Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Beside Rental Property

Options
  • 01-12-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Just looking to hear from people that have lived long term beside a rental property. We are in the process of looking for a new place and have seen a house in an estate that we really like. We found out that the house that's next that would be next to us is a rented property, my question is, would that put you off buying?

Either of us think there'd be any problem really, you take a risk when buying in an estate regardless but it did cross our mind that the lease could be changing hands every year or so and it could potentially be stressful constantly worrying about who's going to move in next. Would a lease change hands that often? Again it would be nice to hear from anyone that has lived long term beside a rental property and would have experience of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

To be honest, be it a rental property or a home owner, it makes no odds really; youre always taking the gamble about what the neighbours will be like. The upside of living next door to a rental property is that there are procedures in place to deal with problem tenants and to have them ultimately moved on, a luxury that you do not have when dealing with owner occupiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I've only experience renting beside other rentals but I wouldn't say it makes any difference. If they are renting it is easier to get them out and it isn't likely the landlord will keep them after a year lease if they cause any hassle. The downside is it will change hands more often so it is more likely that you will get someone who does cause an issue eventually, on the other hand if it was the owner causing issues you would have to put up with it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Thanks for the advice guys, exactly the conundrum we're faced with. As I say it'd be great to hear from a few more with long term experience.
    The downside is it will change hands more often so it is more likely that you will get someone who does cause an issue eventually

This is what I'd be afraid of, I'd say 99 percent of tenants would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The downside is it will change hands more often so it is more likely that you will get someone who does cause an issue eventually, on the other hand if it was the owner causing issues you would have to put up with it for a long time.

This is exactly my point. Either way there are no guarantees; you could move next door to the perfect neighbours who sell up a month later to a family of scumbags. At least with renters you might only have to put up with trouble for a short time; its a lot harder to deal with owner occupiers.

Im not trying to defend either side; Im just trying to make the point that either way there are no guarantees.

If youre concerned then perhaps try and have a word with some other neighbours before you buy. See if there has been any trouble in the past and if so how quickly and effectively was it dealt with. It will become apparent very quickly if the property is owned by a landlord who doesnt care.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Great advice there, I think I'll do just that, as I say we really like the area nothing to lose by asking a neighbour.

And just to add, I'm not biased against either myself. It's just the frequency of the lease changing hands would have you worrying about who's moving in every other year. That could prove to be stressful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement