Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical power surges

Options
  • 01-12-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Problem here . I fitted a small stereo system 6 weeksago in a small bakery . Few weeks later , stereo just died , fuse ok etc. I decided to fit an anti surge protector into mcb board as the main oven would kick in and out causing spiking. Just got a call today to say stereo no2 has gone down also as well as a 200 va transformer controlling a few downlights .. Ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I would check the voltages
    Look for a dropped neutral somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Terry hall

Thanks. Doubt it's a neutral , but worth checking alright . Unless its the main neutral . 2 different circuits . Stereo thro an rcbo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conorgill

Hi, I have a similar problem with an electric kettle. I seem to have burned out the element in 2 kettle in 2 days. Nothing obvious like running the kettle dry, no MCBs tripped or fuses blown. have lived in the house for 3 years and this problem has not occurred until now. I recently purchased a 650w steamer which is may have been used at the same time as the kettles being blown but I doubt this has anything to do with it? any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Is there a device that can be fitted a the mains board to prevent surges?
    Are they any good or expensive?
    Like op i lost some expensive stereo equipment to suspected surge. Like other poster i think an iron was in use at time which 'blew' and died. Noticed next day multi roon audio server was dead also.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Is there a device that can be fitted a the mains board to prevent surges?
    Are they any good or expensive?
    Like op i lost some expensive stereo equipment to suspected surge. Like other poster i think an iron was in use at time which 'blew' and died. Noticed next day multi roon audio server was dead also.

A device in the MCB board is usually there to protect against surges coming in from the outside.

To protect AV equipment you'd be better using something like a surge protected trailing socket at the unit.

There's a plug in filter (made in Wales) which gets very good reviews on audio sites.
    It's called a Maintrab and is available on eBay here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement