Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal status of ear cropping and tail docking in Ireland

Options
  • 02-12-2013 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

As the title suggests,I am interested in the current legal status of both ear cropping and tail docking of dogs in the Republic of Ireland. Are they both currently completely illegal or can vets still carry out these procedures legally. I understand that regardless of the legal status it is a high contentious issue among many people. It's more out of curiosity than any other reason that I ask.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There was a thread on this topic recently.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057081117

At this point in time, prior to the new legislation being commenced, vets are forbidden from docking tails, unless it to amputate on medical grounds, which normally means pups and dogs older than the traditional age for docking.
    The new legislation will leave some amount of wriggle room for vets to dock pups, if imminent or future research suggests that this would relieve future suffering or welfare issues for certain types of working dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

dmullins3 wrote: »
    As the title suggests,I am interested in the current legal status of both ear cropping and tail docking of dogs in the Republic of Ireland. Are they both currently completely illegal or can vets still carry out these procedures legally. I understand that regardless of the legal status it is a high contentious issue among many people. It's more out of curiosity than any other reason that I ask.[/quote)

ear cropping,declawing cats and docking tails debarking dogs without a medical reason to do so are all considered mutilations in the eyes of the vet council and a vet reported for doing any of the above faces disciplinary action...
    a lay person chopping the ears off a dog will face cruelty charges.
    Many of the dogs you see cropped In ireland are eastern european imports.I have yet to meet an irish vet who will crop ears.

Advertisement