Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed re insurance quote

Options
  • 01-12-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me....
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name my insurance company here so I won't, anyway they sent me a quote by text of €371 on 6/11/2013 and then on Friday I received a written quote in the post for €444. I didn't renew yet as it's not due till Jan. I phoned them up and they told me that they didn't send the text and that it was some kind of hoax and therefore the text quote wasn't valid. I rang the number the text came from and it said 'Welcome to (name of company), this is a dedicated text number for more information contact ....'. I phoned them back with this information and they said they'd look into it and get back to me which they haven't done. Are they obliged to give me the original text quote or do I have to take the other one? I had quite a serious accident during the year and have had a big claim which is outstanding as the other driver won't take liability and is facing prosecution for dangerous driving and I have to wait for the court case to be settled and feel therefore that I can't switch insurance companies. Hope this all makes sense.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No, quote has to be sent by letter or email. It has to have more details than just the price so they couldn't text it to you. You can argue with them or complain but I doubt you will get much luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 celined

Oh ok, thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Written quote i.e by letter is the one they have to stand over. €444 is not a bad quote for a major claim to be outstanding. It would be difficult to get another insurance co to quote with claim outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 celined

tracey1098 wrote: »
    Written quote i.e by letter is the one they have to stand over. €444 is not a bad quote for a major claim to be outstanding. It would be difficult to get another insurance co to quote with claim outstanding.

Thanks Tracey. It's good to know that they only have to stand over the written quote, just wish they hadn't sent me the text one cause I budgeted for 371 and now I have to find the extra! I figured that I didn't have any business trying another company even though the accident was not my fault and I have a Garda report to back me up. Anyway thank you both for your help much appreciated

Advertisement