Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

theJournal article on Waterford at Christmas

Options
  • 01-12-2013 6:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hate getting into petty 'Waterford is neglected' discussions when aimed at media, but I have to say I was very disappointed that TheJournal.ie failed to give Waterford its own article about what's happening throughout the City for Christmas. We were given an article linked with another fine City, Kilkenny. Absolutely nothing against Kilkenny, they too should have their own article discussing Christmas happenings.

The reason why I am annoyed is pretty simple. I was looking forward to the article after TheJournal went through most other cities, and thought to myself 'This will be great publicity for Waterford and Winterval'. But this evening, they published the long awaited article and gave a covering in the article for both Waterford and Kilkenny.

Now, in my genuine opinion, its disappointing that both these cities were lumped together in the first place when every other city was given its own article. However, what disappoints me the most is that for Waterford with probably one of the biggest Christmas events in Ireland not to be given its own article when pretty much every other City was - really takes the biscuit.

Winterval is a fantastic idea and a fantastic festival in practise. Its doing wonders for our great city and hopefully a boost for the South East. We are a city that is struggling, a region that is struggling. Like every other region and city, but more so for our great city & region. We shouldn't be looked at and told 'Winterval? Waterford? The South East? Ah sure, lump them together and briefly cover it'.

It shows a complete lack of respect, in my view, for Waterford and the great work being done to get an absolutely fantastic Christmas festival here.

I hope this doesn't come across petty to locals or other people from around Ireland. No disrespect meant towards other Cities or regions (or TheJournal, I like the fact its a website that has effectively a decent news feed) - as I said, we are all suffering and you do your own wonderful work to try help your respective region and cities. But Waterford seems to have always had a hard time and its just disappointing that TheJournal wouldn't give Winterval and Waterford (plus Kilkenny) the recognition it deservers.

The article in question: http://www.thejournal.ie/whats-happening-christmas-events-waterford-kilkenny-1195174-Dec2013/#comment-1865939

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

I just saw this 5 mins ago and was going to post exactly the same . Just further proof treated like second class citizens for #%^* sake .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

The guy is apparently a former Waterfordian. What does that mean? was he born here and turned his back on the place or that he spent time here?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

O Riain wrote: »
    The guy is apparently a former Waterfordian. What does that mean? was he born here and turned his back on the place or that he spent time here?

Nicky, I am fairly sure, is a woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Sully wrote: »
    I hate getting into petty 'Waterford is neglected' discussions when aimed at media, but I have to say I was very disappointed that TheJournal.ie failed to give Waterford its own article about what's happening throughout the City for Christmas. We were given an article linked with another fine City, Kilkenny. Absolutely nothing against Kilkenny, they too should have their own article discussing Christmas happenings.

There's your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wow, that really is a bit miserable! Go for a ride on a plastic horse! I don't always subscribe to the 'poor Waterford' attitude, but that is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I thought the same thing myself this morning when I saw the Galway article. I was waiting to see what they'd have for the Waterford article and was disappointed to see us sharing an article that was mostly pictures. Very little in the way of detail.

Before people start coming on calling us the tin-foil hat brigade... the reason I'm disappointed is I want us to have a strong national image, and when people up the country read the article we may not be perceived as strongly as the other cities they ran the articles on. Nothing against Kilkenny naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw that myself, typical Dub "BT Group" behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

What else does Waterford have to do? Im sick of the perception of us as being conjoined with kk but we are the oldest city in Ireland. Kk is a lovely place but for gods sake, what a lazy half arsed 'article' that was..we are Waterford, gateway to the continent but an undernourished city. We deserve more and ee should demand more. Go on the journal and seek an independent article for Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Churnal has original content? When did this happen? :) Typical sh!te stuff though - lumping Waterford in with Kilkenny because they couldn't come up with the content for an individual article on either.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

i called it "lazy journalism" in my response to the article and highlighted waterford is 1100 years old this year coming and hope that kilkenny does'nt piggy back off that as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

i called it "lazy journalism" in my response to the article and highlighted waterford is 1100 years old this year coming and hope that kilkenny does'nt piggy back off that as well

When did Kilkenny ever piggy back off Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

gobo99 wrote: »
    When did Kilkenny ever piggy back off Waterford?

They piggyback off us every year we meet them in hurling as we just carry them onto the next round without putting up a fight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

obezyana wrote: »
    They piggyback off us every year we meet them in hurling as we just carry them onto the next round without putting up a fight. :D

Put up a good fight this year.

im just a bit miffed at why people have to have a dig at Kilkenny. Fair enough ye wanted yer own article but the person who wrote it wasn't from Kilkenny so...???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It really just smacks of lazy journalism. God forbid the journalist would put in a bit of effort and write up an article befitting the scale of the Winterval festival. There's more Christmas-related stuff going on here than any other town or city in the country, yet we get lumped in with Kilkenny? And this is one of those time where I've absolutely nothing against Kilkenny :)

It's bad form, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

good on you sully, i enjoyed the comments too, and you were right it was a politicians answer, shame on her for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Nicky, I am fairly sure, is a woman!

Awkward - he's male.

https://www.facebook.com/sticky.lion/about

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭deeks

Gadgie wrote: »

The picture leaves it open to interpretation if you ask me :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gadgie wrote: »

Christ, what a blunder on my part. :o

Thanks for correcting me, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

"They put Waterford in an article with Kilkenny? How dare they! Yeah well whoever wrote it looks like a girl. So there."

It's a short article on a news aggregate site that will be forgotten about within 24 hours. Somehow I don't think anyone is gonna lose any sleep over it. People seem to complain whenever some news site neglects to mention Waterford or Winterval when talking about Christmas, and then when they do, they complain that they haven't gotten their own full article dedicated to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Christ, what a blunder on my part. :o

Thanks for correcting me, much appreciated.

Don't worry about it - I wasn't 100% sure until I checked myself. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

I rather enjoyed the read...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Very poor article from the Journal,while the excuse for putting the two cities together in the piece,was also very poor.
    Expected better from them.

Advertisement