Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it poaching or simply a case of attracting the best young schoolboy soccer players

• 01-12-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

It is a constant topic of conversation amongst soccer people whether it is morally correct for some of the so called bigger clubs to approach the better players in the smaller clubs to play for them. At times the loss of a couple of players almost signals an end to a club team. Is it a case of a natural gravitation to a club or are there other forces at work.Promises of cross channel trials or representative football guaranteed ? Are some clubs being greedy by hoovering up the best young talent or is it a natural aspiration ? Speaking to a club manager with a tremendously gifted striker he confided that the lad had been the subject of numerous approaches by a particular club using the trials argument.Is this right and morally correct ? Over to you all.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Wrong forum methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

It is a constant topic of conversation amongst soccer people whether it is morally correct for some of the so called bigger clubs to approach the better players in the smaller clubs to play for them. At times the loss of a couple of players almost signals an end to a club team. Is it a case of a natural gravitation to a club or are there other forces at work.Promises of cross channel trials or representative football guaranteed ? Are some clubs being greedy by hoovering up the best young talent or is it a natural aspiration ? Speaking to a club manager with a tremendously gifted striker he confided that the lad had been the subject of numerous approaches by a particular club using the trials argument.Is this right and morally correct ? Over to you all.....

Yeah it's an outrage, reminds me of the Ashley Cole "tapping up" saga with Chelsea all those years ago. I'd imagine Tramore are offering huge wages these days are they? €10,000 a week? Hibs have the passionate supporters & Villa have the impressive 50,000 seater stadium. I'm sure anyone would be naturally attracted to what these huge clubs have to offer.

It's Junior league soccer in Waterford boy - who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I say the manager who's striker is being poached cares. While it happens all the time nothing can be really done.
    But for youngsters it good being poached or asked to play for the best team in Waterford.
    While it sucks for the manager its better to play for the best team, as more chance of winning medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Motivator wrote: »

Bit harsh don't you think? The OP obviously cares

Don't see me going in and ragging on your embroidery thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

Yeah it's an outrage, reminds me of the Ashley Cole "tapping up" saga with Chelsea all those years ago. I'd imagine Tramore are offering huge wages these days are they? €10,000 a week? Hibs have the passionate supporters & Villa have the impressive 50,000 seater stadium. I'm sure anyone would be naturally attracted to what these huge clubs have to offer.

If you would care to read the post you would have elicited from it that it has nothing primarily to do with money . That comes in after the player is hawked to some cross channel club . A bit ironic that your reply includes Villa and Tramore,,,

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    Wrong forum methinks.

Actually no as it pertains to football in the Waterford area where this cancer has gripped the schoolboy game. A lot of rural clubs are finding it difficult due to the predatory behaviour of the so called big clubs,

If you would care to read the post you would have elicited from it that it has nothing primarily to do with money . That comes in after the player is hawked to some cross channel club . A bit ironic that your reply includes Villa and Tramore,,,

It was a joke.

It was a joke.

What was a joke ? The quality of your post or the content of it ?
    I would opt for the former....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

loyalty to one club seems to be fading fast in Waterford football. a real pity.

loyalty to one club seems to be fading fast in Waterford football. a real pity.

And GAA for that matter ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

not so much of an issue in gaa...lads as young as 12/13 joining clubs because they want to be "spotted"....they all want to be the next wayne rooney...older lads leaving their own clubs because money is changing hands....im surprised at how widespread the problem is....

not so much of an issue in gaa...lads as young as 12/13 joining clubs because they want to be "spotted"....they all want to be the next wayne rooney...older lads leaving their own clubs because money is changing hands....im surprised at how widespread the problem is....

The fact is that a couple of clubs in the city are casting their net as far as Cappoquin, Stradbally and Dungarvan which I find appalling.Approaches were made to one young foreign lad who plays for Dungarvan.Scant respect is shown to the people who nurtured their talent ....

What was a joke ? The quality of your post or the content of it ?
    I would opt for the former....

Good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The fact is that a couple of clubs in the city are casting their net as far as Cappoquin, Stradbally and Dungarvan which I find appalling.Approaches were made to one young foreign lad who plays for Dungarvan.Scant respect is shown to the people who nurtured their talent ....

This is ridiculous but it is not just confined to Waterford. The FAI tried to introduce a 50KM rule instead of the 100KM rule that currently applies but it was shot down by the Dublin District Schoolboy League who trawl the country looking for players. The problem is there are big bucks to made if you 'nurtured' a schoolboy who is subject to a big transer. Something like 5% of the fee is apportioned to the clubs where he was trained iniitially.

Another problem is parents. Little Jimmy kicks a ball straight when he's three and they think he's the next Keano. In my Kid's club the coach told me the Keeper's father asked for assurances that scouts would attend games. He played two games for us and we were slaughtered. In our third match he lined out for the opposition. This is at Under 11!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Moving to Soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm not sure what things are like at this moment in time, but it used to be that you needed to transfer to certain clubs to get viewed by scouts from England and the Ireland national squads.

The scouts would often only go to clubs like Waterford Bohs, and therefore you had a far better chance of getting spotted there. Even John O'Shea, who was captain of the Ireland team for his age group and miles better than everyone else, felt the need to transfer to Bohs at the age of about 15.

Also, I can remember lads travelling down from places as far away as Cahir, Kilkenny, Carrick etc. to play for Waterford clubs. Similarly, lads from Waterford would go up to play against clubs from Dublin. You were getting more high standard games and better development as well as more chance of being spotted.

I get the sense that things have changed a bit recently, and more clubs are getting to hold onto their players. I think the likes of Bohs now are struggling to field teams at adult level, which shows that such policies don't really pay off in the long run.

Advertisement