Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docked tails.

• 01-12-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I'm just watching Country File at the minute and its the segment called " Adam's
    Farm ". He has two dogs with him that have docked tails.
    I thought this was not done in England anymore??.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Depends on a couple of things.
    The dogs may be older than the ban.
    And, it's not a total ban. If a breeder can certify that their pups are of hunting breeds that are traditionally docked for "welfare" purposes, and will be used for hunting, the pup can be docked before a certain age, and only by a vet, who then certifies that dog that its docking is a legal one.
    Or, he may have bought his dogs from another jurisdiction where docking us permitted.
    I can't remember what breed he has... Are they vizslas? I love that show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

DBB wrote: »
    Depends on a couple of things.
    The dogs may be older than the ban.
    And, it's not a total ban. If a breeder can certify that their pups are of hunting breeds that are traditionally docked for "welfare" purposes, and will be used for hunting, the pup can be docked before a certain age, and only by a vet, who then certifies that dog that its docking is a legal one.
    Or, he may have bought his dogs from another jurisdiction where docking us permitted.
    I can't remember what breed he has... Are they vizslas? I love that show!

I think I heard somewhere that all that is required for this is to own a gun licence? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I think I heard somewhere that all that is required for this is to own a gun licence? :confused:

I'm not sure how it works in practice, but will make enquiries!
    Whilst perhaps a breeder could possibly use their gun license for Gundogs, there are two other eligible types of dogs for which this wouldn't apply: vermin control dogs, and law enforcement dogs.

Advertisement