Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Painfull Gas..

Options
  • 01-12-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, I am looking for some help please. Our little daughter is 9 weeks old and she does get awful pains when passing gas. She wakes herself up at night. She is very gassy, farting constantly all day. We have been feeding her Aptamil since she was born. We had to change to the hungry feed at week 2 because she was very hungry baby. We get all her wind up during feeds, that has never been a problem. she has 1 maybe 2 dirty nappies aday. The are runny but not very runny, as she is our first Im not sure if babies have solid poos.?? We are thinking of changing formula to maybe SMA Gold as we can't bare to see her in pain. To see if this will help with her wind, but we are very nervous about changing. We have tried gripe water and it does seem to make it slightly less painful but she still cries farting. looking for any help or advice from people we have dealt with this problem. thanks first time parent...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd switch formula for a week. Different ones suit different babies better. I went from breastmilk to aptimel, to sma, to sma hungry and back to sma before we were haooy she was most comfortable on that one. But other babies are happier on cow and gate or aptimel.

If you can, try to get as much wind up, rather than down...

And if she is in pain, try cycling her legs.

You could also try changing the frequency of her feeds? Smaller amounts more often.

Some people say the dr brown bottles are good for wind, i never used them myself, so not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I use doctor brown bottles and they do stop the intake of wind, but they are fiddly - there's about six bits to each bottle! Pain to assemble when they are sterilised without touching the inside (I got really good tongs in Mothercare, the innosense brand, it's like a silicone pincher thing, much better than tongs)
    I also give him infacol before each feed to help get the wind up. Perhaps the hungry baby formula is contributing to the wind?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Talk to the PHN.
    How did you determine that she was hungry and it was not something else bothering her?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

it was the PHN that told us give her the hungry feed, she was looking for a bottle constantly, pulling at her mouth. once we changed to hungry feed she was content for hours between feeds.
    the are man size farts that she pushes out, we are using tommee tipee bottles with number 2 teat. as i said earlier she gets great burps up straight away. she is such a great baby, we just don't want to see her in pain while farting. my own thinking is the aptamil formula just doesn't suit her digestive system.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

aww the poor little pet.
    Aptimil 1 and 2 are very different from a digestive point of view but if neither of them suit then try another one.
    All babies are different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 acia

My son was exactly the same, he's 21 months now but looking back now I wished I had changed his milk like you I was nervous to upset him more and the nurses in local clinic told weren't extremely supportive on changing milk. I did change him from Aptamil hungry baby to Aptamil 1 with Dr Browns and infacol which did help. I think once his digestive system matured and the wind problem stopped I moved him back to hungry baby and Avent bottles, he's flying now but they were a rough few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I had the same issue but found the Dr Brown bottles great. They didn't alleviate the problem completely, but did help a lot to make it easier. Try some gripe/wind relief products also. The Dentinox & Infacol were similar in consistency, or there are drops Lactease I think? you can add to the feed before giving it to eliminate any lactose intolerance. It really is trial & error.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

My son was the exact same and I tried every formula and stopped breast feeding and got no results. My phn suggested baby massage and what a difference that made.....op ask your phn about gentle baby massage I think it was called

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

just to post an update,
    We changed the formula last monday to SMA Gold. And it has made a massive difference.
    The farting has stopped, (apart from the very odd normal one!!! :eek:). She has now slept 5 nights in a row from 9.30 10ish to 7.30 - 8.00. her nappies are so much better.

she is still a getting abit of pain, arching her back during and after the bottle. even though we getting the wind up. My wife took her to the doctor this morning as we think she has reflux. He agreed that she may have slight reflux so we gonna give her infant gaviscon. he also said she has trush on the back of her troat so we got antibiotics for that also. So here's hoping the days continue to get better from here on. Thanks for all your replies and advice.

Advertisement