Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annals of Dublin

• 01-12-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is really Genealogy or history, but gives basic context to events seen as important at the time. Phase one of OCR/Transcripts of Annals of Dublin which appear in various directories - Thom's, Pettigrew & Oulton, Treble, Watsons etc Many are simple one line entries but are more detailed in later years and include fires, Royal visits, 'inundations', commencement of various buildings, collapses, plagues, mentions of the river Liffey freezing over etc

It's still very much in beta-mode but I've to leave this for a couple of days to work on some map scanning - thanks to jd

Annals of Dublin (page 6 - 968 to 1068 CE)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Newstreet

What a valuable and fascinating resource! Great to bring all of this together in one accessible place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Shane,

That is a great site that you have put together. Pretty much everything on there is to my taste! A great resource, I must put it on the essential links on my blog.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Great stuff Shane!
    shanew wrote: »
    ...not sure if this is really Genealogy or history...

The more I delve into my own history the more I realise I need to brush up on everyone else's history - local, national and international! The two go hand in hand as far as I can see.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Hermy wrote: »
    .....The more I delve into my own history the more I realise I need to brush up on everyone else's history - local, national and international! The two go hand in hand as far as I can see.

aside from details of the family, that has been the main eye-opener for me. A little shocking how little I knew about our own and World history before I started this family tree stuff... that and the obsession with maps and directories. Now I cant get enough of it. Without details of history and events of the times, I dont think you have any context and the family stories are a little bare

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Gosh, Shane, it's a while since I've looked at your website: it's really grown. Well done!

That map of destroyed buildings in the Rising is a shocker!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The 1916 map of destroyed buildings really shows the devastation. All the photos I've ever seen of the time only show O'Connell Street, Clery's and the GPO! The map shows a lot more besides. Thanks for putting this up.

Advertisement