Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent a car to take to france

Options
  • 02-12-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to rent a car or van to drive to drive to france on holidays, but all the rental companies I rang won't do it. Would anyone know of anybody that might do it? I'm running out of option and would appreciate any idea.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

valerie75 wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I'm looking to rent a car or van to drive to drive to france on holidays, but all the rental companies I rang won't do it. Would anyone know of anybody that might do it? I'm running out of option and would appreciate any idea.
    Thanks.
    I don't understand the logic behind this.. Unless you want some vino to bring home with you.
    P.S Maximum 90 liters per person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP I dont know why you want to do that. If you really want to take the ferry, be a walk on passenger. Most french wine in supermarkets is piss. They export the good stuff.

I know its not relevant. But my mother friends family owned a car rental business. An american rented a car for 2/3 weeks and came back with nearly 7000 miles. They questioned her on where she was. She had been through france, The swiss alps, austria, germany and italy. She didnt think she did anything wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Boaty wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic behind this.. Unless you want some vino to bring home with you.
    P.S Maximum 90 liters per person
    hfallada wrote: »
    OP I dont know why you want to do that. If you really want to take the ferry, be a walk on passenger. Most french wine in supermarkets is piss. They export the good stuff.

I know its not relevant. But my mother friends family owned a car rental business. An american rented a car for 2/3 weeks and came back with nearly 7000 miles. They questioned her on where she was. She had been through france, The swiss alps, austria, germany and italy. She didnt think she did anything wrong

Sorry but where has the OP stated that wine has anything to do with her trip? And by the way the 90 litres is not a maximum in any event, you may be asked to explain why you have more than that but it's not a maximum.

OP - No rental companies allow this. Why don't you want to fly to France and rent a car/van there? Your insurance would be void if you decided to just go without informing the rental company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you really want to take the ferry, go as a foot passenger and rent a car in Cherbourg (Irish Ferries are starting a Dublin-France route in the new year).
    Most french wine in supermarkets is piss. They export the good stuff.

off-topic but this is complete nonsense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

loyatemu wrote: »
    if you really want to take the ferry, go as a foot passenger and rent a car in Cherbourg (Irish Ferries are starting a Dublin-France route in the new year).
    The site doesn't appear to be accepting foot passenger bookings on that route :mad:. I guess the thing to do is phone them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 valerie75

Thanks, the thing is that we lived there for a while and I want to bring back a lot of things that are still have over there, and I don't have a car. Flying or going as a foot passenger is unfortunately not an option as we have to much stuff to bring back.

Again thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

My family live in France for some of the year and I can absolutely assure whoever said it that the wine in the supermarkets is excellent and they most assuredly do not "export all the good stuff"....if anything I'd say the exact opposite!

Back on topic, I guess the thing to do would be to rent off a private individual based here in Ireland OP? With so many people short on cash you might find someone who would be willing to rent you their motor for a week for a fee? Maybe put an ad on Gumtree or something? You won't find a rental company that will do it as they won't allow you to take a vehicle out of the jurisdiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Yeah I doubt you'll find a company willing to allow this. I agree that you'd be better off trying to borrow/rent a car of friend or acquaintance.

The other alternative would be to fly over and post your stuff back in boxes or use a shipping company. It would probably work out the same or cheaper than renting and running a car for the week (depending on how much stuff you have of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Also, when driving in the within the EU you need to have the car's documents which the rental company obviously will not give you.
    Say you are stopped by the French and you can't prove who the car belongs to then it would be seized.
    Good luck calling the renter and explaining this and good luck paying the fine that they'd rape onto your card.
    It's lunacy to even ask them.
    Ask a friend if you can borrow their car (tbh I'd be hesitant handing mine over) or suggest they come with you and you pay their expenses.
    Failing that, have the stuff posted over or even failing that... save up and buy a banger and drive over

Merkin wrote: »
    they won't allow you to take a vehicle out of the jurisdiction.
    They will. Just not off the island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BeerNut wrote: »
    They will. Just not off the island.

Plenty of GB regged self drive vans coming off the ferry from Britain every week. Maybe they think Ireland is still theirs? ;)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Plenty of GB regged self drive vans coming off the ferry from Britain every week.
    Yep, different rules for UK rentals. Here's Enterprise's policy, for instance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Might be worth the OP looking at renting via NI so?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

BeerNut wrote: »
    The site doesn't appear to be accepting foot passenger bookings on that route :mad:. I guess the thing to do is phone them.

I don't think that the ship (the Epsilon) takes foot passengers.

You'd need to go via Rosslare on the Oscar Wilde.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Might be worth the OP looking at renting via NI so?
    I don't think so. It starts by saying you can drive in the UK and Ireland, so when it talks about leaving "the Mainland" by arrangement, I think it means going to the Isle of Man or Channel Islands, say, rather than a different country.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I don't think that the ship (the Epsilon) takes foot passengers.

You'd need to go via Rosslare on the Oscar Wilde.
    Thinking of painting some wheels on the side of a cardboard box. Who'd know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 valerie75

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions. I will look into gumtree and renting from NI.

Advertisement