Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurospar, Stranorlar

Options
  • 01-12-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Talking of the twin towns what has happened to Eurospar in Stranorlar?
    I have been there for weeks but passed through on Friday and was shocked to see the shop deserted.
    Put out of business by LIDL? Surely not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Above post moved from the Ballybofey Utd thread where it was off topic

Talking of the twin towns what has happened to Eurospar in Stranorlar?
    I have been there for weeks but passed through on Friday and was shocked to see the shop deserted.
    Put out of business by LIDL? Surely not.
    They closed completely last Sunday. About a year ago the size of the grocery shop was cut by 50% approx and it finally shut about a month ago.

The diner remained open and it seemed to be doing well but the curtains finally came down last Sunday. I suppose it wasnt financially viable to rent the entire shop/diner premises when only part of it was being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

I'd say it was more asda and Letterkenny that put it out of business rather than lidl. A lot of people in the twin towns do most of their shopping somewhere else. Always been the perception of better value across the border as long as I can remember and the sure there's f**k all in Ballybofey attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

Is that Kernans that is now closed completely in Stranorlar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Duster wrote: »
    Is that Kernans that is now closed completely in Stranorlar ?
    Aye that's the one.

• Advertisement

I'd say it was more asda and Letterkenny that put it out of business rather than lidl. A lot of people in the twin towns do most of their shopping somewhere else. Always been the perception of better value across the border as long as I can remember and the sure there's f**k all in Ballybofey attitude.
    I couldnt agree with that at all. Yeah, maybe a few years ago you would have had a point and perhaps the Xmas shopping period but nowadays I see most local people doing their shopping locally in places like Supervalue, Costcutters, Lidl, Andies etc etc.

Lidl would have done a bit of harm to Kernans/Euorspar but I think their biggest competitor was directly across the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Other supermarkets in the town seem to be doing well and offer very good value. I would say their big problem was location. It is a busy road which makes getting out of the car park difficult especially turning towards Stranorlar. The car park itself seemed very tight for getting kids and buggies out of cars. It never came close to the standard of their Newtowncunningham shop and diner which is always busy but has much better access and parking.

Advertisement