Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism

• 01-12-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I'm in the same boat now! I have to fill out my CAO soon and I'm lost.
    I want to end up in Journalism/Broadcasting.
    I have had experience working on the radio and have had a few articles published, so i think the portfolio thing is ok. It's the course which is causing me trouble.

I'm thinking of doing an Arts International Degree in UCC and doing something like English, History, European Studies and German or Law degree.
    Can anyone shine some light on what would be more beneficial? Any particular arts subjects I should consider?

Any help at all?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

If your long term goal is Journalism then the relevant Arts subjects would be English, Politics, Economics or Languages.

Otherwise you could just study Journalism as a BA in DCU, DIT, DBS or Griffith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Speaking as someone who has similar ambitions I think it is a lot more what you do in college than your course. Get involved with student media, I'm in UCD so from that perspective there is Belfield FM, University Observer, College Tribune and Campus Television network. However most universities will have a similar caliber of student media. Then there are the debating societies that will improve your skills of speaking and arguing.

And finally to address your actual question there is your course. The point I was trying to make above is that your course will not hinder you, so choose something you like. If you like physics, then do physics, you'll be interested in your course and you could even steer your journalistic pursuits towards science and technology.

In saying all this there are a couple of courses that suit those who aspire to be a journalist.

Arts subjects will give you an excellent range of subjects to choose from and allow you to mix interests, for journalism these are the best: Economics, Politics, English, History, Philosophy.

There is also Law and I chose UCD (despite UCC being closer) because of the freedom they provide you with the "Law with" option that allows you to combine the arts subjects mentioned above (except English) with a law degree.

Advertisement