Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

national broadband scheme is a joke

• 01-12-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

moved into a new house in cavan goin on nearly 6 years ago, was told from eircom that broadband would be available there and i could carry on my internet package i had just 10 miles down the road

moved in lines were put in for the phone and then was told that i had to wait a few months for the broadband lines to be put in, they reckoned a few months so i picked up a 3 sim and tried to use that till it went down

its been 6 years and i still have no broadband line because 3 won the nbs and eircom will not be putting in the internet lines because of that, even tho 1/16th of a mile towards the town they have eircom broadband

anyway i have been using 3 since and its been a disaster, great signal but no internet that comes through it. useable between 2am to 8am then bad again till 2pm till 5pm thats it for the rest of the day

how the gov taught that the best way to get people internet is through wireless, depending on the weather i can have useable internet or just none at all, one day i had for the hole day 1260msp 0.01 down and 0.00 upload my rssi went from 76dbi to 120 something and i have a high gain antenna, so really anytime it rains or has bad weather im in the **** really which is nearly everyday

so i was told by comreg to get the nbs from 3 where they guarantee certain speeds after ages of trying to get on it i was told by 3 navan that they arent taking on new customers and that i would have to wait for the 4g and isnt available to pre pay customers for a full 18 months

so really i have no providers in the country that can give me a decent internet connection which is a total joke, ive been onto 3 and they switch you to a line that doesnt have much contention just to shut you up but makes no difference the service is still **** and comreg i taught were on my side when i complained but after dealing with them for so long they just seem to mask the problem and dont get the company to do anything

i try my best here to run a business but i cant, i fell like a spare prick having to go down to a friends house just to do some emails, its no wonder small businesses are failing with no support from anywhere

it absolutley sickens me to see all these companys esp eircom putting all their money into the fiber and trying to sell it when alot of people cant even get basic internet its just wrong im sick of it all now tonight i just had enough im sure yous call tell lol if there was someone i could punch in the face for all this i would be out starting the car thats how frustrated i am and paying good money aswell for all of the stress

anyway the nbs is a joke 3 need to buck up or get out its ****e, or a company has to step up and sort the mess out. its all about money and the lack off they will make but thats what the government got off the eu for

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

pig666eon wrote: »

how the gov taught that the best way to get people internet is through wireless, depending on the weather i can have useable internet or just none at all, one day i had for the hole day 1260msp 0.01 down and 0.00 upload my rssi went from 76dbi to 120 something and i have a high gain antenna, so really anytime it rains or has bad weather im in the **** really which is nearly everyday

anyway the nbs is a joke 3 need to buck up or get out its ****e, or a company has to step up and sort the mess out. its all about money and the lack off they will make but thats what the government got off the eu for

Lodge a formal complaint the the DECNR, don't just ring up but write to them in 31 Adelaide Rd, Dublin 2 and let them explain...

You do have to exhaust the utterly pointless 3 technical support formally by getting a complaint number from them and giving that to Comreg...then you can tackle the DECNR

According to DECNR the NBS works perfectly and there are no problems whatsoever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I'd lodge a complaint if I were you, get someone else to write it up for you though...if I received a complaint or even an email written like that I'd just delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pig666eon

I'd lodge a complaint if I were you, get someone else to write it up for you though...if I received a complaint or even an email written like that I'd just delete it.

yeah well its not what i would say on a letter obviously just frustrated is all

i have sent emails/ letters but i have never got anywhere. according to comreg 3 still have the obligation to put me on the nbs but there has been no word back on that from them at all

ill try some other places to complain to, im normally a chilled out guy first time ive every complained to anywhere shame it gets my goat so bad over it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are you saying that your neighbours can get eircom broadband? It may be worthwhile looking into contacting eircom on their forum on Boards to investigate why you can't get it. It could just need a quick repair on the phone line further down the road etc.

I feel like eircom otherwise sold you a phone line on porkies and they should honour their side of the deal if they said you could easily move it to your area.

Are you saying that your neighbours can get eircom broadband? It may be worthwhile looking into contacting eircom on their forum on Boards to investigate why you can't get it. It could just need a quick repair on the phone line further down the road etc.

I feel like eircom otherwise sold you a phone line on porkies and they should honour their side of the deal if they said you could easily move it to your area.

pretty much next house to me is about a 2 min walk say down the road they have eircom broadband, im apparently on a different line (area) to them which never was approved to get put in, in the process of them doing it 3 won the nbs and eircom cancelled any lines going in for us. obviously we didnt pay for the broadband while we were waiting but we got rid of the landline after a while aswell waiting too long

they kept saying when i rang up oh its scheduled call back in 6 months for a update techs are busy doing other areas, after then the first year or so they told me to get everyone in the area to ring up and ask for the lines to be put in and that would move our area up the list, then the woman on the phone said it wont be happening at all because 3 is now running the nbs and to call them for the service

as anyone knows its just terrible, i would be a very happy man just to have stable internet which 3 cant do, a house beside me was on the nbs and they had to put a dish up and cancelled it 2 months later with the same issues as me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok, so the reason they can get it is they're on a different exchange. So your phone line runs in the opposite direction to an exchange that was never upgraded to BB(Probably a very very small rural one). Eircom have a statutory mandate to cover uncovered areas but as youve said, three got their so it never happened.

The cost of upgrading an exchange, at a guess, would be a six figure number. If eircom can see a potential customer base of 50-100 subscribers at ~€50 a month its not very economical. Especially if its a long distance to run the backhaul to the rest of the network.

You could lobby local TDs to have it done but dont hold your breath. Another option would be to politely request eircom provision you off the same carrier as your neighbours. Again this is costly, but not nearly as much as upgrading an exchange from phone to BB. If your neighbours can get 4mb+ then thats a reasonable option, if they're already on 1 then not so much.

Being honest though, in an area like that you could wait years to get fibre to the cabinet, and at that point other areas will be doing fibre to the home. If broadband matters to you then move if possible, economics dictate you'll always be last to get everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

are there no wireless providers in the area?

Digiweb, Imagine, Ripplecom, Airspeed, Net1 (these guys cover at least part of Cavan). - they all do rural wireless broadband that is vastly superior to 3G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Aren't the ESB doing a trial of fibre alongside their power lines in Cavan somewhere ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Have sniff about here and see what providers are in your area: http://irelandoffline.org/map/

The list is not exhaustive but it might help

there is not a single company that have any resources in my area, i have been approached many times in cavan town/ tesco ect ect and the sales people who are mad to make a sale just said sorry nothing they could do

moving is defo not a option as its a mortgage and would be fairly costly just to uproot over the lack of internet, ive been onto local tds but they got caught up in the hole nbs bull and i was told that i am forced to go with 3 there is nothing they could do beyond that point because its a gov scheme and its " working perfectly "

comreg said that all they can do is get people out of contracts with 3 but where does anyone go from there if there is nothing else available?

3 have the excuse that its the signal and lack there off, ive a 80cm sat dish with a high gain antenna pointed directly at the nearest mast, i get about 70dbi from the numbers there is a bad day rain/ wind it shoots up to 120dbi and its hit or miss if i will be able to load a email, so yeah it is a signal issue but any sort of bad weather screws the hole thing up we must have at least 6 months of bad weather a year, i get like 3 months of summer that the internet is ok not great just ok

3 can never supply decent internet even tho they guarantee 2.6meg or whatever because my friend got that during the day and from 5:30pm to 11:00pm it was 0.3. he recorded everything daily with times for 2 weeks and got onto comreg and they got onto 3. instead of fixing the issue it was agreed that they will just cancel the contract and that was that, comreg cant do anything about it now because your not a nbs customer, all you can do now write/ call a td or regulator and they tell you to give 3 another go that 99% of customers of the nbs are satisfied with what they have and you are the 1%. i can see clearly from here and other forums that its the 1% that are happy under the scheme the rest are on complaining about it

i know complaining about it is fairly stupid at this point but reading all these threads about the fiber and 150meg down speeds where id give my left one for something stable just gets me, the gov got alot of money to make it happen and i cant get a stable connection from anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

What about satellite internet? It's expensive, it's useless for gaming and the download caps are a joke, but it's grand for checking emails and watching low quality videos.

Three are supposed to provide a discounted satellite internet package if the mobile reception etc. isn't up to it.

I'm very suprised about Net1. They have pretty decent wireless coverage in Co. Cavan considering half the place is drumlin country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ripplecom any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I was gonna suggest you put an antenna on a pole like some of the midband forum lads have, but it seems youve got a decent setup already and bad weather is bad weather.

If the wireless providers dont cover you theres only one other thing I can think of: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21442348

You'd have to have enough interested parties. And somewhere to buy a decent line. Do you mind disclosing roughly where you are? Might help people advise you better. Getting the backhaul to the other end would take some negotiating but it should be doable if there's enough willpower.

That's a huge difference in bad weather also. Rain does not cause a 50dB reduction in signal unless it's beyond monsoonal! I reckon it could be worth troubleshooting the setup, antenna placement and cabling etc to make sure they're waterproof and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Net1's map - they seem to have nearly all of Cavan covered, do you live underground?

coveragemap.jpg

EDIT - just noticed their map has the N55 marked as a dual-carriageway and the M3 missing altogether, so starting to doubt the accuracy of it...

Advertisement