Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpentry business

Options
  • 01-12-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all. Going starting my own carpentry business in the new year. I'll be doing 1st and 2nd fix and roofing( general carpentry ). I have been working in the trade for 12yrs and think it's time to do my own thing now. I'm looking for any advice on starting out. The dos and dont's and info on pricing jobs,advertising,Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There's a guy that's posts a lot over in AH that owns a very successful building company. He's had a few incarnations but I believe he's calling himself NuckingFacker. He'll put you straight. :)

You can PM him here
    http://touch.boards.ie/message/create/631824

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Well mate

Im a quantity surveyor. What you really need to do is work out some unit rates to allow you to price your work effectively. If you need any help don't hesitate to drop me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

dece.ger wrote: »
    Hi all. Going starting my own carpentry business in the new year. I'll be doing 1st and 2nd fix and roofing( general carpentry ). I have been working in the trade for 12yrs and think it's time to do my own thing now. I'm looking for any advice on starting out. The dos and dont's and info on pricing jobs,advertising,Thanks

Keep your costs tight from day one. Be careful with estimates of time. Review labour costs regularly to see if direct/subcontract /fixed price is the best way for you. Always take time to measure as its amazing how many carpenters quess quantities and use average quantities for house skirts etc. Keep a sharp eye on waste as you dont want to see profit in a skip and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

As others said keep your costs low and keep an eye on waste. I work as a QS with one of the Top 10 Contractors in the Country.

There is definitely a need for good Carpentry companies, I know its only early days for you but there is a huge niche in the market for Medium Sized Carpentry Contractors, most of the lads that was at it in the good times are either gone bust or working in London.

Another small bit of advice, when you receive something to price, have a look at it and if its something your not interested in, reply with an email, amazing what lengths good customer service will bring you.

Finally, best of luck and if you need any advice, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

As others said keep your costs low and keep an eye on waste. I work as a QS with one of the Top 10 Contractors in the Country.

There is definitely a need for good Carpentry companies, I know its only early days for you but there is a huge niche in the market for Medium Sized Carpentry Contractors, most of the lads that was at it in the good times are either gone bust or working in London.

Another small bit of advice, when you receive something to price, have a look at it and if its something your not interested in, reply with an email, amazing what lengths good customer service will bring you.

Finally, best of luck and if you need any advice, PM me.

There all gone to London etc for good reason.. there is no work out there in construction. But maybe things are better in the bigger areas like Dublin. I think there is niche opportunities out there but 1st and 2nd fixing isn't one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

In 1 word EXHIBITIONS try break into that market there is major money there you work for it but in these times people want to show off there wares

bizzyb wrote: »
    There all gone to London etc for good reason.. there is no work out there in construction. But maybe things are better in the bigger areas like Dublin. I think there is niche opportunities out there but 1st and 2nd fixing isn't one of them.

We have never been busier in the last 5 years,loads of government jobs still running. Our problem is getting guys to price packages that are 200k plus, very little trade contractors big enough for this kind of work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

have a friend that does paving n has started charging for quotes if the job is outside 10 mile away. he was running up to dublin pricing work that he was never going to get, an hour each way travelling n an hour measuring.
    now he tells them its 60 quid for a quote there n then n he'll knock that off if he gets the job. stops the messers who get 6 quotes n then put it on the long finger.

We have never been busier in the last 5 years,loads of government jobs still running. Our problem is getting guys to price packages that are 200k plus, very little trade contractors big enough for this kind of work anymore.

Very little trade contractors who are still willing to work for main contractors is nothing to do with their availability (i price for a number of carpentry contractors doing well in excess of 200k jobs and know of at least 10 others in dublin). Its mainly a risk issue and also due to the fact that almost every main contractor has and is burning subbies on an ongoing basis. It will be interesting to see how many main contractors working today are still around in 5 years given the effect the construction contracts act will have on their cashflow.

enricoh wrote: »
    have a friend that does paving n has started charging for quotes if the job is outside 10 mile away. he was running up to dublin pricing work that he was never going to get, an hour each way travelling n an hour measuring.
    now he tells them its 60 quid for a quote there n then n he'll knock that off if he gets the job. stops the messers who get 6 quotes n then put it on the long finger.

If he was the cheapest he would get the work, nobody gets quotes for the fun of it. Any contractor will go with the best price.

• Advertisement

kkelliher wrote: »
    Very little trade contractors who are still willing to work for main contractors is nothing to do with their availability (i price for a number of carpentry contractors doing well in excess of 200k jobs and know of at least 10 others in dublin). Its mainly a risk issue and also due to the fact that almost every main contractor has and is burning subbies on an ongoing basis. It will be interesting to see how many main contractors working today are still around in 5 years given the effect the construction contracts act will have on their cashflow.

Agree completely with you, the Construction Contracts Act will help resolve the issue of contractors paying subbies. I work for one of the big 5 and we have an impeccable payment record, I know one of the big contractors in Ireland is burning subbies at the moment but that won't last, that same big contractor will be bust by the end of 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

If he was the cheapest he would get the work, nobody gets quotes for the fun of it. Any contractor will go with the best price.

Was on about private houses there not contractors. The fun starts when yer looking for your dough with contractors!

enricoh wrote: »
    Was on about private houses there not contractors. The fun starts when yer looking for your dough with contractors!

dont underestimate how hard it is to get paid by private individuals

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mikeholmes1

Said i'd give this thread a bump,Thinking of doing the same myself and wondering how it went for you and how you found the whole experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Free Pig

I was thinking of doing this myself would also like to know how you got on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He didnt reply to the last guy 3 years ago, he is unlikely to reply to you...send him a pm instead of reopening a thread years later..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement