my young self.
    By my early teenage years I'd learned enough about hunting folk to realise that this sort of behaviour just wasn't for me. Complete lack of respect for their neighbours, and indeed their quarry, even their own horses and hounds. No thanks.
    So I'm not one bit surprised at the anger this incident has provoked.

As a member of the equine community for over 20 years, I have to say a few hunters are some of the most obnoxious, self important and downright horrible people I have ever met. The sense of entitlement is horrifically overwhelming. I have near choked on my lunch as some came back from hunts INDIGNANT that someone had threatened them off private land because "their" fox (never knew you could own a wild animal) had sought refuge there. And that the farmer was a príck for never letting them on, as though it was something he should have to yield to.

That said, some hunters are lovely people, I just do not agree with their idea of "sport".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I used to ride a lot and help out at stables in that area as a kid, and have also worked at a stable out there. I always remember on hunt days, if the hunt was known to be coming close, how the dogs around the stables would be kept inside for exactly the reason of the incident here...that the hounds could kill the dogs if they came across them.
    The Brays do use public roads at times. They have ridden past my parents' house on a few occasions. My family know the days that they may possibly expect a hunt, although it is not very often.
    I would be inconsolable if any of mine or my family's dogs were killed in such a manner. My parents have always been quite paranoid about hunt days, but most people are probably not aware of when the hunt will be out. They really should put up public notices in areas where they plan to ride. As a successful drag hunting club, the Brays could potentially be an example of how "hunting" does not have to require a live quarry. With incidents like this, however, they really need to take responsibility and make a public statement about how they can avoid this happening again. I know it is a rare case, but I'm sure that does not matter to the family who lost their lovely little pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Poor doggie :'(

I'd say the backlash will ensure the hunting club gets closed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Poor doggies regularly maul and hunt other domestic animals such as sheep causing horrific injuries and death and domestic 'doggies' regularly attack children / cats / postmen

The Bray harriers are a Drag Pack that do not hunt live quarry. If these hounds went out of control then the BH will have to take responsibility same as any other animal owner

I absolutely detest that this is being used to beat the old drum of 'look at those toffs on their horses' riding over other people's land

This is absolute rubbish. The people who ride like the BH are the same as other regular individuals - but instead of rugby or wrestling or other activity they ride.

The last thing we need is absolute rubbish being promulgated as opinion about others who people target for their own ideological purposes. Shame on them.

It is indeed sad that this dog lost its life. But like every other domestic animal attack it needs proper reporting not rabel rousing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Aptitude

gozunda wrote: »
    This is absolute rubbish. The people who ride like the BH are the same as other regular individuals - but instead of rugby or wrestling or other activity they ride.

Yeah - cause rugby players and wrestlers go around the countryside with packs of killer dogs on the loose. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Aptitude

Poor doggies regularly maul and hunt other domestic animals such as sheep causing horrific injuries and death and domestic 'doggies' regularly attack children / cats / postmen
    It is indeed sad that this dog lost its life. But like every other domestic animal attack it needs proper reporting not rabel rousing.

You complain about rabel (rabble?) rousing yet you are yourself guilty of it by criticizing people for referring to a dog that has been murdered and savaged as a "doggie".

I think the type of "doggie" that attacks postmen and children aren`t really referred to as "doggies". Yeah, dogs attack cats - but you shouldn`t have a cat if your dog is likely to kill it, and if it`s a neighbours cat, it can probably jump to safety :pac:

Anyway, this all very off topic. Let the group responsible be punished.

Aptitude wrote: »
    You complain about rabel (rabble?) rousing yet you are yourself guilty of it by criticizing people for referring to a dog that has been murdered and savaged as a "doggie".

I think the type of "doggie" that attacks postmen and children aren`t really referred to as "doggies". Yeah, dogs attack cats - but you shouldn`t have a cat if your dog is likely to kill it, and if it`s a neighbours cat, it can probably jump to safety :pac:

Anyway, this all very off topic. Let the group responsible be punished.

I criticised no one. And yes domestic doggies aka people's pets do attack other people's domestic animals. It is quite a common phenomen. I didn't mention keeping the dog and cat together either, I do like your presumption that any other cat should be able to "jump out of the way" - so is it ok for domestic dogs to attack cats? I don't think so. Can sheep climb trees / jump to safety as well?

To repeat - For the other poster Bray Harriers are a Drag Pack - that means the hounds are not used for live prey - unfortunately they displayed the same type of behaviour that is seen in other domestic dogs - unprovoked attack.
    Please reread the post carefully for what was actually said.

Domestic animals have been known to attack other domestic animals. What I dislike is this been used to highhack what happened - as I clearly stated.

'It is indeed sad that this dog lost its life. But like every other domestic animal attack it needs proper reporting not rabble(!) rousing.'
    Hope that is understand at least

To repeat - For the other poster Bray Harriers are a Drag Pack - that means they do not go after live prey -'packs of killer dogs' unfortunately the animals displayed the same type of behaviour that is seen in other domestic dogs - an unprovoked attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Tragic situation for everyone but particularly the family.

That said, I'd be waiting on the facts before pointing fingers.

There's an awful lot of conclusions being jumped to on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I came across this earlier on Facebook 'justice for (the dogs name that I can't remember') and found it a bit odd. I can understand the pain the family must be in after I too recently lost my dog, but the post on fb is a bit odd. For instance, the owners seem to emphasise the fact that loose horses were left on their lawn (while the riders went off to try get the hounds), they seemed angry at riders dismounting to help the dog being attacked. The bray hunters have never had an accident like this occur before and do not actually hunt live foxes so I think the hatred being sent their way is a bit unfair.

Although nothing can be done to compensate for the loss of that poor dogs life, as an active member of the we equine world and a hound owner I just think the whole situation is being blown up to something very extreme. It is nothing more than a freak accident which nobody could have expected, It is very unusual for the dogs to turn on another and in fairness,the hunters did try and stop it.

What if a child had been alone in the garden when this happened. This can't be talked away hunt have to accept responsibility

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I absolutely detest that this is being used to beat the old drum of 'look at those toffs on their horses' riding over other people's land

I'm assuming that this comment is not aimed at anyone who has posted thus far in this thread? There has been no mention of "toffs" or anything the like of it here.
    There are some sports, and some activities (I won't class hunting as a sport), which seem to attract a disproportionate amount of rude, obnoxious people. In my experience, having worked in the horse industry for years, hunting is very much one of them: some are fine, many are not. That's got nothing to do with what social class the participants do or don't belong to. An idiot is an idiot.

What if a child had been alone in the garden when this happened. This can't be talked away hunt have to accept responsibility

This was very sad incident but as said children are regularly attacked by domestic dogs. In this instance it was another dog. what is needed is that responsibility be taken, not this issue used for personal tirades on others or an undefined witch hunt because unfortunately some of the comments amount to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

This was very sad incident but as said children are regularly attacked by domestic dogs. In this instance it was another dog. what is needed is that responsibility be taken, not this issue used for personal tirades on others or an undefined witch hunt because unfortunately some of the threads here amount to that.

So you mean the owners, or those responsible for the dogs to be held fully and unconditionally responsible?

For allowing their animals to trespass on private land and attack and kill a family pet.

Not to mention to run loose in a public area quite clearly not under control?

It shouldn't have happened - end of story. Don't know all the facts but the huntsman will surely have some questions to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So the people on the horses tried to save the dog but couldn't? The dogs were completely out of control?

The dogs that did this should never be let outside again, and the people responsible never be allowed to own/be in control of dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Unreal, that is very sad, the poor dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

This was very sad incident but as said children are regularly attacked by domestic dogs. In this instance it was another dog. what is needed is that responsibility be taken, not this issue used for personal tirades on others or an undefined witch hunt because unfortunately some of the comments amount to that.

Where are the statistics you gathered to back up such a statement?
    I would love to see some numbers to suggest that domestic dogs regularly attack children.
    I suppose you're going to try and argue that these "regular" attacks on children are also unprovoked?

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Where are the statistics you gathered to back up such a statement?
    I would love to see some numbers to suggest that domestic dogs regularly attack children.
    I suppose you're going to try and argue that these "regular" attacks on children are also unprovoked?

Don't believe that it happens? Take a look at news reports of some significant and horrendous attack stories involving domestic dogs in the last couple of years. These exclude stories that don't make it public where a domestic pet bites or otherwise attacks family members. It is deeply saddening but It happens. Dogs are by instinct predators and will attack sometimes even when not provoked. Btw are you suggesting the attacks you appear to deny only happen when an animal is 'provoked'?

Such incidences are certainly more 'regular' in my opinion than the incidence referred to in this thread.

As I have already said the reported incident concerns an attack by domestic animals on another domestic animal. I am sure the structures are in place to deal with this without huge nashing of teeth and mud slinging,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement