Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best paying Jobs that suit me!?

• 02-12-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Ok I'm in 5th year and am giving a lot of thought to what I want to do for the rest of my life. I am a bright and competent student aiming for at least 500 points or more depending on what course I choose. Money is a big factor for me but at the same time I want an enjoyable job! I am good at and enjoy English in school.

Lately I have been researching courses and careers a lot and am fairly pissed off at what I am finding! For example, say I bust a gut and study like crazy for the next two years in school. I get enough points for psychology in trinity (565). After 4 years study and min 3 years postgrad study I will more than likely get a job that only pays 35k a year, after many years potentially 50k. All that hard work, getting the top 1% in the leaving cert and paid the same as a plumber or mechanic (no disrespect)! This just doesn't make sense to me! Arts courses seem to lead onto underpaid employment?
    Mini rant over, can any one reccomend me any courses that lead on to careers that can potentially pay 80k plus? Not a complete money orientated fool, just would like to provide for a family and have a good lifestyle while doing something I enjoy. Good at English, Business, Biology, Economics, technology.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

How good you do in the leaving cert, and to a lesser extent what course you choose in college can end up having absolutely nothing to do with what job you'll end up doing. Many people change careers multiple times in their lives.

I would advise you to choose something you enjoy and are passionate about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

You will find out that it is not all about money but about job satisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Paddyg96 wrote: »
    Mini rant over, can any one reccomend me any courses that lead on to careers that can potentially pay 80k plus?
    Do an apprenticeship in plumbing, move to London and, if you're good at what you do, you can command a six-figure salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If you're looking for money become a drug dealer or take a trade, they all pay the best hourly rate for the education involved.

The only way to make more money than a plumber/electrician is a long standing professional career - for example a consultant or in business. You might find well paying jobs in IT or the pharmaceutical industry. Alternatively you can leave school as soon as possible and start working your way up in retail. 10 - 15 years should see you commanding a good salary.

You're salary expectations are a bit unrealistic, perhaps during the celtic tiger days, but that madness is long gone.

All that said and done you're absolutely crazy unless you do something you love, doing a job for the money might get you ten years at it before you drop out and do something you actually wanted to do. If you're in a job as 'dead time' just doing it to get money to do what you really want you're going to start to hate your life.

Find your vocation, give it your all (95% of Irish University students are unbelievably lazy and waste the opportunities that present themselves like internships and work ex) get involved in shed loads of extracurricular, build your contact base and work hard. Money will most likely follow, unless you're exceptionally lucky and you REALLY find a vocation that you'd be happy to do for free.

Advertisement