Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now you've bought or are buying a new console, what happens to your back catalogue??

• 01-12-2013 10:13pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So,
    rather than continue spoiling another thread, the question in the title of this one needs answering.

If you are buying into the next gen, be it now, Christmas or later, and you've not been a collector up to this point, what happens to your 360/PS3 and all the games you've amassed, assuming that's the only collecting you've done.

Did you finish everything?
    Are you going to?
    What about you're investment over the last 7/8 years in the previous gen?

In my case, while I won't be selling anything, it will mean the supplanted console being consigned to the gamesroom upstairs and much of it's catalogue of games finding a dusty shelf to live there.
    Not much chance of getting played if you are now competing with not only Mr Shinypants new console but also the greats of yesteryear as well.

So, in your case, what happens/has happened to your previous beloved games library for the 360/PS3? Will you miss them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Hopefully I'll be picking up a ps4 around/after Christmas. The ps3 will be staying where it is for Dark Souls 2 in March. Dark Souls is the only game I keep going back to so if it's successor is as good/better then the ps3 will escape being put in a box somewhere for a good while yet.

Also won't be selling any of my games even though I don't play most of them. I could see myself replaying some games at some point like Mass Effect or Red Dead Redemption. And I usually replay some Final Fantasy games on occasion. Oh and the Final Fantasy X re-release when that's out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've made the mistake of selling old consoles before, and always regret it. Nice to get a bit of cash, but with the lack of backwards compatibility on current gen consoles, you always miss some of the older games.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Usual routine for new consoles. New console will sit there gathering dust for about 2 years while the old one continues as my main system until the new one starts getting the bulk of the better games and the old one phases out naturally.

I've a lot of a backlog to play on my PS3 and most the games I want being released in the next year or two are on it so bit of a non-decision. PS4 might get unplugged for a bit until it earns its keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

As everyone starts saving or have already bought the next gen machines, I've convinced myself to avoid them for as long as I can. Get stuck into the back catalogue although its actually pretty sparse :) so the plan is to try get the few games I missed on the Cube and Wii and play them. Then If (and its a big if) I get enough funds to buy a new system it'll be a Wii U. there is already 4-5 games I really want to play on the U and I think its time I grabbed one.

The 360/PS3 will get new games in Ultra Street Fighter 4, South Park the stick of truth, Dark Souls 2 and Castlevania lords of shadows 2 so they will stay and I have abandoned the idea of getting a next gen machine. I am toying with the idea of trading in the PS3, but I've never sold a console and not regretted it so I doubt that will happen.

Hopefully the housemate lets me play Killer Instinct on the Xbone more often, and somehow I get a free PS4 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Balls to new consoles. The hardware is unreliable & the games suck for the first two years at a minimum.

Picked myself up a PS3 on the cheap to enjoy all the awesome exclusives I've not yet played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I got myself a PS4 on Friday but I will not be getting rid of my PS3 or 360. When I get my entertainment room sorted out I will have space to set everything up and display all my games.

As for my backlog I am finished with all my PS3 games that I own. Some are unopened but I just don't fancy playing them. Games like Darksiders II and 3D Dot Game Hero.

There are though some games I still need to buy - The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls and Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

My 360 is still where it was before I got my One and will stay there, I don't have any other devices under my TV at the moment so don't have to worry about space until I eventually pick up a PS4 in about a year or so. As for the games, I have bought a lot of games digitally on the 360 over the last year or so because there have been some good sales on there and I will continue to buy games in the sales when anything I like pops up cheap, like Dark Souls tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'd continue playing all the games I've bought over the last 15 years.

Oh wait...you said consoles. Sorry...thought it was a PC thread.

My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Balls to new consoles. The hardware is unreliable & the games suck for the first two years at a minimum.

Picked myself up a PS3 on the cheap to enjoy all the awesome exclusives I've not yet played.

Man you are in for a treat, especially Uncharted 2, The last of us and Journey.

If you haven't played Hotline Miami elsewhere grab that too. epic stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So,
    rather than continue spoiling another thread, the question in the title of this one needs answering.

If you are buying into the next gen, be it now, Christmas or later, and you've not been a collector up to this point, what happens to your 360/PS3 and all the games you've amassed, assuming that's the only collecting you've done.

Did you finish everything?
    Are you going to?
    What about you're investment over the last 7/8 years in the previous gen?

In my case, while I won't be selling anything, it will mean the supplanted console being consigned to the gamesroom upstairs and much of it's catalogue of games finding a dusty shelf to live there.
    Not much chance of getting played if you are now competing with not only Mr Shinypants new console but also the greats of yesteryear as well.

So, in your case, what happens/has happened to your previous beloved games library for the 360/PS3? Will you miss them?

You have a games room? La de DA.

Personally I give my console and games to my younger cousins if they want them , some of them are not at an age to know what is cool or not and their parents won't or can't get them the newer console.Soon they will be older and might sniff at the notion of hand me downs.

Years ago, while the mega drive was still working I bash away,with glee, on sensible soccer and streets of rage. The memories... Also on ps1 (loved that console, the whole wowness of superior graphics to the Sega and a disk) loved that NBA jam game "he's on fire"...

There is a games shop in Talbot st in Dublin. I saw a Sega mega drive on sale for e60. Some dedicated playa who buys that.

Other than that, I.don't really play them again.sure I am totally over GTA V after all that hype.lol

• Advertisement

Danonino. wrote: »
    Man you are in for a treat, especially Uncharted 2, The last of us and Journey.

If you haven't played Hotline Miami elsewhere grab that too. epic stuff.

What's hotline Miami? Is last of us good or just a long list of cutting scenes lie heavy rain? (impressive on admits)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Last of Us is fantastic, and is worth the price of the PS3. There are cutscenes, but not like Heavy Rain. It's 90% gameplay.

dor83 wrote: »
    My 360 is still where it was before I got my One and will stay there, I don't have any other devices under my TV at the moment so don't have to worry about space until I eventually pick up a PS4 in about a year or so. As for the games, I have bought a lot of games digitally on the 360 over the last year or so because there have been some good sales on there and I will continue to buy games in the sales when anything I like pops up cheap, like Dark Souls tomorrow.

The digital thing: the main reason a console breaks down is due to the bloody laser or yellow ring of death etc. Now granted a system may slow down due to age, and one would need more hard drive as a game would chew things up, but, does getting digital cut down on the chances of having to rebuy the unit due to your old unit breaking down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Is last of us good or just a long list of cutting scenes lie heavy rain?

The last of us is a great game. It's a survival shooter with a great story.

Beyond two souls is the one that's similar to heavy rain.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll be picking up a ps4 around/after Christmas. The ps3 will be staying where it is for Dark Souls 2 in March. Dark Souls is the only game I keep going back to so if it's successor is as good/better then the ps3 will escape being put in a box somewhere for a good while yet.

Also won't be selling any of my games even though I don't play most of them. I could see myself replaying some games at some point like Mass Effect or Red Dead Redemption. And I usually replay some Final Fantasy games on occasion. Oh and the Final Fantasy X re-release when that's out.
    Red dead redemption for me was incredibly enjoyable.the scenery was unbelievable! I really hope Rock Star do another western game like it.ya, come to think of it I might give that a bash.

Another game I like going back to is a game called the Sabteour .comic book enjoyable and fantastic scenery , and clever idea of using black n white around a town where Nazis still rule, when you defeat them from the area pure colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

The digital thing: the main reason a console breaks down is due to the bloody laser or yellow ring of death etc. Now granted a system may slow down due to age, and one would need more hard drive as a game would chew things up, but, does getting digital cut down on the chances of having to rebuy the unit due to your old unit breaking down?
    I'm honestly not sure if it does or not but I'd imagine the less use the disc drive gets the less likely it is to fail. The main reason I have been buying digital games on the 360 is the sales, there have been some really good offers in the last year or so, especially when you have been buying points online for cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

My collection has been cleverly trimmed over the past twelve month in preparation for being put away with the consoles for preservation. The best games I missed were picked up second hand through trade ins of new but not best of breed games, multi game bundles were bought and the classics ranges pilfered.

In 20 years time I'm not going to feel nostalgic for sports games or copycat fps games, so there's no need to keep them. By the end of next year I'll probably be down to what I think are the best or most important 50-100 games on each platform

*edit*

I'll also be picking up a brand new ps3 and xbox 360 when the price bottoms out and leaving them unopened as backups

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My collecting is limited to games I will play and yet it has gotten to be large over the last 14 years since I stopped selling off machines.
    It is great to hear mention of a game or console and know you can tip upstairs and play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd continue playing all the games I've bought over the last 15 years.

Oh wait...you said consoles. Sorry...thought it was a PC thread.

My bad.

You are missing the sheer joy that is owning a games room full of consoles from the last 25 years. PCs can go feck themselves :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Never got into Killzone 2. Put it on Friday and am loving it?
    Played a tonne of MW3 with a dude I met from Birmingham. Kinda meh about the new console now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

Traded them all in. I always trade in games I dont play, dont see the point in keeping them. If for whatever reason I want to play it again then ill buy it again second hand. Im not stuck for money but I just dont like keeping things I dont use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Still have my PS3 perched underneath the new PS4. I have a couple of games I will definitely go back to, like TLOU when the DLC releases, but most of the ones I think I will finish will probably fall by the wayside as the PS4 starts to dominate my time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to be the same but I realised that new does not equal better and so I can happily play Tokyo Highway Battle in the same session as Grid 2.

Advertisement