Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering baby in Lombard Street - no buggy allowed in room?

Options
  • 01-12-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi!
    I went into Lombard Street to register my baby on Friday. When I was called I was told that I was not allowed bring the buggy into the room as there would be no room for it and when I pointed out that there was plenty of room for it I was told that I had to leave it outside the door with my baby asleep in it with the door open. The result was with my constant looking over my shoulder to check that my baby was ok was that I missed the fact that they spelt our address wrong. The girl who was after me had a travel system with her and she was told to take the car seat off and leave the buggy outside the room.
    Has this happened anyone else? To say I was surprised that they guy wouldn't let me bring the buggy into the room was an understatement considering the area only deals with birth registrations you would expect the majority of parents to have a buggy with them. I've tried to find an e-mail address to complain to but I can't find any.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

When I went to Lombard st to register my sons birth, we dealt with a very nice girl who let us bring in the buggy, went through the details carefully, complimented me on my son and his name and was generally very helpful. While we were waiting though, a male employee came out of one of the rooms and my OH pointed him out, he told me that he had dealt with him when he went to register his fathers death and that he was grumpy and not terribly pleasant. So I guess you just were unfortunate to get the grumpy guy!
    TBH, while it probably wasn't very nice/accommodating of the guy to not let you bring the buggy in, I doubt you'd get very far with a complaint - they'd probably reply it was up to the employee on the day etc etc. I don't know about the wrong address - you might have a hard time proving that the mistake was as a result of you being distracted. If it was me I'd let it go tbh - you're only in the place for a few minutes and it's a one-off occasion, it's not like you have to go there every week. Perhaps go in without the baby; bring in your birth cert and ask about getting the address corrected, and while you are there mention what happened last time and express that you feel buggies ought to be accommodated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It doesn't only deal with birth registrations, it also deals with death registrations.

We were allowed bring our buggy in on both of our first and second, on the third we didn't bring the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've been there twice in 2 years and both times there was loads of buggies in the room. about 12 maxi cosi car seats in buggies the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

When I was there I got to bring mine in but I did notice one guy working there wasnt letting anyone bring theirs in which I thought was really odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I wonder what they would say if you insisted in bringing the buggy in and stated you were uncomfortable leaving it at the door? Could they then refuse to take you or to register the birth?

From what I can remember we didnt have a problem last year... However, if i get that grumpy guy when im there next year with a new born and a 14 month old I think I'd insist on bringing my babies in with me... in a very assertive but polite manner. id nearly tell him where to go tbh... But i know i know... that probably wouldn't get me anywhere....

Could they refuse to take one in that circumstance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I was there Friday also in the afternoon and we had the buggy in. Also 3-4 more buggys arrived after us and were all in te waiting area when we left.

The lady we dealt with there was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We've been in twice, happened to deal with the same guy in the same office both times, buggy was no problem. I didn't notice anyone having any issues with buggies either time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What do they do if one or both parents are using a wheelchair, out is it only buggies they have a problem with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Was there a week ago, left bottom bit outside room and just brought the car seat with the young lad in...room was small enough so it wasn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ohhh_diamonds

It was a guy who had the issue with - so from the replies here it appears I'm not alone! I had no option but to bring the buggy in as I had to head in on the train to register her. And if I'd taken her out of the buggy I'd have woken her and then had to have hands free to hand over my ID and sign the screen. I'm just shocked that after shutting down the other centres in Dublin (last time I registered in Coolock and I had no issues there at all!) that they would at least make the place parent friendly.
    The impression I got from the guy was that if I insisted on the buggy coming into the room he was not going to deal with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

It was a guy who had the issue with - so from the replies here it appears I'm not alone! I had no option but to bring the buggy in as I had to head in on the train to register her. And if I'd taken her out of the buggy I'd have woken her and then had to have hands free to hand over my ID and sign the screen. I'm just shocked that after shutting down the other centres in Dublin (last time I registered in Coolock and I had no issues there at all!) that they would at least make the place parent friendly.
    The impression I got from the guy was that if I insisted on the buggy coming into the room he was not going to deal with me.

Jeez that's very bad form of him....
    I hope I don't get him next March!

Advertisement