Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog killed and mutilated in its own garden by a pack of hunting dogs

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Hunts do in their hole try to avoid stock as much as they can

I know how you feel freedom. I had a guy lead the hounds through a field of 20 pregnant cows.
    The sick thing about it was that the man had a choice of 3 routes to go around them. They were also shooting in close proximity to them.
    It was maddening to see the animals distressed. Thankfully none aborted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

fits wrote: »
    Phone them up and tell them you don't want them going through.

I am afraid hunts are no different to people in general, some good, some bad, some in between the two.

To be fair he shouldnt have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bonnie88

I came across this earlier on Facebook 'justice for (the dogs name that I can't remember') and found it a bit odd. I can understand the pain the family must be in after I too recently lost my dog, but the post on fb is a bit odd. For instance, the owners seem to emphasise the fact that loose horses were left on their lawn (while the riders went off to try get the hounds), they seemed angry at riders dismounting to help the dog being attacked. The bray hunters have never had an accident like this occur before and do not actually hunt live foxes so I think the hatred being sent their way is a bit unfair.

Although nothing can be done to compensate for the loss of that poor dogs life, as an active member of the we equine world and a hound owner I just think the whole situation is being blown up to something very extreme. It is nothing more than a freak accident which nobody could have expected, It is very unusual for the dogs to turn on another and in fairness,the hunters did try and stop it.

Once off incident or not....what happened was 100% unacceptable and the facebook page was set up to raise awareness and call for regulation. It was noted in the articles that locals nor the Garda were informed a hunt would be in the area....this family had they been informed that a hunt would be taking place that day could of ensured their dog was inside but were denied that chance. Bray Harriers had on their website that hunt would be taking place that day , they did not specfiy where/when instead said tbc.

As for the riders trying to retrieve the dogs, well of course they would and im sure they were horrified as to what they were seeing but the fact that they had to try retrieve them proves that they did not have control over the dogs....if not the organisation well then who do we blame...they hounds for getting over excited and acting how they would in the wild...the family for falling in love with their dog and being heartbroken over its death....facts are this would not of happened if the Bray Harries were not out that day, The must be held responsible for the actions and misery they caused that family (as unintentional as they were) and they must take appropriate action to ensure it never happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

ok didnt read all the comments. got annoyed at people banging on about fox hunting when it has infact nothing to do with what happened.

but i do think bray harrirers are fully accountable. Even though i have heard that the dog that was killed had been out of its garden barking at the hounds and ran back in qnd was followed. however the fact that the family didnt know the hunt was near by is simply not fair. Most people would assume the huntsman could control their hounds. having to get off their horses shows they werent. they have given hunting a bad name and it sounds like they werent very apologetic to the family. but the single thing that should be taken from this is hunts should declare whatvroute they are planning to take. inform people, be gracious to people and control their dogs. if they cant do everything in their power to ensure this wont happen again they should not be out hunting. i know if i was a land owner on any of their routes id seriously be questioning lettinng them through my land.
    Bonnie88 wrote: »
    Once off incident or not....what happened was 100% unacceptable and the facebook page was set up to raise awareness and call for regulation. It was noted in the articles that locals nor the Garda were informed a hunt would be in the area....this family had they been informed that a hunt would be taking place that day could of ensured their dog was inside but were denied that chance. Bray Harriers had on their website that hunt would be taking place that day , they did not specfiy where/when instead said tbc.

As for the riders trying to retrieve the dogs, well of course they would and im sure they were horrified as to what they were seeing but the fact that they had to try retrieve them proves that they did not have control over the dogs....if not the organisation well then who do we blame...they hounds for getting over excited and acting how they would in the wild...the family for falling in love with their dog and being heartbroken over its death....facts are this would not of happened if the Bray Harries were not out that day, The must be held responsible for the actions and misery they caused that family (as unintentional as they were) and they must take appropriate action to ensure it never happens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

AF not to split hairs but I was not starting a 'legal discussion'

The 'trespass' of the hunt staff was in an attempt to prevent what happened - unfortunately they were not successful. Would it have been better for them to stand outside and pretend it didn't happen? I don't think so.

Btw I was referring to the current law on animal trespass not the working paper you referenced, So many posters here have alluded to trespass by the hounds without understanding what this actually entails.
    angelfire9 wrote: »
    I would beg to differ as regards the issue of tresspass of the animals
    (There was undoubtedly tresspass by horses and riders in an attempt to rein in the hounds)
    In relation to the tresspass if the hounds the LRC (law reform commission) produced a paper on this very issue

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/Reports/rCivilLiabilityForAnimals.htm

I would refer you also the the case stated law in Rylands v Fletcher a case from the UK in the late 1800's which is still a valid judgement in matters of strict liability

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rylands_v_Fletcher

As I'm fairly sure legal discussions are against the forum charter I will leave it at that but feel free to PM me its been awhile since I had to actively engage in discussions on Tort ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

<snip>

Considering this is one incident - the overall reaction and call for extreme reaction is bizarre and one which potentially would have many unintended consequences

Ok take the scenario of the control of dogs

So anyone out with two or more dogs, (a pack in other words) let's say dog owner out for a walk on the curragh. The dogs slip their leads and go on a rampage and kill a ewe

Or Fido the Neighbours dog attacks tiddles the Pekingese next door and savages him

Or Dog in park gets away from his owner and goes berserk and starts killing ducks in the pond

Should the owner of the dog(s) in these circumstances as you suggest never be allowed control / ownership of any dog ever again?

That the dogs ( if not put down as it was out of character etc) never be allowed to be brought by their owner anywhere whether in a public or private place

Accidents happen. Hounds have control in the form of the huntsman and are trained to follow voice commands. Like the example given above for the Curragh where dogs slip leashes or otherwise get away from their handlers - what do you propose that draconian restrictions should be brought in over a single incident. I see no mass outbreak of what one poster referred to as 'killer dogs' rampaging into people's houses attacking babies and OAPs and pets

I really do wonder that this story is being used for other ends than that to which it amounts - an unfourtunate and sad incident where the huntsman lost control in an once off incident.

Calling for such extreme retribution in my opinion is simply bizarre

I am fairly confident that the authorities are already well set up to evaluate and handle this type of incident

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Indeed so now that we know this, why don't we gather up a big pack of dogs, which we cannot control (as it is their nature to hunt weaker prey in packs) and traipse/trespass through other peoples land putting their livestock and pets at risk of mauling and potential death.

Yes, that would be the obvious course of action once you understood the pack mentality. And for good measure we wont do a letter drop or anything to say we will be doing this in the area.

Edit - At the very least depending on how exactly this happened, whoever should have been in control of the hunt should never be allowed lead a hunt again, or if it was purely an overpowering urge in the animals, that pack should never hunt again. Possibly both if the main cause cannot be ascertained

<snip>

Instead or responding to name-calling posts, please report them.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

gozunda wrote: »
    Considering this is one incident - the overall reaction and call for extreme reaction is bizarre and one which potentially would have many unintended consequences

So anyone out with two or more dogs, (a pack in other words) let's say dog owner out for a walk on the curragh. The dogs slip their leads and go on a rampage and kill a ewe

Or Fido the Neighbours dog attacks tiddles the Pekingese next door and savages him

Or Dog in park gets away from his owner and goes berserk and starts killing ducks in the pond

et

I don't think people are completely overreacting here and your comments are missing the point. If my dog worried a sheep the farmer is well within his rights to shoot him whether I like it or not so as a dog owner I do everything to ensure this doesn't happen, ever.

Now huntsmen should have the same determination when it comes to their hounds -safety should come first for all - and they were hunting - drag hunting is still hunting as far as the hounds are concerned and perhaps more frustratingly so for the hounds too -

however these huntsmen were neglectful not their dogs and certainly not the owner of the dog that died. I hope this raises questions abouts the methods and lack of either safety or skill employed in this reckless romp jolly that pretends to be a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

gozunda wrote: »

Should the owner of the dog(s) in these circumstances as you suggest never be allowed control / ownership of any dog ever again?

Calling for such extreme retribution in my opinion is simply bizarre

I am fairly confident that the authorities are already well set up to evaluate and handle this type of incident

No questions, no if's, and's, but's or maybes the dogs in all of the sceanarios you listed shouldn't make it home alive. The owner should despatch them asap. If the owner acts responsibly in the event of an incident like this then they should be allowed to have dogs in the future if they start trying to explain the dogs behaviour away then I think the law would find a way to prevent them having a dog in the future. In none of the scenarios listed above did the owners intentionally wind up a pack of dogs and set them loose in a residential area of across heavily stocked farmland so they don't really compare.

The fact that you consider putting down a dog which has attacked and killed another animal other than in a dog v dog scenario shows how out of touch with reality you are. Before you ask I have had to put down a dog in a scenario not unlike one of the ones you listed and in fact I have insurance to cover such an enventuality should it happen again. There wasn't a second hesitation. When I rang the neighbour to tell him what happened I was able to tell him he had no worries of it happening again. Apologies and compensation also formed part of that conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

skit490 wrote: »
    Even though i have heard that the dog that was killed had been out of its garden barking at the hounds and ran back in qnd was followed

? So what. Fanning the flames?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    I've had to snip out some posts which were a tad insulting, and any posts that were made in response (it should have been reported, not responded to).
    This thread has got to the going-around-in-circles stage, and some posters just continue to ignore the mod warnings.
    Therefore, this thread is now closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement