Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 versus playstation 3

Options
  • 02-12-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, my seven year old is looking for Santa to deliver a games console for Xmas. He wants to play games such as mine craft, skylanders, FIFA 14, etc. His friends mostly have the xbox 360 but I'm not sure whether this is better than the playstation 3 as I keep hearing about them breaking down and the dreaded red ring! Too young for me to splash out on ps4 or xbox one so any advice about which to get would be most appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Jonathan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Jonandjess wrote: »
    Hi, my seven year old is looking for Santa to deliver a games console for Xmas. He wants to play games such as mine craft, skylanders, FIFA 14, etc. His friends mostly have the xbox 360 but I'm not sure whether this is better than the playstation 3 as I keep hearing about them breaking down and the dreaded red ring! Too young for me to splash out on ps4 or xbox one so any advice about which to get would be most appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Jonathan

A new XBOX will not suffer from the ring of death. If his friends play XBOX buy him an XBOX. PS3 has the advantage of also being a Blue ray player but I dont think you care much about this, he def wont if all he wants is to play

I have them both (PS3 and XBOX) so I am not being a fan boy and I am not saying the XBOX is better (nor worse) but it makes sense that if all his friends are on XBOX live then he should be as well, otherwise you will regret it. If all his friends had the PS3 I will be recommending the PS3 instead.

Just take away the mic please.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jonandjess wrote: »
    Kind regards,
    Jonathan

If his friends mostly have the 360, then that's what you should be looking at so he will be able to interact with them online in Minecraft etc. The newer 360's have all the problems & bugs ironed out of them at this stage & are a pretty reliable console :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jonandjess

@Bohrio and @Myrddin. Thanks so much for your speedy replies and advice. We were thinking along the lines of the xbox because most friends have this but not being a gamer myself thought it best to get some advice from others. I feel better about getting the xbox now! Once again thanks!
    Kind regards,
    Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Would agree with previous posters, but a heads up: For online play you will need an xbox (premium) gold account which can cost about 35€ per year. Not overly necessary but for party chat with friends or playing them online it's needed. I think, one to one chat is with a (standard) Silver account. I guess with a seven year old, it would mostly be an unnecessary expense though.

Advertisement