Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Galway Photograph - Talbot's Saddlery

Options
  • 01-12-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I was hoping one of ye could help me.

Im looking for a photograph of Talbots Saddlery that used to be on Shop Street.

It was my Grandfathers shop and I'm looking to get a photo of it as a Christmas present for my mother.

There are no photographs of the shop in the family. My father did see a photograph of the shop on one of the walls in Tesco but it was thrown out after a renovation and no one in Tesco know where they got it from. So a picture does exist.

Kennys have a page on old galway which mentions the shop:

http://www.kennys.ie/News/OldGalway/08052008-ShopStreetACenturyAgo/

I have already sent an email to the address on the bottom of the page so hopefully that may yield some results.

Would any of ye know of any other places/people I should be chasing up.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

You should check out the fb page of Galway Memories they have loads of old photos of galway. They may have the one that your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Do you know the exact location? What is in it's place now?

You should also check the the Equestrian section here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13 talbots saddlery

JillyQ wrote: »
    You should check out the fb page of Galway Memories they have loads of old photos of galway. They may have the one that your looking for.

Many thanks, have checked their page (which was great) but there didnt seem to be a photo there. Have sent them an email so hopefully that will yield some results.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Do you know the exact location? What is in it's place now?

It was opposite Lynchs castle but im not exactly sure where.

• Advertisement

You should also contact dartfield horse muesum in Loughrea.

JillyQ wrote: »
    You should also contact dartfield horse muesum in Loughrea.

Thanks Jill, some great suggestions. Have started a thread over in the Equestrian section and will drop a line to the musuem.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Paddyfield wrote: »

Thanks Paddy. Have already seen that but unfortunately it doesn't show the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Thanks Paddy. Have already seen that but unfortunately it doesn't show the shop.

How about this picture ? http://www.nli.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Shop-Street-Galway.jpg

From the listing of shops in the previously mentioned website, it might be in it.

There seems to be a collection of pictures at the Galway library (the Lawrence collection). I never saw it but recently saw it mentioned on the Galway Memories FB page. (Will be enquiring myself soon about it as they look interesting).

Best of luck with your quest.

V

• Advertisement

ValerieR wrote: »
    How about this picture ? http://www.nli.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Shop-Street-Galway.jpg

From the listing of shops in the previously mentioned website, it might be in it.

There seems to be a collection of pictures at the Galway library (the Lawrence collection). I never saw it but recently saw it mentioned on the Galway Memories FB page. (Will be enquiring myself soon about it as they look interesting).

Best of luck with your quest.

V

Thank you Valerie. I have sent an email to Galway library so hopefully that will yield some results. Im not based in Galway so I wont be able to pay a visit in person. Thanks for your suggestion.

In case anyone is interested, or may have to do something similar themselves. So far Ive sent emails to the following people:

National Library of Ireland
    Galway Library
    Galway Memories (facebook page)
    GalwayHistory.info
    oldgalwaypics.co.uk
    Dartfield Horse Museum, Loughrea
    Kennys Bookshop
    Galway City Museum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement