Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I drop geography?

• 01-12-2013 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I really need advice on if to drop geography or not. Honestly I pretty much hate the subject and have no interest in it what so ever. The only reason why I chose it was because biology class was full and other options weren't suitable.
    As for what course I want to do in college I still have no idea. Right now I'm thinking of doing HRM in DIT, however still unsure and haven't chosen any other courses.
    Subjects-wise I'm doing:
    English H
    Maths O
    Spanish H
    Business H
    Accounting H
    Geography H
    Link
    + I'm sitting polish H

(It's possible that I'll go down to ordinary in Spanish)
    With these subjects I'm looking at about 400 points if I'm lucky so do you think I should drop geography all together or keep it and just get a D in it? It's been killing me for a few weeks now! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I think you should stick with it. It's probably one of the easier subjects to get marks in, because as long as you can string a few facts together you'll be okay; you don't have to evaluate or analyse. Even if you weren't going to study for it a whole lot - just listen in class, do your homework, and cram before the exam, you'll get on fine.

But if you really do hate it and can't stand it than you might as well drop it, you'll still have 7 subjects so there'll be some room for error. I just don' think it makes much sense, as you'd be amazed how much you can remember in an exam when you're super stressed :D .

And don't ignore Polish, do some prep for it, especially gramatically as many people doing it are able to speak fluently but make a whole lot of errors with ż/rz and all that. Have a look through past papers to find out what needs to be done. It's a subject with high A percentage compared to others, but still I don't think it's more than 20-25% so don't take it for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sara16

Thank you loads for the advice! I actually gave in today and told the year head I'm dropping it. Honestly rather have them 5 classes a week to work on maths and business :D

For polish i should be quite good as far as grammar. Went to polish school for 4 years in Ireland :D
    Thanks again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd still get some extra classes in Polish, to cover things like writing well etc. - as you know Polish teachers (and it will probably be a Polish teacher correcting your exam) are far less forgiving of a poor style of writing. Read good quality Polish newspapers in the run up to the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sara16

Ah yes yes, im hoping to do so :) thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

It would also be beneficial to have a mock polish exam, check these guys out - http://leavingcertpolish.com/ .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Leaving2015

Yeah I would defiantly stay with it! It's not too difficult and the project is worth 20 percent .. Also remember the long questions are slightly predictable and the short questions easy !

Advertisement