Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talbots Saddlery Galway

Options
  • 01-12-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I have started a thread over on the Galway forum and it was suggested I should check here aswell.

Im looking for a photograph of Talbots Saddlery that used to be on Shop Street, Galway.

It was my Grandfathers shop and I'm looking to get a photo of it as a Christmas present for my mother.

There are no photographs of the shop in the family. My father did see a photograph of the shop on one of the walls in Tesco in Galway but it was thrown out after a renovation and no one in Tesco know where they got it from. So a picture does exist.

Would any of ye know of any other places/people I should be chasing up.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

You could try the National Library of Ireland. They have a lot of old photographs, most of which are in the National Photographic Archive (NPA) in Temple Bar. If you contacted them with the town, street name, and rough period of when the shop was there, they may be able to tell you if they have anything of use. They're currently cataloguing a lot of their collections, so it may be of some help. Their website is www.nli.ie. Also, have you tried the local libraries in Galway? They may have something useful or direct/help you with your search.

You could also try posting in the boards.ie History forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=330

• Registered Users Posts: 13 talbots saddlery

convert wrote: »
    You could try the National Library of Ireland. They have a lot of old photographs, most of which are in the National Photographic Archive (NPA) in Temple Bar. If you contacted them with the town, street name, and rough period of when the shop was there, they may be able to tell you if they have anything of use. They're currently cataloguing a lot of their collections, so it may be of some help. Their website is www.nli.ie. Also, have you tried the local libraries in Galway? They may have something useful or direct/help you with your search.

You could also try posting in the boards.ie History forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=330

Thanks Convert. Have sent an email to the NLI so hopefully that might lead to a result. Ive also sent an email to the Dartfield Horse Museum.

Thanks Convert. Have sent an email to the NLI so hopefully that might lead to a result. Ive also sent an email to the Dartfield Horse Museum.

The NLI were very quick to get back to me, which was great. However, no luck with the request. They did invite me to come in though and search through their archives.

In case anyone is interested, or may have to do something similar. So far Ive sent emails to the following people:

National Library of Ireland
    Galway Library
    Galway Memories (facebook page)
    GalwayHistory.info
    oldgalwaypics.co.uk
    Dartfield Horse Museum, Loughrea
    Kennys Bookshop
    Galway City Museum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

This is worth taking a look at too:

https://www.facebook.com/galway.memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

And of course, if I'd refreshed the page before posting, I'd have seen that you got that in in the post before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

You could try the Claregalway hotel, they have a ton of old local pictures hanging downstairs and around the hotel, or some of the old pubs in Galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alive_and_lost

There is a horse enthusiast from galway who runs the blog niamhs weblog she might be of some help even though I know its past Christmas

Advertisement