Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew stuff for Christmas where & what?

Options
  • 01-12-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

My other half is big into homebrewing and has asked for some stuff including a corneilius keg and a mash tun conversion kit?

Anyone know where I can get them in Dublin or online? Also any other suggestions home brew related that I can get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Check out
    thehomebrewcompany.ie
    Homebrewwest.ie
    mybeerandwine.ie
    and you should be able to price a few kegs,mash tuns etc. As for other suggestions, as your OH sounds fairly well advanced in brewing,so it's difficult to say - I'd say have a look at the sites and get some ideas to sound them out about- in fairness it's not too difficult to get a homebrewer to start talking about the equipment they'd like! The Homebrewcompany do all grain kits for a variety of styles that would be a welcome present for any brewer - the brown Porter is very nice and I've heard good reviews of the American Pale Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

man above has said it all

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

thanks will check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rachob

HI,

I am wondering if I can jump on this thread and ask, what would you get for a first time brewer who is starting from scratch?

I have looked at the above mentioned websites, but am getting a bit bogged down and over thinking it now! It seems there is a starter kit mentioned on all the sites that seems to be the obvious way to go, but even though it is the same brand on each one, one mentions it comes with a 30litre fermenter, another says it has a 'red brewbelt' and another has neither.

Any thoughts on the best starter kit, one which literally has everything you actually need?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

First one I found, but this plus a 3kg kit (Woodforde's Wherry is a good 'un) would do it, as long as you start collecting empty beer bottles now, or buy some empties. A brewbelt isn't necessary.

Thanks a million for the reply, that looks great and I like that I can pick out a particular beer.

Now as for collecting empties, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make..

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Rachob wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the reply, that looks great and I like that I can pick out a particular beer.

Now as for collecting empties, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make..

I'm getting this one for Xmas myself, a company called allpack can supply bottles (approx 30 for around €14) this set comes with 100 caps too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hingo wrote: »
    a company called allpack can supply bottles (approx 30 for around €14) this set comes with 100 caps too

Just what I was looking for!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Just what I was looking for!

You can get 500ml bottles free from any bar that sells decent beer. No need to pay money for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

irish_goat wrote: »
    You can get 500ml bottles free from any bar that sells decent beer. No need to pay money for them.

That is very true, but frankly it is easier for me to just go somewhere like the previously mentioned supplier and just pick up a pack when stuck.

Thanks for that info, I think I know where I am going with all this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mileslow

Along similar lines...

Looking to get a starter kit as a present and came across this one: http://www.homebrewwest.ie/coopers-diy-beer-kit-new-with-vwp-sterilizer-246-p.asp. Is this a decent one to start with? Do I need anything else? And lastly, how quick are they with deliveries generally?

I was looking at that one too, I emailed the company and they said it only takes a few days to deliver.

I don't know much about all this, wondering could you get this kit but also some of the different beer kits to go with is so it could be used for different batches (ales, lagers )

yea that looks a good kit alright,

Has everything you need to get started, so basically when you get your kit with in a few hours you can be fermenting your first beer,
    id also recommend using the bleach and vinegar for Cleaner/Sterilize its easy to make and use plus you don't have to rinse it off afterwards.

you might want to order a few kits with your order also so as to have them ready for yourself as there is a one fee of €5.95 per order delivery i have gotten stuff off homebrewwest.ie and if you order it Mon you'll prob have it Wens/Thursday.

hope this helps.

you might want to order a few kits with your order also so as to have them ready for yourself.
    And remember if you're buying the 1.7kg kits you'll need to buy a top-up fermentable too -- a can of LME or a kilo of spraymalt.

Thanks guys. So I get this starter kit and then I select Coopers Wheat Beer from the drop down list.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/coopers-diy-beer-kit-new-with-vwp-sterilizer-246-p.asp
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/coopers-premium-selection-traditional-draft-17-kg-beer-kit-255-p.asp
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewferm-spraymalt-black-1-kg-3348-p.asp

So that's the starter kit with Coopers Canadian Blonde, Coopers Wheat Beer and Coopers Draft, and also the spraymalt. This is all I need?

i think if you change the free beer included to Wheat Beer you wont get the Canadian Blonde.

you need 1Kg of Spraymalt per kit you want to make, in the starter kit they have included 1 x Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 (this can be used instead of Spraymalt) its a mix of ingredients.

also you should go for a light or extra light Spraymalt as it will darken your beer.

sometyhing like

Spraymalt Extra Light 3 Kg (6 by 500grm bags)

here you get 6 500G bags for €18.95 use what you want when you want. like you would have all need for 4 kits ( ie 3 2*500G malt and 1 Brew Enhancer)

also a bag of Carbonation Drops will do a brew and a half-ish (assuming 20-23L brews in 40-44 500ml bottels, so you might need more of them also they are €2.95 a bag.

hope this helps,
    everyone here was very helpful when i got started just trying to help in return.

Just to let you know I ordered from The Home Brew Company yesterday afternoon, and it just got delivered now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

So I would really like to get that coopers kit as a gift but it is outside my budget. How much worse is this one.
    All I want is something that can be ready to start brewing this coopers pale ale on Xmas night. I wil go collect and wash some bottles from a pub. Total budget is MAX €70 that is to include the €15 for the pale ale (if it has to be bought sepratly) and delivery.
    Any help is much appreciated.

This should do you. It's under budget so I'd strongly recommend adding 1kg of spraymalt to use instead of brewing sugar (you can use the brewing sugar to prime with), plus a spirit thermometer so you can monitor the temperature accurately when you're putting the kit together and calibrate your hydrometer readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks for that. Are these the items you are suggesting?
    here & here

Advertisement